Dr. De Simone serves as the director of the coagulation laboratory and of the therapeutic apheresis service at UT Southwestern. The UTSW apheresis clinic is one of the largest in the country, and its nurses and physicians are actively involved in advancing the field’s practices. The coagulation laboratory at UTSW serves as a reference lab to the community and actively assists clinicians in the diagnosis and management of bleeding and clotting disorders.
Originally from Dallas, Dr. De Simone completed undergraduate studies at Southern Methodist University, where she pursued her interests in French literature and biology. She then received dual degrees in medicine and public health at Tulane University’s Schools of Medicine and of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. She subsequently underwent two years of obstetrics and gynecology residency before deciding to pursue a career in pathology. Dr. De Simone completed anatomic and clinical pathology training followed by a fellowship in Transfusion Medicine at UT Southwestern. Since joining the faculty, Dr. De Simone has been an active contributor to clinical research and national societies.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center 2013, Transfusion Medicine Pathology
- Undergraduate School
- Tulane School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine (2005)
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2005)
- Tulane University School of Medicine (2007), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Pathology
- Diagnosis of Platelet Dysfunction
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Therapeutic Plasma Exchange in the Management of Neurological Disorders
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Venous Access Options for Therapeutic Apheresis
- Viscoelastic Testing
- Single-needle: an effective alternative to dual-needle peripheral access in therapeutic plasma exchange.
- Doggett BM, Session-Augustine N, Roig J, Strunk M, Valiyaparambil S, Sarode R, De Simone N J Clin Apher 2018 Nov
- Prolonged partial thromboplastin time: To mix or not to mix - is that the question?
- Yates SG, Fitts E, De Simone N, Sarode R Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2018 Nov
- An Audit of Thrombophilia Testing in Patients with Ischemic Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack: The Futility of Testing.
- Gavva C, Johnson M, De Simone N, Sarode R J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2018 Aug
- Intravenous immunoglobulin as an adjunct therapy in persisting heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
- Park BD, Kumar M, Nagalla S, De Simone N, Aster RH, Padmanabhan A, Sarode R, Rambally S Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2018 Aug 57 4 561-565
- A tale of two ports: an in vitro comparison of flow characteristics for therapeutic plasma exchange.
- De Simone N, Sarode R Transfusion 2018 Feb 58 Suppl 1 605-608
- Mathematical calculation of lifespan of transfused RBCs in sickle cell disease patients.
- Kim J, Usmani A, De Simone N, Sarode R Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2017 Nov
- The Utility of Viscoelastic Testing in Patients Undergoing IR Procedures.
- Reis SP, DeSimone N, Barnes L, Nordeck SM, Grewal S, Cripps M, Kalva SP J Vasc Interv Radiol 2016 Nov
- Ischemic stroke in a patient with moderate to severe inherited factor VII deficiency.
- Reddy M, Tawfik B, Gavva C, Yates S, De Simone N, Hofmann SL, Rambally S, Sarode R Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2016 Oct
- Developing a multidisciplinary Young Women's Blood Disorders Program: a single-centre approach with guidance for other centres.
- Zia A, Lau M, Journeycake J, Sarode R, Marshall J, De Simone N, Wilson E, Winborn A, Kouides P Haemophilia 2016 Jan
- Therapeutic plasma exchange in the management of sepsis and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome: A report of three cases.
- De Simone N, Racsa L, Bevan S, Matevosyan K, Valley T, Girod C, Sarode R J Clin Apher 2013 Sep
Therapeutic Apheresis: A Physician's Handbook. 5th Edition
Kendall Crookston Meghan Delaney, DO, MPH Nicole De Simone, MD, MPH Haewon Kim, MD Joseph Kiss, MD Walter LInz, MD Arand Pierce, MD Joseph Schwartz, MD, MPH Beth Shaz, MD Zbigniew Szczepiorkowski, MD, PhD Jeffrey Winters, MD (Ed.) (2017). Bethesda, MD, AABB
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster Presentation: American Society for Apheresis Annual Meeting
- AABB (2017)
- American Society of Hematology (2016)
- International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis (2015)
- American Society for Apheresis (2011)