Originally from Pontiac, Michigan, Dr. O'Leary holds a bachelor's degree with honors and distinction in biological sciences from Stanford University in Stanford, California. She earned her medical degree at the University of California-San Francisco. She later completed a master's degree in public health from the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. She completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She then completed advanced training through fellowships in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. She did postdoctoral research at the Center for Blood Research at Harvard Medical School.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology and liver transplant hepatology, Dr. O'Leary joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017. She is currently the Chief of Hepatology at the North Texas VA Health Care System in Dallas.
Dr. O'Leary is a member of the Transplantation Society, the European Association for the Study of the Liver, the American Society of Transplantation, the International Liver Transplant Society, the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease, and the American Gastrointestinal Association.
Dr. O'Leary's research interests include liver transplants, liver donor health, and simultaneous liver-kidney transplants. Her findings have resulted in numerous clinical trials, international and national lectures, editorials, book chapters, letters to the editor, and peer-reviewed publications.
- Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure
- Antibody Mediated Rejection in Liver Transplantation
- Serum Levels of Metabolites Produced by Intestinal Microbes and Lipid Moieties Independently Associated With Acute on Chronic Liver Failure and Death in Patients With Cirrhosis.
- Bajaj JS, Reddy KR, O'Leary JG, Vargas HE, Lai JC, Kamath PS, Tandon P, Wong F, Subramanian RM, Thuluvath P, Fagan A, White MB, Gavis EA, Sehrawat T, Rodriguez RR, Thacker LR, Sikaroodi M, Garcia-Tsao G, Gillevet PM, Gastroenterology 2020 Jul
- Model for End-stage Liver Disease-Lactate and Prediction of Inpatient Mortality in Patients with Chronic Liver Disease.
- Sarmast N, Ogola GO, Kouznetsova M, Leise M, Bahirwani R, Maiwall R, Tapper E, Trotter J, Bajaj J, Thacker LR, Tandon P, Wong F, Reddy R, O'Leary JG, Masica A, Modrykamien AM, Kamath PS, Asrani SK, Hepatology 2020 Feb
- Targets to improve quality of care for patients with hepatic encephalopathy: data from a multi-centre cohort.
- Bajaj JS, O'Leary JG, Tandon P, Wong F, Kamath PS, Biggins SW, Garcia-Tsao G, Lai J, Fallon MB, Thuluvath PJ, Vargas HE, Maliakkal B, Subramanian RM, Thacker LR, Reddy KR, Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2019 Apr
- Outcomes after Listing for Liver Transplant in Patients with Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure (ACLF): The Multicenter NACSELD Experience.
- O'Leary JG, Bajaj JS, Tandon P, Biggins SW, Wong F, Kamath PS, Garcia-Tsao G, Maliakkal B, Lai J, Fallon M, Vargas HE, Thuluvath P, Subramanian R, Thacker LR, Reddy RK Liver Transpl. 2019 Feb
- Association Between Intestinal Microbiota Collected at Hospital Admission and Outcomes of Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Bajaj JS, Vargas HE, Reddy KR, Lai JC, O'leary JG, Tandon P, Wong F, Mitrani R, White MB, Kelly M, Fagan A, Patil R, Sait S, Sikaroodi M, Thacker LR, Gillevet PM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 Jul
- Chronic AMR in Liver Transplant: Validation of the 1-Year cAMR Score's Ability to Determine Long-term Outcome.
- O'Leary JG, Smith C, Cai J, Hart B, Jennings LW, Everly M, Klintmalm GB, Demetris AJ Transplantation 2017 Sep 101 9 2062-2070
- Acute Kidney Injury in Cirrhosis: Baseline Serum Creatinine Predicts Patient Outcomes.
- Wong F, O'Leary JG, Reddy KR, Garcia-Tsao G, Fallon MB, Biggins SW, Subramanian RM, Thuluvath PJ, Kamath PS, Patton H, Maliakkal B, Tandon P, Vargas H, Thacker L, Bajaj JS Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Jul 112 7 1103-1110
- Non-HLA Antibodies Impact on C4d staining, Stellate Cell Activation and Fibrosis in Liver Allografts.
- O'Leary JG, Demetris AJ, Philippe A, Freeman R, Cai J, Heidecke H, Smith C, Hart B, Jennings LW, Catar R, Everly M, Klintmalm GB, Dragun D Transplantation 2017 Jun
- Gender-Specific Differences in Baseline, Peak, and Delta Serum Creatinine: The NACSELD Experience.
- O'Leary JG, Wong F, Reddy KR, Garcia-Tsao G, Kamath PS, Biggins SW, Fallon MB, Subramanian RM, Maliakkal B, Thacker L, Bajaj JS Dig. Dis. Sci. 2017 Mar 62 3 768-776
- Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for Chronic Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Liver Allografts.
- O'Leary JG, Cai J, Freeman R, Banuelos N, Hart B, Johnson M, Jennings LW, Kaneku H, Terasaki PI, Klintmalm GB, Demetris AJ Am. J. Transplant. 2016 Feb 16 2 603-14
Late Complications of Liver Transplantation. In Liver Transplantation
O'Leary JG, Trotter JF (2015).
Surgery in the patient with liver disease and postoperative jaundice. In Handbook of Liver Disease
O'Leary, JG, Friedman LS (2011).
Hepatitis C. In Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th Ed.
O'Leary, JG, Davis GL ().
Surgery in the patient with liver disease. In Clinics in Liver Disease
O'Leary JG, Yachimski PS, Friedman LS (2009).
Management of the Surgical Patient with Liver Disease. In Medical Management of the Surgical Patient
O'Leary JG, Friedman, LS ().
Honors & Awards
- Bilhartz UTSW GI Fellowship Teaching Award
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2016)
- Clinical Science Investigator
American Society for Transplantation Award (2015)
- Best Doctors in America
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
International Liver Transplant Society (2012)
- Top Doctors
US News and World Report (2011-2016)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
- AASLD (2002)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2013)
- American Gastroenterology Association (2009)
- American Society of Transplantation (2017)
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (2012)
- International Liver Transplant Society (2009)