Dr. Nirupama “Rupa” DeSilva is a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Division of Gynecology at UT Southwestern. A specialist in pediatric-adolescent gynecology, her clinical practice is at Children’s Health.SM
Dr. DeSilva graduated from Albany Medical College in Albany, New York, and did her OB/GYN residency at Parkland Memorial Hospital/UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas. Following her residency, she completed a fellowship in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology at Texas Children's Hospital/Baylor University in Houston, Texas. Then, after many years of working at the University of Oklahoma, and running an active pediatric and adolescent gynecology practice in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dr. DeSilva moved back to Dallas in 2019 to join the Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Faculty in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern.
Board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. DeSilva is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, a member of the North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists, American Medical Association, and the American Association of Physicians from India. She has received recognition from “America’s Top Obstetricians and Gynecologists” for the last five years.
Throughout her career, Dr. DeSilva has been active in education within the pediatric and adolescent gynecology community. With the help of multiple grants, she created the website http://www.girlsmarts.org/ to help teenage girls decrease risk-taking behaviors through awareness and knowledge. In addition, she educates guardians — guiding them on ways to speak with their teens about their own family values/expected behaviors, while also promoting awareness of various birth control options for those who are in need of them.
Dr. DeSilva is one of the original authors, and now the editor of pagwebed.org. Part of the North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology's educational armamentarium, the site’s focus is to educate resident physicians within Pediatrics and OB/GYN on the intricacies of pediatric and adolescent gynecology.
- Medical School
- Albany Medical College (1999)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Baylor College of Medicine (2006), Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology
- Pediatric and adolescent education
- Breast development and disorders in the adolescent female.
- De Silva NK, Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2018 Apr 48 40-50
- Breast disorders in the female adolescent.
- De Silva NK, Adolesc Med State Art Rev 2012 Apr 23 1 34-52, x
- Plastic surgery and the adolescent breast: preliminary patient counseling.
- DeSilva NK, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010 Jun 23 3 184-6
- Pediatric and adolescent gynecology learned via a Web-based computerized case series.
- De Silva NK, Dietrich JE, Young AE, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010 Apr 23 2 111-5
- Reliability study for pediatric and adolescent gynecology case-based learning in resident education.
- Dietrich JE, De Silva NK, Young AE, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010 Apr 23 2 102-6
- Sexual activity and teenage females taking hormonal therapy for medical indications.
- Elliott MM, DeSilva NK, Middleman AB, J Adolesc Health 2007 Dec 41 6 616-9
- Obesity in the adolescent female.
- De Silva NK, Helmrath MA, Klish WJ, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2007 Jun 20 3 207-13
- Disorders of the breast in children and adolescents, Part 2: breast masses.
- De Silva NK, Brandt ML, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2006 Dec 19 6 415-8
- Disorders of the breast in children and adolescents, Part 1: Disorders of growth and infections of the breast.
- De Silva NK, Brandt ML, J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2006 Oct 19 5 345-9
- Effect of vitamin E supplementation with and without hormone therapy on circulatory inflammatory markers in postmenopausal women.
- Carr BR, Khan N, Adams-Huet B, Kakarla N, Havelock JC, Gell J Fertil. Steril. 2006 Mar 85 3 667-73
Breast Disorders in Children and Adolescents. In Clinical Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology; Sanfillippo J (ed)
DeSilva NK, Henning MSY (2019). New York, Informa Healthcare
Hormonal causes of delayed puberty. In Female Puberty; Dietrich J (ed)
DeSilva NK (2014). Springer Science
Pediatric Breast Concerns. In Nelsons Pediatrics; Kleigman R (ed)
DeSilva NK (2011). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) (2006)
- American Medical Association (AMA) (2006)
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) (2006)
- American Association of Physicians from India (AAPI) (2003)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) (2003)
- North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) (2003)