Linda A. Baker, MD is a Professor of Urology, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and a Board-certified Pediatric Urologist, Children's Health. After UVA urology residency (1989-1995), she was an American Foundation for Urological Disease Research Scholar (1995-1997) and completed a pediatric urology postdoctoral fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions (1997-1999). After joining UTSW (1999), she created a thriving pediatric urology research program NIH funded since 2001. Clinically, she specializes in complex genitourinary surgical reconstruction and contributes to new discoveries for children with prune belly syndrome; kidney stones, disorders of sexual development; cryptorchidism; testicular torsion; and congenital female vaginal anomalies. With a personalized medicine approach, her research team recruits individuals affected with these problems and performs cutting edge DNA testing using next generation sequencing technologies to discover their causes. She has served on numerous ad hoc and standing NIH study sections, is the Society for Pediatric Urology Research Grants Committee chair, is on the AUA Practice Guidelines Committee, and was past chair of the AUA Research Grants and Investigator Support Committee. She has authored 23 book chapters and >120 publications, has a medical device patent, has held 29 visiting professorships nationally/internationally, and helped coauthor the 2014 AUA Practice Guidelines on cryptorchidism. As a national leader in corrective vaginal surgery, she has been Course Director since 2013 for the international live surgery training course webinar, "Vaginoplasty for Birth Defects of Surgical Complications and the Oral Buccal Mucosa Technique." She also compassionately treats children with testicular torsion and kidney stones and directs the Pediatric Kidney Stone Center at Children’s Health Dallas. She is a Castle Connolly "Top Doctors” 2014-2019, a Texas Monthly magazine’s “Texas Top Doctors” 2010–2019 and named D Magazine “Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas” since 2004. Dr. Baker lives in Southlake, Texas, USA with her dear husband and has two beautiful grown children.
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1989)
- University of Virginia Health System (1991), General Surgery
- University of Virginia Health System (1995), Urology
- University of Virginia Health System (1997), Nephrology
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1999), Pediatric Urology
- Causes of disorders of sexual development
- Causes of hypospadias
- Causes of undescended testes and testicular torsion
- Genetic basis of female reproductive birth defects
- Genetic Basis of Prune Belly Syndrome
- Inherited or familial birth defects of the genitourinary tract
- Pediatric renal stone disease
- Diagnosing Testicular Torsion before Urologic Consultation and Imaging: A Validation of the TWIST Score.
- Sheth KR, Keays M, Grimsby GM, Granberg CF, Menon VS, DaJusta DG, Ostrov L, Hill M, Sanchez E, Kuppermann D, Harrison CB, Jacobs MA, Huang R, Burgu B, Hennes H, Schlomer BJ, Baker LA J. Urol. 2016 Jan
- A homozygous loss-of-function variant in MYH11 in a case with megacystis-microcolon-intestinal hypoperistalsis syndrome.
- Gauthier J, Ouled Amar Bencheikh B, Hamdan FF, Harrison SM, Baker LA, Couture F, Thiffault I, Ouazzani R, Samuels ME, Mitchell GA, Rouleau GA, Michaud JL, Soucy JF Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2014 Nov
- The use of autologous buccal mucosa grafts in vaginal reconstruction.
- Grimsby GM, Baker LA Curr Urol Rep 2014 Aug 15 8 428
- DNA Copy-Number Variations in 46,XY Disorders of Sex Development.
- Harrison SM, Granberg CF, Keays M, Grimsby GM, Baker LA J. Urol. 2014 Jun
- DNA copy number variations in patients with persistent cloaca.
- Harrison SM, Seideman C, Baker LA J. Urol. 2014 May 191 5 Suppl 1543-6
- Evaluation and Treatment of Cryptorchidism: AUA Guideline.
- Kolon TF, Anthony Herndon CD, Baker LA, Baskin LS, Baxter CG, Cheng EY, Diaz M, Lee PA, Seashore CJ, Tasian GE, Barthold JS J. Urol. 2014 May
- Autologous buccal mucosa graft augmentation for foreshortened vagina.
