Prashant Mishra received his undergraduate degree in biochemical sciences from Harvard University. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, where he studied the role of scaffolding in signaling pathways with Dr. Rama Ranganathan. As a fellow of the Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund, he conducted postdoctoral work on regulation of mitochondrial behavior in the laboratory of Dr. David Chan at the California Institute of Technology.
In 2015, he joined the faculty of Children's Medical Center Research Institute at UT Southwestern.
Research in the Mishra lab is focused on mapping how the mitochondria are embedded into normal cellular function. This research will help identify new insights into mitochondrial diseases and allow the Mishra lab to develop clinical tools and therapeutic options.
- Harvard University (1999), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2007), Biophysics
- Medical School
- Univ of Tx Southwestern Med Ct (2009), Medicine
- Mitochondrial diseases
- Organelle behavior and function
- Interfaces between mitochondrial dynamics and disease.
- Mishra P Cell Calcium 2016 May
- Metabolic regulation of mitochondrial dynamics.
- Mishra P, Chan DC J. Cell Biol. 2016 Feb 212 4 379-87
- Mitochondrial Dynamics Is a Distinguishing Feature of Skeletal Muscle Fiber Types and Regulates Organellar Compartmentalization.
- Mishra P, Varuzhanyan G, Pham AH, Chan DC Cell Metab. 2015 Oct
- Proteolytic cleavage of Opa1 stimulates mitochondrial inner membrane fusion and couples fusion to oxidative phosphorylation.
- Mishra P, Carelli V, Manfredi G, Chan DC Cell Metab. 2014 Apr 19 4 630-41
- Mitochondrial dynamics and inheritance during cell division, development and disease.
- Mishra P, Chan DC Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2014 Oct 15 10 634-46
- Controlled sumoylation of the mevalonate pathway enzyme HMGS-1 regulates metabolism during aging.
- Sapir A, Tsur A, Koorman T, Ching K, Mishra P, Bardenheier A, Podolsky L, Bening-Abu-Shach U, Boxem M, Chou TF, Broday L, Sternberg PW Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Sep 111 37 E3880-9
- Dynamic scaffolding in a G protein-coupled signaling system.
- Mishra P, Socolich M, Wall MA, Graves J, Wang Z, Ranganathan R Cell 2007 Oct 131 1 80-92
- Natural-like function in artificial WW domains.
- Russ WP, Lowery DM, Mishra P, Yaffe MB, Ranganathan R Nature 2005 Sep 437 7058 579-83