Daniel Sucato, M.D.
Department Orthopaedic Surgery
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Dan Sucato has been on staff at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children since completing the Dorothy and Bryant Edwards Fellowship in Pediatric Orthopaedics and Scoliosis at TSRHC in 1998. He graduated magna cum laude from Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. Dr. Sucato received his medical degree (magna cum laude) and a Master of Science degree in biophysics from Buffalo School of Medicine, State University of New York, where he also completed his general surgery internship, orthopaedic residency, and basic science research fellowship. He served as one of three International Traveling Fellows for the Scoliosis Research Society in 2003. During this three-week fellowship, Dr. Sucato delivered research presentations, studied and discussed landmark cases, observed surgeries at centers throughout Europe and collaborated with international spine experts. Dr. Sucato is widely published in the area of spinal deformity and has delivered dozens of presentations worldwide. His interests are spinal deformity; thoracoscopic approaches to the spine; hip conditions; adolescent hip dysplasia and its treatment with the Ganz pericetabular osteotomy. He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and is an active staff member at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. Dr. Sucato is also a member of the American Medical Association; the Texas Medical Association; the Scoliosis Research Society; the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America; and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Undergraduate School
- Cansius College (1987)
- Medical School
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1991)
- State University of New York , Buffalo (1992), General Surgery
- Other Post Graduate Training
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1997)
- Graduate School
- State University of New York at Buffalo (1997)
- State University of New York , Buffalo (1997), Orthopaedics
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital (1998), Pediatric Orthopedics & Scoliosis
- Hip conditions in the adolescent and young adult
- Spinal deformity (scoliosis and kyphosis)
- Effect of dual screws across the vertebral neurocentral synchondrosis on spinal canal development in an immature spine: a porcine model.
- Zhou X, Zhang H, Sucato DJ, Johnston CE J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014 Sep 96 17 e146
- A novel Hinge-Link correction system for vertebral column resection: a pilot study in a porcine model.
- Zhang H, Sucato DJ, Ross D, Spine Deform 2022 Nov
- Best Practice Guidelines for Surgical Site Infection in High-risk Pediatric Spine Surgery: Definition, Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment.
- Badin D, Leland CR, Matsumoto H, Roye B, Vitale M, Flynn J, Samdani A, Larson AN, Yaszay B, Pahys J, Glotzbecker M, Bachmann KR, Newton PO, Betz R, Miyanji F, Shah S, Sturm PF, Hwang S, Erickson M, Cahill PJ, Fletcher N, Upasani VV, Sucato DJ, Sponseller PD, J Pediatr Orthop 2022 Aug
- Surgical outcomes of severe spinal deformities exceeding 100° or treated by vertebral column resection (VCR). Does implant density matter?: an observational study of deformity groupings.
- Boachie-Adjei O, Duah HO, Sackeyfio A, Yankey KP, Lenke LG, Sponseller PD, Samdani AF, Sucato DJ, Sides BA, Newton PO, Shah SA, Akoto H, Gupta MC, Spine Deform 2022 Mar
- Development of consensus-based best practice guidelines for response to intraoperative neuromonitoring events in high-risk spinal deformity surgery.
- Lenke LG, Fano AN, Iyer RR, Matsumoto H, Sucato DJ, Samdani AF, Smith JS, Gupta MC, Kelly MP, Kim HJ, Sciubba DM, Cho SK, Polly DW, Boachie-Adjei O, Lewis SJ, Angevine PD, Vitale MG, Spine Deform 2022 Mar
- Establishing consensus: determinants of high-risk and preventative strategies for neurological events in complex spinal deformity surgery.
- Iyer RR, Vitale MG, Fano AN, Matsumoto H, Sucato DJ, Samdani AF, Smith JS, Gupta MC, Kelly MP, Kim HJ, Sciubba DM, Cho SK, Polly DW, Boachie-Adjei O, Angevine PD, Lewis SJ, Lenke LG, Spine Deform 2022 Feb
- Acetabular Coverage May Affect Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes of Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation of Focal Femoral Head Lesions: A Case Series From a Single Institution.
- Mundluru SN, Podeszwa D, Peck J, Sucato D, Johnston C, Kim H, Wilson P, Ellis H, J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev 2021 Oct 5 10
- Use of transcranial motor-evoked potentials to provide reliable intraoperative neuromonitoring for the Charcot-Marie-Tooth population undergoing spine deformity surgery.
- Peck J, Poppino K, Sparagana S, Rampy P, Freeman S, Jo CH, Sucato D, Spine Deform 2021 Sep
- Incidence of Proximal Junctional Kyphosis With Pedicle Screws at Upper Instrumented Vertebrae in Posterior Spinal Fusion for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis.
- Ogura Y, Glassman SD, Sucato D, Hresko MT, Carreon LY, Global Spine J 2021 Sep 11 7 1019-1024
- Myelopathic Patients Undergoing Severe Pediatric Spinal Deformity Surgery Can Improve Neurologic Function to That of Non-Myelopathic Patients by 1-Year Postoperative.
- Cerpa M, Zuckerman SL, Lenke LG, Kelly MP, Yaszay B, Newton P, Sponseller P, Erickson M, Garg S, Pahys J, Samdani A, Cahill P, McCarthy R, Bumpass D, Sucato D, Boachie-Adjei O, Shah S, Gupta M, Global Spine J 2021 Aug 21925682211034837
Honors & Awards
- Best Spine Paper- Safety in Spine Summit, 2019
- Healthgrades Honor Roll, 2019
- Super Doctor- Texas Monthly, 2018
- Moe Award Best Basic Science Poster, 2009 Annual Meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society
- Goldstein Award Best Clinical Poster, 2008 Annual Meeting of the Scoliosis Research Society
- Best Clinical Podium Presentation, 2007 Annual Meeting of Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Best Pediatric Poster, 2007 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- William Beaumont Award, American Medical Association
- International Traveling Fellow
Scoliosis Research Society (2003)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques
- International Pediatric Orthopaedic ThinkTank
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- The Association for Collaborative Spine Research