Dr. Jacqueline O’Leary began her pursuit of research as an undergraduate at Stanford investigating drug development, continued at UCSF where she received an MD with thesis for work in cellular and molecular biology. Following her internal medicine residency at UT Southwestern in Dallas, Dr. O’Leary did a GI fellowship and transplant Hepatology fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital. Her post-doctoral research there at Harvard focused on immunology. Afterward, she completed a Master’s in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health. These accomplishments make her uniquely poised to translate research findings into clinical care.
In addition to her clinical work as a transplant hepatologist, she received the Vanguard award, from the International Liver Transplant Society for her research on donor specific antibodies in liver transplantation. She consistently earns “Best Doctors in Dallas” awards and US News & World Report Top Doctors. Her clinical practice emphasizes personalized patient-centered care.
- Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure
- Antibody Mediated Rejection in Liver Transplantation
- Serum Levels of Metabolites Produced by Intestinal Microbes and Lipid Moieties Independently Associated With Acute on Chronic Liver Failure and Death in Patients With Cirrhosis.
- Bajaj JS, Reddy KR, O'Leary JG, Vargas HE, Lai JC, Kamath PS, Tandon P, Wong F, Subramanian RM, Thuluvath P, Fagan A, White MB, Gavis EA, Sehrawat T, Rodriguez RR, Thacker LR, Sikaroodi M, Garcia-Tsao G, Gillevet PM, Gastroenterology 2020 Jul
- Model for End-stage Liver Disease-Lactate and Prediction of Inpatient Mortality in Patients with Chronic Liver Disease.
- Sarmast N, Ogola GO, Kouznetsova M, Leise M, Bahirwani R, Maiwall R, Tapper E, Trotter J, Bajaj J, Thacker LR, Tandon P, Wong F, Reddy R, O'Leary JG, Masica A, Modrykamien AM, Kamath PS, Asrani SK, Hepatology 2020 Feb
- Targets to improve quality of care for patients with hepatic encephalopathy: data from a multi-centre cohort.
- Bajaj JS, O'Leary JG, Tandon P, Wong F, Kamath PS, Biggins SW, Garcia-Tsao G, Lai J, Fallon MB, Thuluvath PJ, Vargas HE, Maliakkal B, Subramanian RM, Thacker LR, Reddy KR, Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2019 Apr
- Outcomes after Listing for Liver Transplant in Patients with Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure (ACLF): The Multicenter NACSELD Experience.
- O'Leary JG, Bajaj JS, Tandon P, Biggins SW, Wong F, Kamath PS, Garcia-Tsao G, Maliakkal B, Lai J, Fallon M, Vargas HE, Thuluvath P, Subramanian R, Thacker LR, Reddy RK Liver Transpl. 2019 Feb
- Association Between Intestinal Microbiota Collected at Hospital Admission and Outcomes of Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Bajaj JS, Vargas HE, Reddy KR, Lai JC, O'leary JG, Tandon P, Wong F, Mitrani R, White MB, Kelly M, Fagan A, Patil R, Sait S, Sikaroodi M, Thacker LR, Gillevet PM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 Jul
- Chronic AMR in Liver Transplant: Validation of the 1-Year cAMR Score's Ability to Determine Long-term Outcome.
- O'Leary JG, Smith C, Cai J, Hart B, Jennings LW, Everly M, Klintmalm GB, Demetris AJ Transplantation 2017 Sep 101 9 2062-2070
- Acute Kidney Injury in Cirrhosis: Baseline Serum Creatinine Predicts Patient Outcomes.
- Wong F, O'Leary JG, Reddy KR, Garcia-Tsao G, Fallon MB, Biggins SW, Subramanian RM, Thuluvath PJ, Kamath PS, Patton H, Maliakkal B, Tandon P, Vargas H, Thacker L, Bajaj JS Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Jul 112 7 1103-1110
- Non-HLA Antibodies Impact on C4d staining, Stellate Cell Activation and Fibrosis in Liver Allografts.
- O'Leary JG, Demetris AJ, Philippe A, Freeman R, Cai J, Heidecke H, Smith C, Hart B, Jennings LW, Catar R, Everly M, Klintmalm GB, Dragun D Transplantation 2017 Jun
- Gender-Specific Differences in Baseline, Peak, and Delta Serum Creatinine: The NACSELD Experience.
- O'Leary JG, Wong F, Reddy KR, Garcia-Tsao G, Kamath PS, Biggins SW, Fallon MB, Subramanian RM, Maliakkal B, Thacker L, Bajaj JS Dig. Dis. Sci. 2017 Mar 62 3 768-776
- Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for Chronic Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Liver Allografts.
- O'Leary JG, Cai J, Freeman R, Banuelos N, Hart B, Johnson M, Jennings LW, Kaneku H, Terasaki PI, Klintmalm GB, Demetris AJ Am. J. Transplant. 2016 Feb 16 2 603-14
Late Complications of Liver Transplantation. In Liver Transplantation
O'Leary JG, Trotter JF (2015).
Surgery in the patient with liver disease and postoperative jaundice. In Handbook of Liver Disease
O'Leary, JG, Friedman LS (2011).
Hepatitis C. In Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th Ed.
O'Leary, JG, Davis GL ().
Surgery in the patient with liver disease. In Clinics in Liver Disease
O'Leary JG, Yachimski PS, Friedman LS (2009).
Management of the Surgical Patient with Liver Disease. In Medical Management of the Surgical Patient
O'Leary JG, Friedman, LS ().
Honors & Awards
- Bilhartz UTSW GI Fellowship Teaching Award
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2016)
- Clinical Science Investigator
American Society for Transplantation Award (2015)
- Best Doctors in America
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2012)
- Top Doctors
US News and World Report (2011-2016)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
- American Society of Transplantation (2017)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2013)
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (2012)
- American Gastroenterology Association (2009)
- International Liver Transplant Society (2009)
- AASLD (2002)