Prashant Mishra received his undergraduate degree in biochemical sciences from Harvard University. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, where he studied the role of scaffolding in signaling pathways with Dr. Rama Ranganathan. As a fellow of the Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund, he conducted postdoctoral work on regulation of mitochondrial behavior in the laboratory of Dr. David Chan at the California Institute of Technology.
In 2015, he joined the faculty of Children's Medical Center Research Institute at UT Southwestern.
Research in the Mishra lab is focused on mapping how the mitochondria are embedded into normal cellular function. This research will help identify new insights into mitochondrial diseases and allow the Mishra lab to develop clinical tools and therapeutic options.
- Harvard University (1999), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2007), Biophysics
- Medical School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2009), Medicine
- Mitochondrial diseases
- Organelle behavior and function
- Interfaces between mitochondrial dynamics and disease.
- Mishra P Cell Calcium 2016 May
- Metabolic regulation of mitochondrial dynamics.
- Mishra P, Chan DC J. Cell Biol. 2016 Feb 212 4 379-87
- Mitochondrial Dynamics Is a Distinguishing Feature of Skeletal Muscle Fiber Types and Regulates Organellar Compartmentalization.
- Mishra P, Varuzhanyan G, Pham AH, Chan DC Cell Metab. 2015 Oct
- Proteolytic cleavage of Opa1 stimulates mitochondrial inner membrane fusion and couples fusion to oxidative phosphorylation.
- Mishra P, Carelli V, Manfredi G, Chan DC Cell Metab. 2014 Apr 19 4 630-41
- Autosomal recessive progeroid syndrome due to homozygosity for a TOMM7 variant.
- Garg A, Keng WT, Chen Z, Sathe AA, Xing C, Kailasam PD, Shao Y, Lesner NP, Llamas CB, Agarwal AK, Mishra P, J Clin Invest 2022 Oct
- Differential requirements for mitochondrial electron transport chain components in the adult murine liver.
- Lesner NP, Wang X, Chen Z, Frank A, Menezes C, House S, Shelton SD, Lemoff A, McFadden DG, Wanaspura J, DeBerardinis RJ, Mishra P, Elife 2022 Sep 11
- A Mitofusin 2 - Hif1a axis sets a maturation checkpoint in regenerating skeletal muscle.
- Wang X, Jia Y, Zhao J, Lesner NP, Menezes CJ, Shelton SD, Venigalla SSK, Xu J, Cai C, Mishra P, J Clin Invest 2022 Sep
- Scinderin promotes fusion of electron transport chain dysfunctional muscle stem cells with myofibers.
- Wang X, Shelton SD, Bordieanu B, Frank AR, Yi Y, Venigalla SSK, Gu Z, Lenser NP, Glogauer M, Chandel NS, Zhao H, Zhao Z, McFadden DG, Mishra P, Nat Aging 2022 2 2 155-169
- a-ketobutyrate links alterations in cystine metabolism to glucose oxidation in mtDNA mutant cells.
- Lesner NP, Gokhale A, Kota K, DeBerardinis RJ, Mishra P, Metab. Eng. 2020 Apr
- Mitochondrial dynamics and inheritance during cell division, development and disease.
- Mishra P, Chan DC Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2014 Oct 15 10 634-46