Dr. Nijhawan is originally from the Netherlands although she has spent most of her life in the United States. She completed medical school at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2001. She received her internal medicine training at Parkland Hospital/UT Southwestern. She completed her infectious diseases fellowship, including a clinical year dedicated solely to HIV, at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital combined training program. She then pursued a clinical research fellowship at Brown University/Miriam Hospital. She obtained a Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2009.
Dr. Nijhawan’s clinical work is currently focused on HIV care, both in the outpatient setting and at the Dallas county jail.
She conducts clinical research in the area of HIV and sexually transmitted infections, with a focus on epidemiology and health services. She brings to UTSW the unique combination of HIV clinical expertise and clinical research in vulnerable populations, particularly in correctional health. Dr. Nijhawan’s interests outside the hospital include her two children, soccer, running, and camping.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2001)
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2004), Internal Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Woman's Hospital (2007), Infectious Diseases
- Graduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (2009)
- Brown University Program (2009), Research
- Correctional health
- Health disparities
- Health services and outcomes research
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Methadone and buprenorphine prescribing and referral practices in US prison systems: results from a nationwide survey.
- Nunn A, Zaller N, Dickman S, Trimbur C, Nijhawan A, Rich JD, Drug Alcohol Depend 2009 Nov 105 1-2 83-8
- Status epilepticus resulting from severe efavirenz toxicity in an HIV-infected patient.
- Nijhawan AE, Zachary KC, Kwara A, Venna N AIDS Read 2008 Jul 18 7 386-8, C3
- Falling Through the Cracks: Risk Factors for Becoming Lost to HIV Care After Incarceration in a Southern Jail.
- Tiruneh YM, Li X, Bovell-Ammon B, Iroh P, Flanigan TP, Montague BT, Rich JD, Nijhawan AE, AIDS Behav 2020 Jan
- U.S. Hospitalization rates and reasons stratified by age among persons with HIV 2014-15.
- Fleming J, Berry SA, Moore RD, Nijhawan A, Somboonwit C, Cheever L, Gebo KA, AIDS Care 2019 Dec 1-10
- Erratum to: An Outbreak of Brucellosis: An Adult and Pediatric Case Series.
- Hassouneh L, Quadri S, Reto PP, Chaisavaneeyakorn S, Cutrell JB, Wetzel DM, Nijhawan AE, Open Forum Infect Dis 2019 Dec 6 12 ofz527
- HIV care cascade before and after hospitalization: impact of a multidisciplinary inpatient team in the US South.
- Nijhawan AE, Bhattatiry M, Chansard M, Zhang S, Halm EA, AIDS Care 2019 Dec 1-10
- An Outbreak of Brucellosis: An Adult and Pediatric Case Series.
- Hassouneh L, Quadri S, Reto PP, Chaisavaneeyakorn S, Cutrell JB, Wetzel DM, Nijhawan AE, Open Forum Infect Dis 2019 Oct 6 10 ofz384
- Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the Dallas County Jail: Implications for Screening, Prevention, and Linkage to Care.
- Abe CM, Aguwa M, Zhao M, Sullivan J, Porsa E, Nijhawan AE, Public Health Rep 2019 Sep 33354919874081
- Sexually Transmitted Infections Detected During and After Incarceration Among People with Human Immunodeficiency Virus: Prevalence and Implications for Screening and Prevention.
- Krieger D, Abe C, Pottorff A, Li X, Rich J, Nijhawan AE, Sex Transm Dis 2019 09 46 9 602-607
- Combined estimation of disease progression and retention on antiretroviral therapy among treated individuals with HIV in the USA: a modelling study.
- Wang L, Krebs E, Min JE, Mathews WC, Nijhawan A, Somboonwit C, Aberg JA, Moore RD, Gebo KA, Nosyk B, Lancet HIV 2019 Aug 6 8 e531-e539
Interventions with incarcerated persons. In HIV Prevention
Nijhawan A, Zaller N, Cohen D, Rich J (2009). London, UK, Academic Press
Managing STDs in the Correctional Setting: A Guide for Clinicians, 2nd Edition
Hsu, Jolin, Miller, Lincoln, Lubelczyk, Nijhawan (February 2011).
Acture retroviral syndrome, PCP and other HIV-related pulmonary diseases, immune reconstitution syndrome. In Parkland Manual of Inpatient Medicine: an Evidence-based Guide
Vriesendorp A, (2006). Philadelphia, F.A. Davis
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Scholar- UT Center for Translational Medicine
Research training program for junior faculty (2012-2015)
- American STD Association Developmental Award
Research grant for young investigator in field of STDs (2010-2012)
- Academic Consortium on Criminal Justice Health (2016)
- Center for AIDS Research- Collaboration on HIV in Corrections (CFAR-CHIC) (2010)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2009-2010)
- Society of Correctional Physicians (2007)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2005)