- Grimsby GM, Bradshaw K, Baker LA Obstet Gynecol 2014 May 123 5 947-50
- An Approach to the Identification of Anomalies and Etiologies in Neonates with Identified or Suspected VACTERL (Vertebral Defects, Anal Atresia, Tracheo-Esophageal Fistula with Esophageal Atresia, Cardiac Anomalies, Renal Anomalies, and Limb Anomalies) Association.
- Solomon BD, Baker LA, Bear KA, Cunningham BK, Giampietro PF, Hadigan C, Hadley DW, Harrison S, Levitt MA, Niforatos N, Paul SM, Raggio C, Reutter H, Warren-Mora N J. Pediatr. 2014 Mar 164 3 451-457.e1
- Screening and familial characterization of copy-number variations in NR5A1 in 46,XY disorders of sex development and premature ovarian failure.
- Harrison SM, Campbell IM, Keays M, Granberg CF, Villanueva C, Tannin G, Zinn AR, Castrillon DH, Shaw CA, Stankiewicz P, Baker LA Am. J. Med. Genet. A 2013 Aug
- Pilot feasibility study of transscrotal near infrared spectroscopy in the evaluation of adult acute scrotum.
- Burgu B, Aydogdu O, Huang R, Soygur T, Yaman O, Baker L J. Urol. 2013 Jul 190 1 124-9
Ch. 38, "Robotic Surgery Complications and Safety", pp. 279-289. In Pediatric Robotic and Reconstructive Urology
DaJusta, D. and Baker, L.A. (2012). Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Limited
Ch. 43 Cryptorchidism, pp.563-576. In Pediatric Urology, 2nd edition
Bergu, B., Baker, L.A., and Docimo, S.G. (2010). Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Company
Exstrophy-Epispadias Complex. In The Kelalis-King-Belman Textbook of Clinical Pediatric Urology
Grady, R and Baker, L.A. (2007). Informa Healthcare
Ch. 94 Laparoscopic Treatment of the Non-palpable Testicle, pp 847-855. In Smith's Textbook of Endourology, 2nd edition
Baker, L.A. and Jordan, G.H. (2006). Hamilton, Ontario, BC Decker, Inc
General Principles of Cystourethroscopy. In In Pediatric Endourology Techniques, 2nd edition
Keays, M and Baker, L.A. (2013). Oxford, England, P. Blackwell Publishing
Bladder and Outlet Injection for Urinary Incontinence. In In Pediatric Endourology Techniques, 2nd edition
Yucel, S and Baker, L.A. (2013). London, England, P. Springer-Verlag London Ltd
Flaps in Hypospadias Surgery. In Hinman's Atlas of Urologic Surgery, 3rd Edition
Prieto, J.C. and Baker, L.A. (2011). Philadelphia, PA, Saunders
Disorders of Sex Development (DSD). In International Consultation on Urological Diseases (ICUD): International Consultation on Congenital Anomalies in Children
Grimsby, GM, LeClair, M-D, Schneck, FX, Lee, PA, Wolffenbuttel, KP, and Baker, LA. (2014). Société Internationale d?Urologie (SIU)
Ch. 14, Laparoscopy and Cryptorchidism, pp 161-176. In Minimally Invasive Approaches to Pediatric Urology
Baker, L.A., Lorenzo, A.J., Jordan, G.H., and Docimo, S.G. (2005). Oxfordshire, OX, UK, Taylor & Francis
Honors & Awards
- John W. Duckett, MD Pediatric Urology Research Excellence Award
Awarded by the American Urologic Association Urology Care Foundation (2014)
- America's Top Surgeons
Consumer's Research Council of America (2012)
- SWIU/SBUR Award for Excellence in Urologic Research
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report (2011)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly Magazine 2010-2014 (2010)
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster Prize
European Society for Pediatric Urology (2005)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 (2004-2014)
- First Prize Research Award
Engineering and Urology Society (2004)
- AAP Section of Urology Basic Research Prize Finalist
- Society for Basic Urologic Research/Merck Young Investigator Award
- American Society of Human Genetics (2010)
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (2002)
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Urology (2001)
- Society for Basic Urological Research (2001)
- Society for Pediatric Urology (2001)
- American Urological Association (1997)
- Society for Fetal Urology (1997)