Board certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation with clinical and research interests in geriatric patient population
- Medical School
- University College Cork School of Medicine (1987)
- Medical School
- University of Dublin, Trinity College (1994)
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (1995), Medicine
- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education (1998), Pain Management & Rehabilitation
- Geriatric rehabilitation
- Studies on haemagglutination and serum resistance status of strains of Moraxella catarrhalis isolated from the elderly.
- Murphy S, Fitzgerald M, Mulcahy R, Keane C, Coakley D, Scott T Gerontology 1997 43 5 277-82
- Haemagglutination properties of Moraxella (Branhamella) catarrhalis.
- Fitzgerald M, Murphy S, Mulcahy R, Keane C, Coakley D, Scott T Br. J. Biomed. Sci. 1996 Dec 53 4 257-62
- Bone aluminium content in Alzheimer's disease.
- O'Mahony D, Denton J, Templar J, O'Hara M, Day JP, Murphy S, Walsh JB, Coakley D Dementia 1995 Mar-Apr 6 2 69-72
- Tetanus immunity in elderly people.
- Murphy SM, Hegarty DM, Feighery CS, Walsh JB, Williams Y, Coakley DP Age Ageing 1995 Mar 24 2 99-102
- The bactericidal effect of normal human serum on Moraxella catarrhalis
- Murphy SM, Scott T, Keane CT, et al. Age and Ageing 1994 Suppl 1 23 9
- Colonisation with Moraxella catarrhalis - a seasonal phenomenon?
- Murphy SM, Scott T, Keane CT, et al. Irish Journal of Medical Science 1994 2 163 51
- The epidemiology of Moraxella catarrhalis respiratory tract infection in an Irish hospital
- Murphy SM, Scott T, Keane CT, et al. Irish Journal of Medical Science 1994 2 163 52
- Management of respiratory infections in the elderly.
- Murphy S, Walsh B Ir Med J 1993 Jul-Aug 86 4 111
- Respiratory Tract Infections in the Elderly
- Murphy SM Irish Doctor 1993 2 36-42
- Comparative beta-lactimase activity among isolates of Moraxella catarrhalis from symptomatic and asymptomatic elderly
- Murphy SM, Hegarty V, Scott T, et al. Age and Ageing 1993 Suppl 3 22 20
Infections of the Airways and Lungs. In Drug Therapy in Old Age
Murphy S, Coakley D (1994). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Honors & Awards
- Research Enrichment Program for Physiatrists Scholarship
- Ferguson Anderson Prize
Presented by the British Geriatric Society for best poster presentation (1993)
- Presidential Medal of the Irish Gerontological Society
Presented by the society for best oral presentation (1993)
- Denis O'Sullivan Medal
Presented by the Department of Medicine, Cork Regional Hospital, for best presentation (1990)
- American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- American Medical Association
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association