Jaya Trivedi, M.D., is Professor & Vice Chair for Ambulatory Operations and External Relations in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She also serves as Program Director of the Neuromuscular Medicine fellowship. She specializes in neuromuscular disorders and is considered an expert in skeletal muscle channelopathies.
Dr. Trivedi earned her medical degree at Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College in India. She completed internal medicine residencies at Sheth K.M. School of P.G. Medicine & Research in India and at Overlook Hospital in New Jersey before joining UT Southwestern, where she completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in neuromuscular medicine.
She is certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and has subspecialty certification in Neuromuscular Medicine and Clinical Neurophysiology.
Her clinical interests include skeletal muscle channelopathies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, neuropathies, and myopathies. She has been involved in several clinical trials and was site PI for some of the landmark trials in non-dystrophic myotonia and periodic paralysis. She serves as co-PI of the NIH-funded Wellstone Training Core grant, the goal of which is to recruit, train, and maintain the next generation of transformative investigators focused on addressing the challenges of muscular dystrophy.
She has authored and co-authored publications, reviews, and book chapters. Some of her notable publications include the natural history study in non-dystrophic myotonia and the role of denture cream in neurological disease. The denture cream study garnered significant national attention leading to an interview by NBC which was aired on “Good Morning America”.
She has mentored numerous residents and fellows at UT Southwestern Medical Center, many of whom have pursued academic careers. She has twice been honored with the prestigious Trephined Cranium Neurology Resident Teaching award. Besides teaching residents and fellows, she organizes and directs annual CME conferences such as the Brain Summit and Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular symposium for the local and national neurology community, respectively.
Dr. Trivedi also serves as a member of the Medical Economics and Practice Committee for the American Academy of Neurology and on the medical advisory board for the Periodic Paralysis Association. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Neurological Association.
- Medical School
- Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College, India (1992)
- Seth Kanaiyalal Motilal (1993), Internal Medicine
- Seth Kanaiyalal Motilal (1995), Internal Medicine
- Overlook Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Neuromuscular Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Andersen-Tawil syndrome
- Inclusion Body Myositis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Non-dystrophic Myotonia
- Periodic Paralysis
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Clinical Review of Muscle-Specific Tyrosine Kinase-Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis.
- Wolfe G.I., Trivedi J.R., Oh S.J. Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease 2007 8 217-224
- Long-term Safety and Efficacy of Avalglucosidase Alfa in Patients With Late-Onset Pompe Disease.
- Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ, Byrne B, Goker-Alpan O, Kishnani PS, Ladha S, Laforêt P, Mengel KE, Peña LDM, Sacconi S, Straub V, Trivedi J, Van Damme P, van der Ploeg AT, Vissing J, Young P, Haack KA, Foster M, Gilbert JM, Miossec P, Vitse O, Zhou T, Schoser B, Neurology 2022 May
- Port-Wine Stain and Monomelic Weakness Associated With Perineurioma: A Neuromuscular Image.
- Riecke J, Chhabra A, Burns D, Trivedi JR, J Clin Neuromuscul Dis 2022 Mar 23 3 156-159
- Eculizumab in refractory generalized myasthenia gravis previously treated with rituximab: subgroup analysis of REGAIN and its extension study.
- Siddiqi ZA, Nowak RJ, Mozaffar T, O'Brien F, Yountz M, Patti F, Muscle Nerve 2021 Sep
- New patient access via telehealth in neuromuscular medicine during COVID-19.
- Khan S, Kramer A, McIver J, Cady L, Trivedi JR, Work 2021 Jun
- Investigating Late-Onset Pompe Prevalence in Neuromuscular Medicine Academic Practices (The IPaNeMA Study)
- Wencel M, Shaibani A, Goyal N, Dimachkie M, Trivedi J et al. Neurol Genet 2021 7 6 e623
- Patient Assisted Intervention for Neuropathy: Comparison of Treatment in Real Life Situations (PAIN-CONTRoLS): Bayesian Adaptive Comparative Effectiveness Randomized Trial.
- Barohn RJ, Gajewski B, Pasnoor M, Brown A, Herbelin LL, Kimminau KS, Mudaranthakam DP, Jawdat O, Dimachkie MM, Iyadurai S, Stino A, Kissel J, Pascuzzi R, Brannagan T, Wicklund M, Ahmed A, Walk D, Smith G, Quan D, Heitzman D, Tobon A, Ladha S, Wolfe G, Pulley M, Hayat G, Li Y, Thaisetthawatkul P, Lewis R, Biliciler S, Sharma K, Salajegheh K, Trivedi J, Mallonee W, Burns T, Jacoby M, Bril V, Vu T, Ramchandren S, Bazant M, Austin S, Karam C, Hussain Y, Kutz C, Twydell P, Scelsa S, Kushlaf H, Wymer J, Hehir M, Kolb N, Ralph J, Barboi A, Verma N, Ahmed M, Memon A, Saperstein D, Lou JS, Swenson A, Cash T, JAMA Neurol 2020 Aug
- Validation of serum neurofilaments as prognostic and potential pharmacodynamic biomarkers for ALS.
- Benatar M, Zhang L, Wang L, Granit V, Statland J, Barohn R, Swenson A, Ravits J, Jackson C, Burns TM, Trivedi J, Pioro EP, Caress J, Katz J, McCauley JL, Rademakers R, Malaspina A, Ostrow LW, Wuu J, Neurology 2020 May
- Guidelines on clinical presentation and management of non-dystrophic myotonias.
- Stunnenberg B, LoRusso S, Arnold WD, Barohn RJ, Cannon SC, Fontaine B, Griggs RC, Hanna MG, Matthews E, Meola G, Sansone VA, Trivedi JR, van Engelen B, Vicart S, Statland JM, Muscle Nerve 2020 Apr
- 'Minimal symptom expression' in patients with acetylcholine receptor antibody-positive refractory generalized myasthenia gravis treated with eculizumab.
- Vissing J, Jacob S, Fujita KP, O'Brien F, Howard JF, J. Neurol. 2020 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
Department of Neurology (2007)
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
Department of Neurology (2003)
- Senior Resident of the Year
From Staff of Acute Stroke Unit/Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at PMH, Dallas, Tx (2000)
- Outstanding Resident
Achievement in Clinical Science&Humanism in the Practice of Medicine (1997)
- Medical Economics and Practice Committee, American Academy of Neurology (Member) (2019-2021)
- Neuromuscular & Clinical Neurophysiology Abstract Review (Topic Chair), American Academy of Neurology (2016-2020)
- Neurology Board of Directors Nominations Committee, American Academy of Neurology (2014)
- Periodic Paralysis Association (Medical Advisory Board) (2014)
- American Neurological Association (Fellow) (2013)
- Planning Committee (Co-Chair), Muscle Study Group Annual Meeting (2013-2014)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- Constitution Committee, Muscle Study Group (2010-2019)
- Special Interest Group/Symposia Committee, American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine (2009-2011)
- Muscle Study Group (2007)
- American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine (2005)
- American Academy of Neurology (Fellow) (1998)