Mamta Jain, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine. She is currently the Director of the ID Research Unit at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Originally from Gwalior, India, Dr. Jain earned her medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. She also holds a master's in public health in epidemiology and statistics from the University of Texas Houston School of Public Health Dallas campus. She completed internal medicine residency training at Baylor Affiliated Hospitals in Houston, followed by a fellowship in infectious diseases and a research fellowship in hepatology research at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2002.
Dr. Jain is the Chair of the Research Committee for the Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine.
Dr. Jain's research interests include COVID-19, HIV, and HCV. Her research is also aimed at improving clinical outcomes for patients with HIV and viral hepatitis, and she has received significant grant support for her work. She has delivered scores of international, national, and regional invited lectures, contributed to the book HIV and Liver Disease, and published several academic articles.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Jain was at the forefront of conducting clinical trials to find effective therapies for the disease. Her investigations brought access to novel therapies for more than 100 COVID-19 patients at UT Southwestern and Parkland Memorial Hospital.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1996)
- Baylor College of Medicine (1999), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002), Infectious Diseases
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas (2004)
- Graduate School
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas (2004), Public Health
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- HIV and complications
- HIV and Liver Disease
- Viral Eradication
- Changes in mortality related to human immunodeficiency virus infection: comparative analysis of inpatient deaths in 1995 and in 1999-2000.
- Jain MK, Skiest DJ, Cloud JW, Jain CL, Burns D, Berggren RE Clin. Infect. Dis. 2003 Apr 36 8 1030-8
- A Prospective Study Evaluating Changes in Histology, Clinical and Virologic Outcomes in HBV-HIV Co-infected Adults in North America.
- Sterling RK, King WC, Khalili M, Chung RT, Sulkowski M, Jain MK, Lisker-Melman M, Ghany MG, Wong DK, Hinerman AS, Bhan AK, Wahed AS, Kleiner DE, Hepatology 2021 Mar
- Low Rates of Hepatitis B Virus Treatment Among Treatment-Eligible Patients in Safety-Net Health Systems.
- Wong RJ, Jain MK, Therapondos G, Niu B, Kshirsagar O, Thamer M, J Clin Gastroenterol 2021 Mar
- Antiviral Therapy Reduces Risk of Cirrhosis in Noncirrhotic HBV Patients Among 4 Urban Safety-Net Health Systems.
- Wong RJ, Jain MK, Therapondos G, Niu B, Kshirsagar O, Thamer M, Am J Gastroenterol 2021 Mar
- Self-efficacy as a mediator of patient navigation interventions to engage persons living with HIV and substance use.
- Traynor SM, Metsch LR, Gooden L, Stitzer M, Matheson T, Tross S, Carrico AW, Jain MK, Del Rio C, Feaster DJ, Drug Alcohol Depend 2021 Feb 221 108567
- A Neutralizing Monoclonal Antibody for Hospitalized Patients with Covid-19.
- Lundgren JD, Grund B, Barkauskas CE, Holland TL, Gottlieb RL, Sandkovsky U, Brown SM, Knowlton KU, Self WH, Files DC, Jain MK, Benfield T, Bowdish ME, Leshnower BG, Baker JV, Jensen JU, Gardner EM, Ginde AA, Harris ES, Johansen IS, Markowitz N, Matthay MA, Østergaard L, Chang CC, Davey VJ, Goodman A, Higgs ES, Murray DD, Murray TA, Paredes R, Parmar MKB, Phillips AN, Reilly C, Sharma S, Dewar RL, Teitelbaum M, Wentworth D, Cao H, Klekotka P, Babiker AG, Gelijns AC, Kan VL, Polizzotto MN, Thompson BT, Lane HC, Neaton JD, N Engl J Med 2020 Dec
- Baricitinib plus Remdesivir for Hospitalized Adults with Covid-19.
- Kalil AC, Patterson TF, Mehta AK, Tomashek KM, Wolfe CR, Ghazaryan V, Marconi VC, Ruiz-Palacios GM, Hsieh L, Kline S, Tapson V, Iovine NM, Jain MK, Sweeney DA, El Sahly HM, Branche AR, Regalado Pineda J, Lye DC, Sandkovsky U, Luetkemeyer AF, Cohen SH, Finberg RW, Jackson PEH, Taiwo B, Paules CI, Arguinchona H, Goepfert P, Ahuja N, Frank M, Oh MD, Kim ES, Tan SY, Mularski RA, Nielsen H, Ponce PO, Taylor BS, Larson L, Rouphael NG, Saklawi Y, Cantos VD, Ko ER, Engemann JJ, Amin AN, Watanabe M, Billings J, Elie MC, Davey RT, Burgess TH, Ferreira J, Green M, Makowski M, Cardoso A, de Bono S, Bonnett T, Proschan M, Deye GA, Dempsey W, Nayak SU, Dodd LE, Beigel JH, N Engl J Med 2020 Dec
- Primary Care Guidance for Persons With Human Immunodeficiency Virus: 2020 Update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
- Thompson MA, Horberg MA, Agwu AL, Colasanti JA, Jain MK, Short WR, Singh T, Aberg JA, Clin Infect Dis 2020 Nov
- The risk of depression among racially diverse people living with HIV: the impact of HIV viral suppression.
- Jain MK, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Tiruneh YM, Luque AE, Duarte P, Trombello JM, Nijhawan AE, AIDS Care 2020 Sep 1-9
- Fatty Liver Disease in a Prospective North American Cohort of Adults with HIV and Hepatitis B Coinfection.
- Khalili M, King WC, Kleiner DE, Jain MK, Chung RT, Sulkowski M, Lisker-Melman M, Wong DK, Ghany M, Sanyal A, Sterling RK, Clin. Infect. Dis. 2020 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of Infectious Disease Society of America
- Best Doctors in Dallas "D Magazine"
- K23 NIH Grant
- Student Research Grant
- Training Award
Patient Oriented Research (2001)
- Travel Grant Award
Outstanding Abstract Submission, IDSA (2001)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (2003)
- Infectious Disease Society of America (2002)
- Infectious Disease Society of America, Fellow (2015)
- Texas Infectious Disease Society (2018)