Dr. Dan Sucato has been on staff at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children since completing the Dorothy and Bryant Edwards Fellowship in Pediatric Orthopaedics and Scoliosis at TSRHC in 1998. He graduated magna cum laude from Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. Dr. Sucato received his medical degree (magna cum laude) and a Master of Science degree in biophysics from Buffalo School of Medicine, State University of New York, where he also completed his general surgery internship, orthopaedic residency, and basic science research fellowship. He served as one of three International Traveling Fellows for the Scoliosis Research Society in 2003. During this three-week fellowship, Dr. Sucato delivered research presentations, studied and discussed landmark cases, observed surgeries at centers throughout Europe and collaborated with international spine experts. Dr. Sucato is widely published in the area of spinal deformity and has delivered dozens of presentations worldwide. His interests are spinal deformity; thoracoscopic approaches to the spine; hip conditions; adolescent hip dysplasia and its treatment with the Ganz pericetabular osteotomy. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and is an active staff member at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. Dr. Sucato is also a member of the American Medical Association; the Texas Medical Association; the Scoliosis Research Society; the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America; and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Undergraduate School
- Cansius College (1987)
- Medical School
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1991)
- State University of New York , Buffalo (1992), General Surgery
- Graduate School
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1997)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1997)
- State University of New York , Buffalo (1997), Orthopaedics
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital (1998), Pediatric Orthopedics & Scoliosis
- Hip conditions in the adolescent and young adult
- Spinal deformity (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Long-Term Outcome for Scoliosis Is Dependent on Several Factors: Commentary on an article by Elias Diarbakerli, PT, MSc, et al.: "Health-Related Quality of Life in Adulthood in Untreated and Treated Individuals with Adolescent or Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis".
- Sucato DJ J Bone Joint Surg Am 2018 May 100 10 e71
- Patient-Reported Outcomes of Periacetabular Osteotomy from the Prospective ANCHOR Cohort Study.
- Clohisy JC, Ackerman J, Baca G, Baty J, Beaulé PE, Kim YJ, Millis MB, Podeszwa DA, Schoenecker PL, Sierra RJ, Sink EL, Sucato DJ, Trousdale RT, Zaltz I J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017 Jan 99 1 33-41
- Patient-Reported Health Outcomes After in Situ Percutaneous Fixation for Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: An Average Twenty-Year Follow-up Study.
- Escott BG, De La Rocha A, Jo CH, Sucato DJ, Karol LA J Bone Joint Surg Am 2015 Dec 97 23 1929-34
- Guiding Growth Is Promising But Can It Compare with Growth Promotion? Commentary on an article by Richard E. McCarthy, MD, and Frances L. McCullough, MNSc: "Shilla Growth Guidance for Early-Onset Scoliosis. Results After a Minimum of Five Years of Follow-up".
- Sucato DJ J Bone Joint Surg Am 2015 Oct 97 19 e66
- Surgical site infections after posterior spinal fusion for neuromuscular scoliosis: a thirty-year experience at a single institution.
- Ramo BA, Roberts DW, Tuason D, McClung A, Paraison LE, Moore HG, Sucato DJ J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014 Dec 96 24 2038-48
- The impact of large-scale genomic methods in orthopaedic disorders: insights from genome-wide association studies.
- Paria N, Copley LA, Herring JA, Kim HK, Richards BS, Sucato DJ, Rios JJ, Wise CA J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014 Mar 96 5 e38
- Complications associated with the periacetabular osteotomy: a prospective multicenter study
- Zaltz I, Baca G, Kim YJ, Schoenecker P, Trousdale R, Sierra R, Sucato D, Sink E, Beaulé P, Millis MB, Podeszwa D, Clohisy JC. J Bone Joint Surgery 2014 06 23 1967-74
- Whole-exome sequencing: discovering genetic causes of orthopaedic disorders.
- Paria N, Copley LA, Herring JA, Kim HK, Richards BS, Sucato DJ, Wise CA, Rios JJ. J Bone Joint Surgery 2013 95 23
- A prospective multicenter study of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease: functional and radiographic outcomes of nonoperative treatment at a mean follow-up of twenty years.
- Larson AN, Sucato DJ, Herring JA, Adolfsen SE, Kelly DM, Martus JE, Lovejoy JF, Browne R, Delarocha A J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012 Apr 94 7 584-92
- Ultrasonographic Findings in Hips with a Positive Ortolani Sign and Their Relationship to Pavlik Harness Failure
- White K, Sucato DJ, Agrawal S, Browne R J Bone Joint Surgery 2010 92 (1) 113‑120
Honors & Awards
- Best Spine Paper- Safety in Spine Summit, 2019
- Healthgrades Honor Roll, 2019
- Super Doctor- Texas Monthly, 2018
- Moe Award Best Basic Science Poster, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society
- Goldstein Award Best Clinical Poster, 2008 Annual Meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society
- Best Clinical Podium Presentation, 2007 Annual Meeting of Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Best Pediatric Poster, 2007 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- William Beaumont Award, American Medical Association
- International Traveling Fellow
Scoliosis Research Society (2003)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques
- International Pediatric Orthopaedic ThinkTank
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- The Association for Collaborative Spine Research