Jaya Trivedi, M.D., is Professor & Medical Director of Ambulatory Neurology of the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She also serves as Program Director of the Neuromuscular Medicine fellowship. She specializes in neuromuscular disorders and is considered an expert in skeletal muscle channelopathies.
Dr. Trivedi earned her medical degree at Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College in India. She completed internal medicine residencies at Sheth K.M. School of P.G. Medicine & Research in India and at Overlook Hospital in New Jersey before joining UT Southwestern, where she completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in neuromuscular medicine.
She is certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and has subspecialty certification in Neuromuscular Medicine and Clinical Neurophysiology.
Her clinical interests include skeletal muscle channelopathies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, neuropathies, myopathies, and myasthenia gravis. She has been involved in several clinical trials and was site PI for some of the landmark trials in non-dystrophic myotonia and periodic paralysis. She serves as co-PI of the NIH-funded Wellstone Training Core grant, the goal of which is to recruit, train, and maintain the next generation of transformative investigators focused on addressing the challenges of muscular dystrophy.
She has authored and co-authored publications, reviews, and book chapters. Some of her notable publications include the natural history study in non-dystrophic myotonia and the role of denture cream in neurological disease. The denture cream study garnered significant national attention leading to an interview by NBC which was aired on “Good Morning America”.
She has mentored numerous residents and fellows at UT Southwestern Medical Center, many of whom have pursued academic careers. She has twice been honored with the prestigious Trephined Cranium Neurology Resident Teaching award. Besides teaching residents and fellows, she organizes and directs annual CME conferences such as the Brain Summit and Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular symposium for the local and national neurology community, respectively.
Dr. Trivedi also serves as a member of the Medical Economics and Practice Committee for the American Academy of Neurology and on the medical advisory board for the Periodic Paralysis Association. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Neurological Association.
- Medical School
- Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College, India (1992)
- Seth Kanaiyalal Motilal (1993), Internal Medicine
- Seth Kanaiyalal Motilal (1995), Internal Medicine
- Overlook Hospital (1997), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Neuromuscular Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Andersen-Tawil syndrome
- Inclusion Body Myositis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Non-dystrophic Myotonia
- Periodic Paralysis
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Clinical Review of Muscle-Specific Tyrosine Kinase-Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis.
- Wolfe G.I., Trivedi J.R., Oh S.J. Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease 2007 8 217-224
- Validation of serum neurofilaments as prognostic and potential pharmacodynamic biomarkers for ALS.
- Benatar M, Zhang L, Wang L, Granit V, Statland J, Barohn R, Swenson A, Ravits J, Jackson C, Burns TM, Trivedi J, Pioro EP, Caress J, Katz J, McCauley JL, Rademakers R, Malaspina A, Ostrow LW, Wuu J, Neurology 2020 May
- Guidelines on clinical presentation and management of non-dystrophic myotonias.
- Stunnenberg B, LoRusso S, Arnold WD, Barohn RJ, Cannon SC, Fontaine B, Griggs RC, Hanna MG, Matthews E, Meola G, Sansone VA, Trivedi JR, van Engelen B, Vicart S, Statland JM, Muscle Nerve 2020 Apr
- Eculizumab improves fatigue in refractory generalized myasthenia gravis.
- Andersen H, Mantegazza R, Wang JJ, O'Brien F, Patra K, Howard JF, Qual Life Res 2019 Mar
- Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and exploratory efficacy of the novel enzyme replacement therapy avalglucosidase alfa (neoGAA) in treatment-naïve and alglucosidase alfa-treated patients with late-onset Pompe disease: A phase 1, open-label, multicenter, multinational, ascending dose study.
- Pena LDM, Barohn RJ, Byrne BJ, Desnuelle C, Goker-Alpan O, Ladha S, Laforêt P, Mengel KE, Pestronk A, Pouget J, Schoser B, Straub V, Trivedi J, Van Damme P, Vissing J, Young P, Kacena K, Shafi R, Thurberg BL, Culm-Merdek K, van der Ploeg AT, Neuromuscul. Disord. 2019 03 29 3 167-186
- Excellent response to therapeutic plasma exchange in myasthenia gravis patients irrespective of antibody status.
- Usmani A, Kwan L, Wahib-Khalil D, Trivedi J, Nations S, Sarode R J Clin Apher 2019 Feb
- Long-term safety and efficacy of eculizumab in generalized myasthenia gravis.
- Muppidi S, Utsugisawa K, Benatar M, Murai H, Barohn RJ, Illa I, Jacob S, Vissing J, Burns TM, Kissel JT, Nowak RJ, Andersen H, Casasnovas C, De Bleecker JL, Vu TH, Mantegazza R, O'Brien FL, Wang JJ, Fujita KP, Howard JF Muscle Nerve 2019 Feb
- Effect of Mexiletine on Muscle Stiffness in Patients With Nondystrophic Myotonia Evaluated Using Aggregated N-of-1 Trials.
- Stunnenberg BC, Raaphorst J, Groenewoud HM, Statland JM, Griggs RC, Woertman W, Stegeman DF, Timmermans J, Trivedi J, Matthews E, Saris CGJ, Schouwenberg BJ, Drost G, van Engelen BGM, van der Wilt GJ, JAMA 2018 12 320 22 2344-2353
- Skeletal Muscle Channelopathies.
- Phillips L, Trivedi JR Neurotherapeutics 2018 Oct
- Review of the Diagnosis and Treatment of Periodic Paralysis.
- Statland JM, Fontaine B, Hanna MG, Johnson NE, Kissel JT, Sansone VA, Shieh PB, Tawil RN, Trivedi J, Cannon SC, Griggs RC, Muscle Nerve 2018 04 57 4 522-530
Honors & Awards
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
Department of Neurology (2007)
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
Department of Neurology (2003)
- Senior Resident of the Year
From Staff of Acute Stroke Unit/Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at PMH, Dallas, Tx (2000)
- Outstanding Resident
Achievement in Clinical Science&Humanism in the Practice of Medicine (1997)
- Medical Economics and Practice Committee, American Academy of Neurology (Member) (2019-2021)
- Neuromuscular & Clinical Neurophysiology Abstract Review (Topic Chair), American Academy of Neurology (2016-2020)
- Neurology Board of Directors Nominations Committee, American Academy of Neurology (2014)
- Periodic Paralysis Association (Medical Advisory Board) (2014)
- American Neurological Association (Fellow) (2013)
- Planning Committee (Co-Chair), Muscle Study Group Annual Meeting (2013-2014)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- Constitution Committee, Muscle Study Group (2010-2019)
- Special Interest Group/Symposia Committee, American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine (2009-2011)
- Muscle Study Group (2007)
- American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine (2005)
- American Academy of Neurology (Fellow) (1998)