- Medical School
- Nanjing Medical University (1982), Medicine
- Graduate School
- Nanjing Medical University (1988), Pediatric Nephrology
- Graduate School
- University of Paris - France (1999), Physiology
- Biology and pathophysiology of Klotho, FGF23, and phosphate
- Interaction between autophagy, phosphate, and Klotho
- Renal physiology
- Role of aberrant Klotho and FGF23 axis in acute kidney injury
- Role of aberrant of Klotho and FGF23 axis in chronic kidney disease
- Beclin 1/Bcl-2 complex-dependent autophagy activity modulates renal susceptibility to ischemia-reperfusion injury and mediates renoprotection by Klotho.
- Li P, Shi M, Maique J, Shaffer J, Yan S, Moe OW, Hu MC. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2020 318 3
- Interaction between the autophagy protein Beclin 1 and Na+,K+-ATPase during starvation, exercise, and ischemia.
- Fernández ÁF, Liu Y, Ginet V, Shi M, Nah J, Zou Z, Zhou A, Posner BA, Xiao G, Tanguy M, Paradis V, Sadoshima J, Rautou PE, Puyal J, Hu MC, Levine B. JCI Insight. 2020 5 1
- The tripartite interaction of phosphate, autophagy, and aKlotho in health maintenance.
- Shi M, Maique J, Shaffer J, Davidson T, Sebti S, Fernández ÁF, Zou Z, Yan S, Levine B, Moe OW, Hu MC. FASEB J. 2020 34 2 3129-3150
- Cisplatin nephrotoxicity as a model of chronic kidney disease.
- Shi M, McMillan KL, Wu J, Gillings N, Flores B, Moe OW, Hu MC Lab. Invest. 2018 Jun
- The Hormone FGF21 Stimulates Water Drinking in Response to Ketogenic Diet and Alcohol.
- Song P, Zechner C, Hernandez G, Cánovas J, Xie Y, Sondhi V, Wagner M, Stadlbauer V, Horvath A, Leber B, Hu MC, Moe OW, Mangelsdorf DJ, Kliewer SA. Cell metabolism. 2018 27 6 1338-1347
- Disruption of the beclin 1-BCL2 autophagy regulatory complex promotes longevity in mice.
- Fernández ÁF, Sebti S, Wei Y, Zou Z, Shi M, McMillan KL, He C, Ting T, Liu Y, Chiang WC, Marciano DK, Schiattarella GG, Bhagat G, Moe OW, Hu MC, Levine B. Nature 2018 558 7708 136-140.
- Effects of erythropoietin receptor activity on angiogenesis, tubular injury, and fibrosis in acute kidney injury: a "U-shaped" relationship.
- Shi M, Flores B, Li P, Gillings N, McMillan KL, Ye J, Huang LJ, Sidhu SS, Zhong YP, Grompe MT, Streeter PR, Moe OW, Hu MC. American journal of physiology. Renal physiology. 2018 314 4 F501-F516.
- a-Klotho is a non-enzymatic molecular scaffold for FGF23 hormone signalling.
- Chen G, Liu Y, Goetz R, Fu L, Jayaraman S, Hu MC, Moe OW, Liang G, Li X, Mohammadi M. Nature. 2018 553 7689 461-466.
- Recombinant a-Klotho may be prophylactic and therapeutic for acute to chronic kidney disease progression and uremic cardiomyopathy.
- Hu MC, Shi M, Gillings N, Flores B, Takahashi M, Kuro-O M, Moe OW. Kidney international. 2017 91 5 1104-1114.
- aKlotho Mitigates Progression of AKI to CKD through Activation of Autophagy.
- Shi M, Flores B, Gillings N, Bian A, Cho HJ, Yan S, Liu Y, Levine B, Moe OW, Hu MC. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2016 27 8 2331-45
Klotho and chronic kidney disease. In Klotho
Neyra JA, Moe OW, Hu MC. (2016). ACADEMIC PRESS/ELSEVIER
Secreted Klotho and chronic kidney disease. In Endocrine FGFs and Klothos
Hu MC, Kuro-o M, Moe OW. (2012). LANDES/ Madame Curie Bioscience