Ramesh Saxena, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Nephrology. He specializes in the treatment of lupus nephritis, glomerulonephritis, and peritoneal dialysis.
Originally from India, Dr. Saxena earned his medical degree at Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi, and his doctoral degree in autoimmune glomerulonephritis at Lund University in Sweden. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Northeastern Ohio University College of Medicine in Canton, and received advanced training through a postdoctoral fellowship at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and a nephrology fellowship at The Ohio State University Hospitals in Columbus, Ohio.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in nephrology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1999.
Among other roles, Dr. Saxena is Medical Director of UT Southwestern’s Davita Irving Dialysis Center. He serves on the Clinician Educator Compensation Plan Committee and the Clinical Competency Committee for Renal Fellows at UT Southwestern, where he is also a Clinical Documentation Improvement Provider Champion in Nephrology. In addition, since 2009 he has provided patient care at the Denton County India Culture Association’s Annual Free Clinic.
He is a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology and a member of the International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis and other professional organizations, and he serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Vascular Access.
Dr. Saxena has delivered scores of lectures, published numerous peer-reviewed articles, and contributed chapters to several books, including Andreoli & Carpenter’s Cecil Essentials of Medicine and Silva’s Diagnostic Renal Pathology.
In 2012 and 2015, he received UT Southwestern’s Excellence in Teaching Award in Nephrology.
- Medical School
- Delhi University/Maulana Azad Medical College (1986)
- Aultman Hospital - NEOUCOM (1995), Internal Medicine
- Aultman Hospital - NEOUCOM (1997), Internal Medicine
- Ohio State University Hospitals (1999), Nephrology
- Intensive Care Nephrology
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Peritoneal Dialysis: Misperceptions and Reality.
- Saxena R Am. J. Med. Sci. 2014 May
- Tissue engineering bone using autologous progenitor cells in the peritoneum.
- Shen J, Nair A, Saxena R, Zhang CC, Borrelli J, Tang L PLoS ONE 2014 9 3 e93514
- The effect of erythropoietin on autologous stem cell-mediated bone regeneration.
- Nair AM, Tsai YT, Shah KM, Shen J, Weng H, Zhou J, Sun X, Saxena R, Borrelli J, Tang L Biomaterials 2013 Oct 34 30 7364-71
- Urinary Angiostatin - a novel marker of renal pathology chronicity in lupus nephritis.
- Wu T, Du Y, Han J, Singh S, Xie C, Guo Y, Zhou XJ, Ahn C, Saxena R, Mohan C Mol. Cell Proteomics 2013 Jan
- Urine VCAM-1 as a marker of renal pathology activity index in lupus nephritis.
- Singh S, Wu T, Xie C, Vanarsa K, Han J, Mahajan T, Oei HB, Ahn C, Zhou XJ, Putterman C, Saxena R, Mohan C Arthritis Res. Ther. 2012 Jul 14 4 R164
- Peritoneal catheter implantation elicits IL-10-producing immune-suppressor macrophages through a MyD88-dependent pathway.
- Min SY, Fu Y, Hutcheson J, Wu T, Khobahy E, Zhu J, Vanarsa K, Du Y, Park MJ, Park HS, Saxena R, Kim HY, Mohan C Clin. Immunol. 2012 Apr 143 1 59-72
- Lupus Nephritis: A Retrospective Analysis of Clinical Presentation and Outcomes From a Single Center.
- Singh S, Zhou XJ, Ahn C, Saxena R The American journal of the medical sciences 2011 Jun
- Lupus nephritis: current update.
- Saxena R, Mahajan T, Mohan C Arthritis Res. Ther. 2011 13 5 240
- Quantitative planar array screen of 1000 proteins uncovers novel urinary protein biomarkers of lupus nephritis.
- Vanarsa K, Soomro S, Zhang T, Strachan B, Pedroza C, Nidhi M, Cicalese P, Gidley C, Dasari S, Mohan S, Thai N, Truong VTT, Jordan N, Saxena R, Putterman C, Petri M, Mohan C, Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2020 Jul
- Comprehensive aptamer-based screening identifies a spectrum of urinary biomarkers of lupus nephritis across ethnicities.
- Stanley S, Vanarsa K, Soliman S, Habazi D, Pedroza C, Gidley G, Zhang T, Mohan S, Der E, Suryawanshi H, Tuschl T, Buyon J, Putterman C, Mok CC, Petri M, Saxena R, Mohan C, Nat Commun 2020 May 11 1 2197
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Award - Nephrology
UT Southwestern (2022)
- Best Doctors
D Magazine (2021)
American Society of Nephrology (2015)
- Excellence in Teaching Award - Nephrology
UT Southwestern (2012)
- Anna Greta Crafoord Prize for Best PhD Thesis
The University of Lund (1991)
- Swedish Institute Scholarship
Award by Swedish Government to pursue higher studies in a Swedish University (1987-1990)
- American Society of Nephrology
- International Society of Nephrology
- International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis
- National Kidney Foundation
- Texas Medical Association