Dr. Nijhawan is originally from the Netherlands although she has spent most of her life in the United States. She completed medical school at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2001. She received her internal medicine training at Parkland Hospital/UT Southwestern. She completed her infectious diseases fellowship, including a clinical year dedicated solely to HIV, at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital combined training program. She then pursued a clinical research fellowship at Brown University/Miriam Hospital. She obtained a Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2009.
Dr. Nijhawan’s clinical work is currently focused on HIV care, both in the outpatient setting and at the Dallas county jail.
She conducts clinical research in the area of HIV and sexually transmitted infections, with a focus on epidemiology and health services. She brings to UTSW the unique combination of HIV clinical expertise and clinical research in vulnerable populations, particularly in correctional health. Dr. Nijhawan’s interests outside the hospital include her two children, soccer, running, and camping.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2001)
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2004), Internal Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Woman's Hospital (2007), Infectious Diseases
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (2009)
- Brown University Program (2009), Research
- Correctional health
- Health disparities
- Health services and outcomes research
- Sexually transmitted infections
- HCV prevalence estimates among incarcerated persons.
- Spaulding AC, Graham CS, Akiyama MJ, Chhatwal J, Nijhawan AE, Ninburg MH, Rich JD, Strick LB, Taylor LE, Trooskin SB, Westergaard RP, Sabol WJ, Hepatology 2019 Apr
- Clinical and Sociobehavioral Prediction Model of 30-Day Hospital Readmissions Among People With HIV and Substance Use Disorder: Beyond Electronic Health Record Data.
- Nijhawan AE, Metsch LR, Zhang S, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Jain MK, Walker R, Huffaker S, Mugavero MJ, Jacobs P, Armstrong WS, Daar ES, Sullivan M, Del Rio C, Halm EA J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2019 Mar 80 3 330-341
- Discontinuity in Medicaid Coverage Among Young Adults with HIV.
- Rusley JC, Monroe A, Matson P, Gebo KA, Nonyane BAS, Minkovitz CS, Agwu A, Emerson M, Moore R, Rutstein R, Aberg J, Nijhawan A, Boswell S, Sanders R, AIDS Patient Care STDS 2019 03 33 3 89-92
- Uptake and virological outcomes of single- versus multi-tablet antiretroviral regimens among treatment-naïve youth in the HIV Research Network.
- Griffith DC, Farmer C, Gebo KA, Berry SA, Aberg J, Moore RD, Gaur AH, Mathews WC, Beil R, Korthuis PT, Nijhawan AE, Rutstein RM, Agwu AL HIV Med. 2019 Feb 20 2 169-174
- Patient and Provider Perspectives on 30-Day Readmissions, Preventability, and Strategies for Improving Transitions of Care for Patients with HIV at a Safety Net Hospital.
- Nijhawan AE, Higashi RT, Marks EG, Tiruneh YM, Lee SC J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care 2019 Jan-Dec 18 2325958219827615
- The North-South Divide: Substance Use Risk, Care Engagement, and Viral Suppression Among Hospitalized Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Patients in 11 US Cities.
- Philbin MM, Feaster DJ, Gooden L, Duan R, Das M, Jacobs P, Lucas GM, Batey DS, Nijhawan A, Jacobson JM, Mandler R, Daar E, McMahon DK, Armstrong WS, Del Rio C, Metsch LR, Clin. Infect. Dis. 2019 Jan 68 1 146-149
- Patterns of Substance Use and Arrest Histories Among Hospitalized HIV Drug Users: A Latent Class Analysis.
- Shiu-Yee K, Brincks AM, Feaster DJ, Frimpong JA, Nijhawan A, Mandler RN, Schwartz R, Del Rio C, Metsch LR, AIDS Behav 2018 Sep 22 9 2757-2765
- Improving HIV Care Engagement in the South from the Patient and Provider Perspective: The Role of Stigma, Social Support, and Shared Decision-Making.
- Taylor BS, Fornos L, Tarbutton J, Muñoz J, Saber JA, Bullock D, Villarreal R, Nijhawan AE AIDS Patient Care STDS 2018 Sep 32 9 368-378
- Psychosocial Factors Associated with Problem Drinking Among Substance Users with Poorly Controlled HIV Infection.
- Elliott JC, Brincks AM, Feaster DJ, Hasin DS, Del Rio C, Lucas GM, Rodriguez AE, Nijhawan AE, Metsch LR Alcohol Alcohol. 2018 Mar
- HIV Care After Jail: Low Rates of Engagement in a Vulnerable Population.
- Ammon B, Iroh P, Tiruneh Y, Li X, Montague BT, Rich JD, Nijhawan AE J Urban Health 2018 Mar
Interventions with incarcerated persons. In HIV Prevention
Nijhawan A, Zaller N, Cohen D, Rich J (2009). London, UK, Academic Press
Managing STDs in the Correctional Setting: A Guide for Clinicians, 2nd Edition
Hsu, Jolin, Miller, Lincoln, Lubelczyk, Nijhawan (February 2011).
Acture retroviral syndrome, PCP and other HIV-related pulmonary diseases, immune reconstitution syndrome. In Parkland Manual of Inpatient Medicine: an Evidence-based Guide
Vriesendorp A, (2006). Philadelphia, F.A. Davis
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Scholar- UT Center for Translational Medicine
Research training program for junior faculty (2012-2015)
- American STD Association Developmental Award
Research grant for young investigator in field of STDs (2010-2012)
- Academic Consortium on Criminal Justice Health (2016)
- Center for AIDS Research- Collaboration on HIV in Corrections (CFAR-CHIC) (2010)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2009-2010)
- Society of Correctional Physicians (2007)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2005)