After earning his medical degree and interning at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Dr. Atkinson completed a psychiatry residency at UT Southwestern and a child and adolescent psychiatry residency at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. In 2010, he completed addiction treatment training through a Mayo Clinic Fellowship.
Dr. Atkinson’s interest in addiction treatment developed after seeing firsthand the effects of substance abuse during his residency training. Dr. Atkinson treats substance abuse disorder and addiction with the understanding that it’s a pediatric disease, usually developing during adolescence. Dr. Atkinson’s research interests include adolescent substance use as well as aggression in children.
Dr. Atkinson is an active member of the American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry and the Texas Society of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He serves on the board of directors for the Low Birth Weight Development Center, an organization that provides parent training, therapy and follow-up care for children who were born premature.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (2004)
- UT Health Science Center at Houston (2005), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2007), Psychiatry
- University of Alabama Birmingham - GME (2009), Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (2010), Addiction Psychiatry
- The Clinical Utility of ASRS-v1.1 for Identifying ADHD in Alcoholics Using PRISM as the Reference Standard.
- Reyes MM, Schneekloth TD, Hitschfeld MJ, Geske JR, Atkinson DL, Karpyak VM J Atten Disord 2016 May
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Most Outstanding Contribution to Medical Education (2014, 2017)
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (2010)
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2007)