Shawn McClintock, Ph.D.
Endowed Title Lydia Bryant Test Distinguished Professorship in Psychiatric Research
Graduate Programs Clinical Psychology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Shawn M. McClintock, Ph.D., M.S.C.S., is a Clinical Neuropsychologist and Professor, and he holds the Lydia Bryant Test Distinguished Professorship in Psychiatric Research in the Division of Psychology, Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Also, he is the Director of Research Training in the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program in the UT Southwestern Medical Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
Dr. McClintock received his B.A. in Psychology from the University of North Texas (1998) and his M.S. in Rehabilitation Counseling Psychology (2005) and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology (2006) from UT Southwestern Medical Center. He completed postdoctoral training in clinical neuropsychology and mood disorders research as a National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) T32 Postdoctoral Fellow at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and he completed postdoctoral training in brain stimulation and therapeutic modulation at Columbia University / New York State Psychiatric Institute. Subsequently, he was appointed a National Institutes of Health (NIH) KL2 Clinical Scholar and received his M.S. in Clinical Sciences (2011) from UT Southwestern Medical Center.
He is a globally recognized expert in the neurocognitive effects of major depressive disorder and antidepressant neuromodulation therapeutics. He has received grant funding from the NIH and the Brain and Behavior Foundation. He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of ECT and is an Associate Editor of Neuropsychology Review. Dr. McClintock has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles and 12 book chapters and co-edited the book Neuropsychology of Depression.
- Undergraduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2005), Clinical Psychology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Southwestern School of Allied Health Professions (2006)
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern School of Allied Health Professions (2006), Psychology
- Research Fellowship
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Clinical Psychology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011), Neuropsychiatry
- Antidepressant neuromodulation therapeutics
- Clinical neuropsychology
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Electroconvulsive therapy, electric field, neuroplasticity, and clinical outcomes.
- Deng ZD, Argyelan M, Miller J, Quinn DK, Lloyd M, Jones TR, Upston J, Erhardt E, McClintock SM, Abbott CC, Mol Psychiatry 2021 Dec
- Clinical Neuropsychological Evaluation in Older Adults With Major Depressive Disorder.
- McClintock SM, Minto L, Denney DA, Bailey KC, Cullum CM, Dotson VM, Curr Psychiatry Rep 2021 07 23 9 55
- Longitudinal Neurocognitive Effects of Combined Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) and Pharmacotherapy in Major Depressive Disorder in Older Adults: Phase 2 of the PRIDE Study.
- Lisanby SH, McClintock SM, McCall WV, Knapp RG, Cullum CM, Mueller M, Deng ZD, Teklehaimanot AA, Rudorfer MV, Bernhardt E, Alexopoulos G, Bailine SH, Briggs MC, Geduldig ET, Greenberg RM, Husain MM, Kaliora S, Latoussakis V, Liebman LS, Petrides G, Prudic J, Rosenquist PB, Sampson S, Tobias KG, Weiner RD, Young RC, Kellner CH, Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2021 May
- Depression and Cognitive Control across the Lifespan: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Dotson VM, McClintock SM, Verhaeghen P, Kim JU, Draheim AA, Syzmkowicz SM, Gradone AM, Bogoian HR, Wit L, Neuropsychol Rev 2020 May
- Consensus Recommendations for the Clinical Application of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in the Treatment of Depression.
- McClintock SM, Reti IM, Carpenter LL, McDonald WM, Dubin M, Taylor SF, Cook IA, O'Reardon J, Husain MM, Wall C, Krystal AD, Sampson SM, Morales O, Nelson BG, Latoussakis V, George MS, Lisanby SH J Clin Psychiatry 2017 May
- Residual Symptoms in Depressed Outpatients Who Respond By 50% Percent But Do Not Remit to Antidepressant Medication
- McClintock SM, Husain MM, Wisniewski SR, Nierenberg AA, Stewart JW, Trivedi MH, Cook I, Morris D, Warden D, Rush AJ Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2011 31(2) 180-186
- Association between depression severity and neurocognitive function in major depressive disorder: A review and synthesis
- McClintock SM, Husain MM, Greer TL, Cullum CM Neuropsychology 2010 24 (1) 9-34
- Differential effects of high dose Magnetic Seizure Therapy and electroconvulsive shock on cognitive function.
- Spellman TM, McClintock SM, Terrace H, Luber B, Husain MM, Lisanby SH Biological Psychiatry 2008 63 1163-1170
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for moderate-severity major depression among the elderly: Data from the pride study.
- Østergaard SD, Speed MS, Kellner CH, Mueller M, McClintock SM, Husain MM, Petrides G, McCall WV, Lisanby SH, J Affect Disord 2020 Sep 274 1134-1141
- Cognitive effects of transcranial direct current stimulation treatment in patients with major depressive disorder: An individual patient data meta-analysis of randomised, sham-controlled trials.
- Martin DM, Moffa A, Nikolin S, Bennabi D, Brunoni AR, Flannery W, Haffen E, McClintock SM, Moreno ML, Padberg F, Palm U, Loo CK Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2018 Apr 90 137-145
Neuropsychology of Depression
McClintock SM, Choi J (Ed.) (2022). New York, Guilford Press, Inc.
Geriatric Psychiatry: Electroconvulsive therapy and other neurostimulation techniques. In Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 10th Edition
Husain MM, McClintock SM, Croarkin PE (2017). New York, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Measurement-Based care in transcranial magnetic stimulation practice. In Clinical Guide to the Administration of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Neuropsychiatric Disorders
McClintock SM, Potter GG (2014). New York, Oxford University Press
Understanding, assessing and treating prospective memory dysfunctions in traumatic brain injury patients. In Traumatic Brain Injury
Mioni G, McClintock SM, Stablum F (2014). New York, InTech
Vagus nerve stimulation: Indications, efficacy and methods. In Electroconvulsive and Neuromodulation Therapies
McClintock SM, Trevino K, Husain MM (2009). New York, Cambridge University Press
Geriatric Psychiatry: Electroconvulsive therapy and other neurostimulation techniques. In Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th Edition
Husain MM, McClintock SM, Croarkin PE (2009). New York, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American Psychological Association
- Society for Clinical Neuropsychology Robert A. and Phyllis Levitt Early Career Award
- International Society for CNS Clinical Trials and Methodology New Investigator Award
- National Institute of Mental Health Advanced Research Institute in Geriatric Mental Health Fellow
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology Young Investigator Memorial Travel Award
- NIMH K23 Career Development Award
- International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology International Junior Investigator Award
- Brain and Behavior Foundation NARSAD Young Investigator Award
- NIH KL2 Clinical Scholar
- NIH/NCDEU New Investigator Award