As an undergraduate, Dr. Gibson studied biophysics at the University of California at Berkeley. Under the guidance of Dr. John Maunsell, he completed his PhD in 1995 at the University of Rochester, which focused on neocortical activity related to visual processing. Next, he worked under Dr. Barry Connors studying the electrophysiological properties of inhibitory interneurons in somatosensory cortex.
Dr. Gibson joined the Center for Basic Neuroscience at UT Southwestern in 2001. Currently, the lab uses electrophysiological techniques to study the plasticity of cortical inhibitory circuitry and alterations in circuitry in the Fragile X Syndrome mouse model. A post doc position is currently available, and interested candidates are welcome to contact through email.
- Graduate School
- University of Rochester (1995)
- Neuronal Circuits in Neocortex
- FOXP1 negatively regulates intrinsic excitability in D2 striatal projection neurons by promoting inwardly rectifying and leak potassium currents
- Khandelwal N, Cavalier S, Rybalchenko V, Kulkarni A, Anderson AG, Konopka G, Gibson JR Molecular Psychiatry 2021 in press
- Audiogenic seizures in the Fmr1 knockout mouse are induced by Fmr1 deletion in subcortical, vGlut2-expressing excitatory neurons and require deletion in the Inferior Colliculus.
- Gonzalez D, Tomasek M, Hays S, Sridhar V, Ammanuel S, Chang CW, Pawlowski K, Huber KM, Gibson JR, J. Neurosci. 2019 Oct
- Experience-Dependent and Differential Regulation of Local and Long-Range Excitatory Neocortical Circuits by Postsynaptic Mef2c.
- Rajkovich KE, Loerwald KW, Hale CF, Hess CT, Gibson JR, Huber KM Neuron 2016 Dec
- Postsynaptic FMRP Promotes the Pruning of Cell-to-Cell Connections among Pyramidal Neurons in the L5A Neocortical Network.
- Patel AB, Loerwald KW, Huber KM, Gibson JR J. Neurosci. 2014 Feb 34 9 3413-8
- A Target Cell-Specific Role for Presynaptic Fmr1 in Regulating Glutamate Release onto Neocortical Fast-Spiking Inhibitory Neurons.
- Patel AB, Hays SA, Bureau I, Huber KM, Gibson JR J. Neurosci. 2013 Feb 33 6 2593-604
- Altered neocortical rhythmic activity states in Fmr1 KO mice are due to enhanced mGluR5 signaling and involve changes in excitatory circuitry.
- Hays SA, Huber KM, Gibson JR J. Neurosci. 2011 Oct 31 40 14223-34
- Neuroligin-2 deletion selectively decreases inhibitory synaptic transmission originating from fast-spiking but not from somatostatin-positive interneurons.
- Gibson JR, Huber KM, Südhof TC J. Neurosci. 2009 Nov 29 44 13883-97
- Two networks of electrically coupled inhibitory neurons in neocortex.
- Gibson JR, Beierlein M, Connors BW Nature 1999 Nov 402 6757 75-9
- FoxP1 orchestration of ASD-relevant signaling pathways in the striatum.
- Araujo DJ, Anderson AG, Berto S, Runnels W, Harper M, Ammanuel S, Rieger MA, Huang HC, Rajkovich K, Loerwald KW, Dekker JD, Tucker HO, Dougherty JD, Gibson JR, Konopka G Genes Dev. 2015 Oct 29 20 2081-96
- Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP)-Expressing Neurons in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus Provide Sparse GABAergic Outputs to Local Neurons with Circadian Regulation Occurring Distal to the Opening of Postsynaptic GABAA Ionotropic Receptors.
- Fan J, Zeng H, Olson DP, Huber KM, Gibson JR, Takahashi JS J. Neurosci. 2015 Feb 35 5 1905-20
Honors & Awards
- FRAXA Fellowship
Research for Fragile X Syndrome (2006)
- Klingenstein Fellowship
Award in the Neurosciences (2002)