Suzanne Cole, MD FACP, is a Medical Oncologist and Hematologist at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She serves as the Medical Director of the University Hospital Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at the UT Southwestern Medical Center Richardson Plano. She is passionate about increasing access to clinical trials in local communities, which allow patients to participate in cancer research close to home.
Dr. Cole earned undergraduate degrees in Modern Dance and Biology at the University of Texas at Dallas. She then went on to complete medical school and Internal Medicine residency at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. She pursued advanced training by completing a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Dr. Cole spent 8 years in community practice, serving patients in rural West Virginia and Oklahoma, where she was deeply involved in cancer research through the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program. In 2018, Dr. Cole received the NCORP Silver Physician Award for outstanding clinical trial accrual.
Dr. Cole returned to Dallas in 2018, as the Medical Director of the University Hospital Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at the UT Southwestern Medical Center Richardson Plano. She has been successful in developing and launching a clinical trial program serving the community of North Texas.
Dr. Cole is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. She is board certified in Hematology and Medical Oncology. She is active in a number of professional organizations, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology, where she is Chair of the Practice Guidelines Implementation Network, Chair for the ASCO Annual Meeting Education Committee in Care Delivery, member of the ASCO Communications Committee, and ASCO Mentor to early career physicians. She is the Chair for the SWOG Community Engagement Core, and the Community Oncology Chair for ECOG-ACRIN EA8143 PROSPER clinical trial in Renal Cell Carcinoma. Dr. Cole is also the founder of the Hematology & Oncology Women Physician Group.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2003)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2006), Internal Medicine
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center (2010), Hematology Oncology
- Conduct of Clinical Trials in Community Oncology Setting
- Genitourinary Cancer: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Prostate Cancer
- Integration of Early Palliative Care into Standard Oncology Practice
- The future of perioperative therapy in advanced renal cell carcinoma: how can we PROSPER?
- Patel HD, Puligandla M, Shuch BM, Leibovich BC, Kapoor A, Master VA, Drake CG, Heng DY, Lara PN, Choueiri TK, Maskens D, Singer EA, Eggener SE, Svatek RS, Stadler WM, Cole S, Signoretti S, Gupta RT, Michaelson MD, McDermott DF, Cella D, Wagner LI, Haas NB, Carducci MA, Harshman LC, Allaf ME, Future Oncol 2019 May 15 15 1683-1695
- Managing Immuno-Oncology Toxicity: Top 10 Innovative Institutional Solutions.
- Cole S, Zibelman M, Bertino E, Yucebay F, Reynolds K, Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2019 Jan 39 96-104
- Impact of Closed Facebook Group Participation on Female Hematology/Oncology Physicians.
- Graff SL, Close J, Cole S, Matt-Amaral L, Beg R, Markham MJ, J Oncol Pract 2018 12 14 12 e758-e769
- Reduced-intensity allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for relapsed multiple myeloma.
- Efebera YA, Qureshi SR, Cole SM, Saliba R, Pelosini M, Patel RM, Koca E, Mendoza FL, Wang M, Shah J, Alousi A, Hosing C, Popat U, Kebriaei P, Anderlini P, Khouri IF, Champlin R, Giralt S, Qazilbash MH Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010 Aug 16 8 1122-9
- Successful completion of pregnancy in a patient with chronic myeloid leukemia without active intervention: a case report and review of the literature.
- Cole S, Kantarjian H, Ault P, Cortés JE, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 2009 Aug 9 4 324-7
- An integrated (2)H and (13)C NMR study of gluconeogenesis and TCA cycle flux in humans.
- Jones JG, Solomon MA, Cole SM, Sherry AD, Malloy CR Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2001 Oct 281 4 E848-56
Honors & Awards
- Silver Physician Award for Outstanding Clinical Trial Accrual
National Cancer Institute Commnity Oncology Research Program (2018)
- Congressional Commendation for Medical Relief to Alexandria, LA during Hurricane Harvey
Congressman Ralph Abraham, Louisiana 5th Congressional District, U.S. House of Representatives (2017)
- J. W. Norwood Distinguished Alumni Award
Burleson High Shcool Alumni Association (2017)
- Top Doctor, Medical Oncology
Oklahoma Magazine (2017-2018)
- Outstanding Clinical Medicine Resident Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2004-2005)
- ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group (2018)
- SWOG Cancer Research Group (2017)
- American College of Physicians (2015)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2007)
- American Society of Hematology (2007)
- American College of Physicians (2006-2014)