Shawn C. Burgess obtained his PhD in Chemistry in 2000 from the University of Texas at Dallas for research on using carbon-13 tracers and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) to examine metabolic flux. From 2000-2003 he was a postdoctoral research scientist in the Department of Radiology at UT Southwestern where he studied substrate metabolism in β-cell and liver using tracer approaches.
In the Center for Human Nutrition, the Burgess Lab uses stable isotope tracers, NMR and mass spectrometry to study how metabolic flux is regulated by molecular physiology and altered by disease or pharmacology. His lab focuses on pathways of oxidative and biosynthetic metabolism in the context of obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes. They seek to understand how metabolic mechanisms contribute to pathologies of disease such as steatosis, oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (1997), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (2000), Chemistry
- Biological NMR and MS
- In Vivo and Ex Vivo isotope tracer techniques
- Intermediary metabolism of obesity and diabetes
- Metabolic mechanisms of disease
- Regulation of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in liver
- PEPCK-M expression in mouse liver potentiates, not replaces, PEPCK-C mediated gluconeogenesis.
- Méndez-Lucas A, Duarte JA, Sunny NE, Satapati S, He T, Fu X, Bermúdez J, Burgess SC, Perales JC J. Hepatol. 2013 Mar
- Colesevelam suppresses hepatic glycogenolysis by TGR5-mediated induction of GLP-1 action in DIO mice.
- Potthoff MJ, Potts A, He T, Duarte JA, Taussig R, Mangelsdorf DJ, Kliewer SA, Burgess SC Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2013 Feb 304 4 G371-80
- Elevated TCA cycle function in the pathology of diet-induced hepatic insulin resistance and fatty liver.
- Satapati S, Sunny NE, Kucejova B, Fu X, He TT, Méndez-Lucas A, Shelton JM, Perales JC, Browning JD, Burgess SC J. Lipid Res. 2012 Jun 53 6 1080-92
- The effect of short-term fasting on liver and skeletal muscle lipid, glucose, and energy metabolism in healthy women and men.
- Browning JD, Baxter J, Satapati S, Burgess SC J. Lipid Res. 2012 Mar 53 3 577-86
- Excessive hepatic mitochondrial TCA cycle and gluconeogenesis in humans with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Sunny NE, Parks EJ, Browning JD, Burgess SC Cell Metab. 2011 Dec 14 6 804-10
- Flux through hepatic pyruvate carboxylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase detected by hyperpolarized 13C magnetic resonance.
- Merritt ME, Harrison C, Sherry AD, Malloy CR, Burgess SC Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Nov 108 47 19084-9
- Short-term weight loss and hepatic triglyceride reduction: evidence of a metabolic advantage with dietary carbohydrate restriction.
- Browning JD, Baker JA, Rogers T, Davis J, Satapati S, Burgess SC Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2011 May 93 5 1048-52
- Progressive adaptation of hepatic ketogenesis in mice fed a high-fat diet.
- Sunny NE, Satapati S, Fu X, He T, Mehdibeigi R, Spring-Robinson C, Duarte J, Potthoff MJ, Browning JD, Burgess SC Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010 Jun 298 6 E1226-35
- FGF21 induces PGC-1alpha and regulates carbohydrate and fatty acid metabolism during the adaptive starvation response.
- Potthoff MJ, Inagaki T, Satapati S, Ding X, He T, Goetz R, Mohammadi M, Finck BN, Mangelsdorf DJ, Kliewer SA, Burgess SC Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2009 Jun 106 26 10853-8
- Alterations in hepatic glucose and energy metabolism as a result of calorie and carbohydrate restriction.
- Browning JD, Weis B, Davis J, Satapati S, Merritt M, Malloy CR, Burgess SC Hepatology 2008 Nov 48 5 1487-96
Honors & Awards
- Daryl K. Granner Lectureship
- Robert A. Welch Foundation Research Grant Award
- ADA Basic Science Award
- American Diabetes Junior Faculty Award
- American Diabetes Association (2003)
- American Chemical Society (1994)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine