Dr. Michael Dowling's clinical interests include stroke in children and the neurologic complications of sickle cell disease. Children's Medical Center Dallas includes a special Sickle Cell Neurology Clinic, a Pediatric Stroke Clinic and a Multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic.
- Graduate School
- Columbia University in the City of New York (1989)
- Graduate School
- Columbia University in the City of New York (1993)
- Medical School
- Columbia University (1995)
- Children's Health Dallas (1996), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Pediatric Neurology
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- Alternative etiologies for stroke in sickle cell disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Neurologic complications of sickle cell disease
- Neurologic injury in children with acute anemia
- Pediatric stroke
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- The family of genes encoding odorant receptors in the channel catfish.
- Ngai J, Dowling MM, Buck L, Axel R, Chess A Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 657-66
- Coding of olfactory information: topography of odorant receptor expression in the catfish olfactory epithelium.
- Ngai J, Chess A, Dowling MM, Necles N, Macagno ER, Axel R Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 667-80
- Molecular biology of smell: expression of the multigene family encoding putative odorant receptors.
- Chess A, Buck L, Dowling MM, Axel R, Ngai J Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 1992 57 505-16
- Socioeconomic determinants of outcome after childhood arterial ischemic stroke.
- Jordan LC, Hills NK, Fox CK, Ichord RN, Pergami P, deVeber GA, Fullerton HJ, Lo W, Neurology 2018 Aug 91 6 e509-e516
- Neurologic outcomes in pediatric cardiac arrest survivors enrolled in the THAPCA trials.
- Ichord R, Silverstein FS, Slomine BS, Telford R, Christensen J, Holubkov R, Dean JM, Moler FW, Neurology 2018 Jul 91 2 e123-e131
- Mortality After Pediatric Arterial Ischemic Stroke.
- Beslow LA, Dowling MM, Hassanein SMA, Lynch JK, Zafeiriou D, Sun LR, Kopyta I, Titomanlio L, Kolk A, Chan A, Biller J, Grabowski EF, Abdalla AA, Mackay MT, deVeber G Pediatrics 2018 Apr
- Dyslipidemia in Children With Arterial Ischemic Stroke: Prevalence and Risk Factors.
- Sultan S, Dowling M, Kirton A, DeVeber G, Linds A, Elkind MSV, Pediatr. Neurol. 2018 01 78 46-54
- Response by Rollins and Dowling to Letter Regarding Article, "Dynamic Arterial Compression in Pediatric Vertebral Arterial Dissection".
- Rollins N, Dowling M Stroke 2017 Aug 48 8 e228
- Dynamic Arterial Compression in Pediatric Vertebral Arterial Dissection.
- Rollins N, Braga B, Hogge A, Beavers S, Dowling M Stroke 2017 Apr 48 4 1070-1073
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 01 376 4 318-329
Cerebral Vasculopathies. In Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM, eds. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease. 5th ed.
Dowling MM. (2014). Elsevier; 1211-1219.
Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu). In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Dowling MM. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 159-165.
Autism. In Curatolo P, ed. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex: From Basic Science to Clinical Phenotypes. 1st ed.
Dowling M, Curatolo P. (2003). London: Mac Keith Press; 91-108.
Honors & Awards
- Pediatric Neurology Resident Teaching Award "Golden Boots"
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly Magazine (2017)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Award
- Trephined Cranium Award for Outstanding Teaching
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- 8th Annual Excellence in Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- Innovations in Clinical Research Award
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (2009)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2002, 2007, 2010-2015, 2017-2018)
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (2007)
- Child Neurology Society (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology (2001)