Dr. Rakheja did his medical schooling at All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. He completed pathology residencies at Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University) and UT Southwestern Medical Center. He trained in gastrointestinal pathology and neuropathology as a senior resident (fellow equivalent) at GB Pant Hospital (Delhi University) and completed a pediatric pathology fellowship at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Rakheja studies the genetics and metabolism of childhood cancer, particularly Wilms tumor, germ cell tumors, hepatoblastoma, brain tumors, and pediatric sarcomas of bone and soft tissue. He has specific interests in tumor tissue banking, establishing primary pediatric cancer cell lines, and developing laboratory assays for diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic targets in pediatric cancers.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1993)
- Maulana Azad Hospitals (1997), Pathology
- G. B. Pant Hospital (1999), Pathology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2003), Pathology
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatric Pathology
- Cancer metabolism
- Pediatric brain cancers
- Pediatric gentourinary cancers
- Pediatric liver cancers
- Pediatric sarcomas
- Measurement of Oncometabolites D-2-Hydroxyglutaric Acid and L-2-Hydroxyglutaric Acid.
- Jones PM, Boriack R, Struys EA, Rakheja D Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1633 219-234
- EGFR Exon 20 Insertion/Duplication Mutations Characterize Fibrous Hamartoma of Infancy.
- Park JY, Cohen C, Lopez D, Ramos E, Wagenfuehr J, Rakheja D Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2016 Sep
- Somatic mutations in DROSHA and DICER1 impair microRNA biogenesis through distinct mechanisms in Wilms tumours.
- Rakheja D, Chen KS, Liu Y, Shukla AA, Schmid V, Chang TC, Khokhar S, Wickiser JE, Karandikar NJ, Malter JS, Mendell JT, Amatruda JF Nat Commun 2014 2 4802
- CLN3P, the Batten's disease protein, is a novel palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturase.
- Narayan SB, Rakheja D, Tan L, Pastor JV, Bennett MJ Ann. Neurol. 2006 Nov 60 5 570-7
- Evidence for fatty acid oxidation in human placenta, and the relationship of fatty acid oxidation enzyme activities with gestational age.
- Rakheja D, Bennett MJ, Foster BM, Domiati-Saad R, Rogers BB Placenta 2002 May 23 5 447-50
- Targeted MAPK Pathway Inhibitors in Patients With Disseminated Pilocytic Astrocytomas.
- Drobysheva A, Klesse LJ, Bowers DC, Rajaram V, Rakheja D, Timmons CF, Wang J, Koral K, Gargan L, Ramos E, Park JY J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 Aug 15 8 978-982
- A Matter of Mushroom.
- Ellington N, Wang J, Rakheja D Int. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Aug 1066896917728796
- Reverse histologic remodeling after mechanical unloading of failing hearts in children with dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Kasten J, Rakheja D, Zhang S, Thankavel P, Das BB J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Jun
- Omental Arteriopathy in Primary Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome.
- Ellington N, Wolf MT, Kasten J, Rakheja D Int. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Mar 1066896917699703
- EGFR Exon 20 Insertion/Duplication Mutation in Fibrous Hamartoma of Infancy With Predominantly Pseudoangiomatous Pattern Mimicking Giant Cell Fibroblastoma.
- Ellington N, Park JY, King K, Josephs S, Rakheja D Int. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Mar 1066896917698569
Neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinoses. In Metabolic Diseases: Foundations of Clinical Management, Genetics, and Pathology. 2nd edition
Rakheja D, Bennett MJ (2017). Amsterdam, Netherlands, IOS Press BV
Measurement of oncometabolites D-2-hydroxyglutaric acid and L-2-hydroxyglutaric acid. In Springer Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology vol 1633. Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Methods and Protocols
Jones PM, Boriack R, Struys EA, Rakheja D (2017). New York, NY, Humana Press, Springer Nature
Cholesterol biosynthetic disorders: a review. In Focus on Cholesterol Research
Rakheja D, Rogers BB, Bennett MJ (2006). Hauppauge, NY, Nova Publications
The "fussy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Jones PM, Rakheja D (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Jones PM, Rakheja D (Ed.) (2011). Washington, DC, American Association for Clinical Chemistry Press
The "sleepy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Rakheja D, Jones PM (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Glomerular diseases associated with nephritic syndrome and/or rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Rogers T, Rakheja D, Zhou XJ (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
The aging kidney. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Zhou XJ, Rakheja D, Silva FG (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
Pathology of germ cell tumors. In Pediatric Germ Cell Tumors
Rakheja D, Teot L (2014). New York, NY, Springer
Honors & Awards
- John Lawrence and Patsy Louise Goforth Distinguished Professorship in Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology Visiting Scholar, Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School
- College of American Pathologists Foundation (CAPF) Scholar
- Harry B. Neustein Memorial Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology
- Travel Award for junior investigators, Society for Inherited Metabolic Disorders
- F. Stephen Vogel Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Dr. R. P. Mathur Memorial Award in Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University)