Mazen Elkurd, DO is an instructor of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Elkurd is a Dallas native who graduated from the University of Texas at Arlington, then went on to complete medical school at A.T. Still University in Mesa, Arizona. He completed neurology residency training at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C. where he served in his final year as academic chief resident. Following residency, Dr. Elkurd returned to Dallas to complete a clinical fellowship in movement disorders at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He is now a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a practicing movement disorder neurologist, caring for patients with various movement disorders including Parkinsonism, tremor, ataxia, myclonus, dystonia, chorea, functional neurological disorders and gait disorders.
He has been author of several scientific publications in the field of movement disorders and has reserach interests in the fields of Parkinson disease and ataxia, with ongoing projects in these areas. Dr. Elkurd is also active in teaching of residents and medical students, giving lectures to rotating medical students and supervising residents in the delivery of care to patients at the Ron J Anderson Ambulatory Clinic at Parkland.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center 2019, Movement Disorders
- Medical School
- A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (2015)
- MedStar Health/Union Memorial Hospital (2016), Internal Medicine
- Georgetown University Hospital (2019), Neurology
- Ataxia - New and Emerging Therapies
- Parkinson Disease - Progression and Biomarker Elucidation
- Parkinson Disease- New and Emerging Therapies and Disease Modification
- Cognitive Impairment and Dementia in Parkinson's Disease
- Mazen T. Elkurd, DO; Richard B. Dewey Jr, MD Psychiatr Ann. 2020 3 50 100-106
- Keeping up with the clinical advances: tardive dyskinesia.
- Elkurd MT, Bahroo L, CNS Spectr 2019 Aug 24 S1 70-81
- The role of extended-release amantadine for the treatment of dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease patients.
- Elkurd MT, Bahroo LB, Pahwa R, Neurodegener Dis Manag 2018 04 8 2 73-80
- Hyperkinetic Movement Disorders
- Laxman Bahroo, Mazen Elkurd and Fernando Pagan Practical Neurology 2018
- Anti-Alpha-Synuclein Therapies in Parkinson's Disease
- Laxman B. Bahroo, DO; Mazen T. Elkurd, DO; Charbel E.-H. Moussa, MD, PhD; Fernando L. Pagan, MD; and Yasar Torres-Yaghi, MD Practical Neurology 2018
Patient Selection Criteria for Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson's Disease. In Deep Brain Stimulation: A Case Based Approach.
Surillo, L., Dewey, R., O'Suilleabhain, O., Dadhich, H., Elkurd, M. & Chitnis, S. (2020). New York, NY, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- Annual Meeting Scholarship
American Academy of Neurology (2019)
- Young Investigator Award
- Sigma Sigma Phi Osteopathic Honor Society (elected)
A.T. Still University (2014)
- Magna Cum Laude
University of Texas at Arlington (2010)
- International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society (2019)
- American Academy of Neurology (2016)