Dr. Rakheja did his medical schooling at All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. He completed pathology residencies at Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University) and UT Southwestern Medical Center. He trained in gastrointestinal pathology and neuropathology as a senior resident (fellow equivalent) at GB Pant Hospital (Delhi University) and completed a pediatric pathology fellowship at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Rakheja studies the genetics and metabolism of childhood cancer. He has specific interests in tumor tissue banking, establishing primary pediatric cancer cell lines, and developing laboratory assays for diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic targets in pediatric cancers.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1993)
- Maulana Azad Hospitals (1997), Pathology
- G. B. Pant Hospital (1999), Pathology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Pathology
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatric Pathology
- Cancer metabolism
- Pediatric brain cancers
- Pediatric gentourinary cancers
- Pediatric liver cancers
- Pediatric sarcomas
- Oncometabolites: A New Paradigm for Oncology, Metabolism, and the Clinical Laboratory.
- Collins RRJ, Patel K, Putnam WC, Kapur P, Rakheja D Clin. Chem. 2017 Oct
- EGFR Exon 20 Insertion/Duplication Mutations Characterize Fibrous Hamartoma of Infancy.
- Park JY, Cohen C, Lopez D, Ramos E, Wagenfuehr J, Rakheja D Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2016 Sep
- Somatic mutations in DROSHA and DICER1 impair microRNA biogenesis through distinct mechanisms in Wilms tumours.
- Rakheja D, Chen KS, Liu Y, Shukla AA, Schmid V, Chang TC, Khokhar S, Wickiser JE, Karandikar NJ, Malter JS, Mendell JT, Amatruda JF Nat Commun 2014 2 4802
- CLN3P, the Batten's disease protein, is a novel palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturase.
- Narayan SB, Rakheja D, Tan L, Pastor JV, Bennett MJ Ann. Neurol. 2006 Nov 60 5 570-7
- Evidence for fatty acid oxidation in human placenta, and the relationship of fatty acid oxidation enzyme activities with gestational age.
- Rakheja D, Bennett MJ, Foster BM, Domiati-Saad R, Rogers BB Placenta 2002 May 23 5 447-50
- Pitfalls in the diagnosis of yolk sac tumor: Lessons from a clinical trial.
- Yang A, Patterson A, Pavlock T, Chen KS, Gagan J, Hatley ME, Frazier AL, Amatruda JF, Laetsch TW, Rakheja D, Pediatr Blood Cancer 2022 Feb 69 2 e29451
- MYC, mitochondrial metabolism and O-GlcNAcylation converge to modulate the activity and subcellular localization of DNA and RNA demethylases.
- Lin AP, Qiu Z, Ethiraj P, Sasi B, Jaafar C, Rakheja D, Aguiar RCT, Leukemia 2022 Jan
- Acute myeloid leukemia with RAM immunophenotype presenting with extensive mesenteric and retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy: A case report and review of the literature.
- Wick N, Hitto I, Welder D, Slone T, Koduru P, Fuda F, Rakheja D, Weinberg O, Leuk Res Rep 2022 17 100287
- SARS-CoV-2 Immunohistochemistry In Placenta.
- Rakheja D, Treat K, Timmons CF, Carrillo D, Miller SE, Stroberg E, Barton LM, Duval EJ, Mukhopadhyay S, Int J Surg Pathol 2021 Dec 10668969211067754
- Cytoplasmic P53 Immunostaining With N-Terminus P53 Antibody And Absence Of Staining With C-Terminus P53 Antibody: A Report Of Two Pediatric Sarcomas With Distal Truncating TP53 Mutations Affecting Nuclear Localization Domain.
- Mirbaha H, Carrillo D, Mitui M, Hiemenz MC, Singh V, Rakheja D, Int J Surg Pathol 2021 Dec 10668969211065115
Neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinoses. In Metabolic Diseases: Foundations of Clinical Management, Genetics, and Pathology. 2nd edition
Rakheja D, Bennett MJ (2017). Amsterdam, Netherlands, IOS Press BV
Measurement of oncometabolites D-2-hydroxyglutaric acid and L-2-hydroxyglutaric acid. In Springer Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology vol 1633. Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Methods and Protocols
Jones PM, Boriack R, Struys EA, Rakheja D (2017). New York, NY, Humana Press, Springer Nature
A Quick Guide to Metabolic Disease Testing Interpretation: Testing for Inborn Errors of Metabolism
Jones P, Patel K, Rakheja D (Ed.) (2020). San Diego, CA, Academic Press, Elsevier
Cholesterol biosynthetic disorders: a review. In Focus on Cholesterol Research
Rakheja D, Rogers BB, Bennett MJ (2006). Hauppauge, NY, Nova Publications
The "fussy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Jones PM, Rakheja D (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Jones PM, Rakheja D (Ed.) (2011). Washington, DC, American Association for Clinical Chemistry Press
The "sleepy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Rakheja D, Jones PM (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Glomerular diseases associated with nephritic syndrome and/or rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Rogers T, Rakheja D, Zhou XJ (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
The aging kidney. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Zhou XJ, Rakheja D, Silva FG (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
Pathology of germ cell tumors. In Pediatric Germ Cell Tumors
Rakheja D, Teot L (2014). New York, NY, Springer
Basic histopathologic assessment of germ cell tumors for clinic and research. In Springer Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology vol 2195. Testicular Germ Cell Tumors. Methods and Protocols
Kapur P, Rakheja D (2021). New York, NY, Humana Press, Springer Nature
Honors & Awards
- John Lawrence and Patsy Louise Goforth Distinguished Professorship in Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology Visiting Scholar, Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School
- College of American Pathologists Foundation (CAPF) Scholar
- Harry B. Neustein Memorial Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology
- Travel Award for junior investigators, Society for Inherited Metabolic Disorders
- F. Stephen Vogel Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Dr. R. P. Mathur Memorial Award in Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University)