Dr. De Simone serves as the director of the coagulation laboratory and of the therapeutic apheresis service at UT Southwestern. The UTSW apheresis clinic is one of the largest in the country, and its nurses and physicians are actively involved in advancing the field’s practices. The coagulation laboratory at UTSW serves as a reference lab to the community and actively assists clinicians in the diagnosis and management of bleeding and clotting disorders.
Originally from Dallas, Dr. De Simone completed undergraduate studies at Southern Methodist University, where she pursued her interests in French literature and biology. She then received dual degrees in medicine and public health at Tulane University’s Schools of Medicine and of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. She subsequently underwent two years of obstetrics and gynecology residency before deciding to pursue a career in pathology. Dr. De Simone completed anatomic and clinical pathology training followed by a fellowship in Transfusion Medicine at UT Southwestern. Since joining the faculty, Dr. De Simone has been an active contributor to clinical research and national societies.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center 2013, Transfusion Medicine Pathology
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2005)
- Undergraduate School
- Tulane School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine (2005)
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2007), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Pathology
- Diagnosis of Platelet Dysfunction
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Therapeutic Plasma Exchange in the Management of Neurological Disorders
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Venous Access Options for Therapeutic Apheresis
- Viscoelastic Testing
- Blind and Confused.
- Sharma VD, Malafronte P, De Simone N, Greenberg BM JAMA Neurol 2013 May 1-5
- Diagnosis and management of common acquired bleeding disorders.
- De Simone N, Sarode R Semin. Thromb. Hemost. 2013 Mar 39 2 172-81
Therapeutic Apheresis: A Physician's Handbook. 5th Edition
Kendall Crookston Meghan Delaney, DO, MPH Nicole De Simone, MD, MPH Haewon Kim, MD Joseph Kiss, MD Walter LInz, MD Arand Pierce, MD Joseph Schwartz, MD, MPH Beth Shaz, MD Zbigniew Szczepiorkowski, MD, PhD Jeffrey Winters, MD (Ed.) (2017). Bethesda, MD, AABB
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster Presentation: American Society for Apheresis Annual Meeting
- AABB (2017)
- American Society of Hematology (2016)
- International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis (2015)
- American Society for Apheresis (2011)