Dr. Leslie Nelson, PT, PhD, is a physical therapist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas where she serves as Assistant Faculty in the Department of Physical Therapy. She coordinates and guest lectures in core and patient management courses, service learning, as well as in the research curriculum. In addition to her teaching responsibilities, she is an evaluator for independent and industry sponsored clinical trials and sees pediatric and adult patients with various neuromuscular disorders clinically. She has specialized in neuromuscular disorders since 2004, with special interest in clinical outcomes for neuromuscular populations, specifically DMD and SMA.
Leslie has an interest in clinical evaluation of patients with DMD, SMA, CMT, and myotubular myopathy. She is involved in training clinical evaluators for clinical trials and in the ongoing development of clinically relevant measures for use in neuromuscular trials.
- Undergraduate School
- Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine (1999)
- Texas A & M University College of Medicine (1999)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003)
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Physical Therapy
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2003)
- pediatric and adult neuromuscular disease
- Ataluren treatment of patients with nonsense mutation dystrophinopathy.
- Bushby K, Finkel R, Wong B, Barohn R, Campbell C, Comi GP, Connolly AM, Day JW, Flanigan KM, Goemans N, Jones KJ, Mercuri E, Quinlivan R, Renfroe JB, Russman B, Ryan MM, Tulinius M, Voit T, Moore SA, Lee Sweeney H, Abresch RT, Coleman KL, Eagle M, Florence J, Gappmaier E, Glanzman AM, Henricson E, Barth J, Elfring GL, Reha A, Spiegel RJ, O'donnell MW, Peltz SW, Mcdonald CM Muscle Nerve 2014 Oct 50 4 477-87
- Diagnostic approach to the congenital muscular dystrophies.
- Bönnemann CG, Wang CH, Quijano-Roy S, Deconinck N, Bertini E, Ferreiro A, Muntoni F, Sewry C, Béroud C, Mathews KD, Moore SA, Bellini J, Rutkowski A, North KN Neuromuscul. Disord. 2014 Apr 24 4 289-311
- Rasch analysis of clinical outcome measures in spinal muscular atrophy.
- Cano SJ, Mayhew A, Glanzman AM, Krosschell KJ, Swoboda KJ, Main M, Steffensen BF, Bérard C, Girardot F, Payan CA, Mercuri E, Mazzone E, Elsheikh B, Florence J, Hynan LS, Iannaccone ST, Nelson LL, Pandya S, Rose M, Scott C, Sadjadi R, Yore MA, Joyce C, Kissel JT Muscle Nerve 2013 Jul
- Consensus statement on standard of care for congenital muscular dystrophies.
- Wang CH, Bonnemann CG, Rutkowski A, Sejersen T, Bellini J, Battista V, Florence JM, Schara U, Schuler PM, Wahbi K, Aloysius A, Bash RO, Béroud C, Bertini E, Bushby K, Cohn RD, Connolly AM, Deconinck N, Desguerre I, Eagle M, Estournet-Mathiaud B, Ferreiro A, Fujak A, Goemans N, Iannaccone ST, Jouinot P, Main M, Melacini P, Mueller-Felber W, Muntoni F, Nelson LL, Rahbek J, Quijano-Roy S, Sewry C, Storhaug K, Simonds A, Tseng B, Vajsar J, Vianello A, Zeller R J. Child Neurol. 2010 Dec 25 12 1559-81
- The test of infant motor performance: reliability in spinal muscular atrophy type I.
- Finkel RS, Hynan LS, Glanzman AM, Owens H, Nelson L, Cone SR, Campbell SK, Iannaccone ST Pediatr Phys Ther 2008 20 3 242-6
- The gross motor function measure is a valid and sensitive outcome measure for spinal muscular atrophy.
- Nelson L, Owens H, Hynan LS, Iannaccone ST Neuromuscul. Disord. 2006 Jun 16 6 374-80
Spinal Muscular Atrophy Clinical Trials: Lessons Learned. In Spinal Muscular Atrophy: Disease Mechanisms and Therapy
Iannaccone ST, Nelson LN (2017). San Diego, Academic Press
Honors & Awards
- 2015 New Investigator Award
University of Texas Southwestern School of Health Professions (2015-2015)