Dr. Liang received his BS in Biochemistry from Peking University in 1991, and his PhD in Biochemistry from The Ohio state University in 1997. Dr. Liang did postdoctoral research in the laboratory of Drs. Michael Brown and Joseph Goldstein at UT Southwestern and worked as a senior scientist at Eli Lilly. In 2005, Dr. Liang returned to UT Southwestern as an assistant professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics.
Dr. Liang is currently professor in Department of Molecular Genetics and Center for Human Nutrition.
- Peking University (1991)
- Graduate School
- Ohio State University-Main Cam (1997)
- Cholesterol homeostasis
- Metabolic diseases such as obesity and diabetes
- Transcriptional regulation
- SREBP-regulated adipocyte lipogenesis is dependent on substrate availability and redox modulation of mTORC1.
- Crewe C, Zhu Y, Paschoal VA, Joffin N, Ghaben AL, Gordillo R, Oh DY, Liang G, Horton JD, Scherer PE, JCI Insight 2019 Jul 5
- Growth hormone acts on liver to stimulate autophagy, support glucose production, and preserve blood glucose in chronically starved mice.
- Fang F, Shi X, Brown MS, Goldstein JL, Liang G, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2019 Apr 116 15 7449-7454
- Critical Role of SREBP-1c Large-VLDL Pathway in Environment-Induced Hypertriglyceridemia of Apo AV Deficiency.
- Takanashi M, Kimura T, Li C, Tanaka M, Matsuhashi A, Yoshida H, Noda A, Xu P, Takase S, Okazaki S, Iizuka Y, Kumagai H, Ikeda Y, Gotoda T, Takahashi M, Yagyu H, Ishibashi S, Yamauchi T, Kadowaki T, Liang G, Okazaki H Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2019 Mar 39 3 373-386
- DHHC4 and DHHC5 Facilitate Fatty Acid Uptake by Palmitoylating and Targeting CD36 to the Plasma Membrane.
- Wang J, Hao JW, Wang X, Guo H, Sun HH, Lai XY, Liu LY, Zhu M, Wang HY, Li YF, Yu LY, Xie C, Wang HR, Mo W, Zhou HM, Chen S, Liang G, Zhao TJ Cell Rep 2019 Jan 26 1 209-221.e5
- Interplay between ChREBP and SREBP-1c Coordinates Postprandial Glycolysis and Lipogenesis in Livers of Mice.
- Linden AG, Li S, Choi HY, Fang F, Fukasawa M, Uyeda K, Hammer RE, Horton JD, Engelking LJ, Liang G J. Lipid Res. 2018 Jan
- Intestinal, but not hepatic, ChREBP is required for fructose tolerance.
- Kim M, Astapova II, Flier SN, Hannou SA, Doridot L, Sargsyan A, Kou HH, Fowler AJ, Liang G, Herman MA JCI Insight 2017 Dec 2 24
- Developmental and extrahepatic physiological functions of SREBP pathway genes in mice.
- Engelking LJ, Cantoria MJ, Xu Y, Liang G Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 2017 Jul
- CAT-2003: A novel sterol regulatory element-binding protein inhibitor that reduces steatohepatitis, plasma lipids, and atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E*3-Leiden mice.
- Zimmer M, Bista P, Benson EL, Lee DY, Liu F, Picarella D, Vega RB, Vu CB, Yeager M, Ding M, Liang G, Horton JD, Kleemann R, Kooistra T, Morrison MC, Wielinga PY, Milne JC, Jirousek MR, Nichols AJ Hepatol Commun 2017 Jun 1 4 311-325
- Expression of SREBP-1c requires SREBP-2-mediated generation of a sterol ligand for LXR in livers of mice.
- Rong S, Cortés VA, Rashid S, Anderson NN, McDonald JG, Liang G, Moon YA, Hammer RE, Horton JD Elife 2017 Feb 6
- Scap is required for sterol synthesis and crypt growth in intestinal mucosa.
- McFarlane MR, Cantoria MJ, Linden AG, January BA, Liang G, Engelking LJ J. Lipid Res. 2015 Apr
Honors & Awards
- The Hartwell Individual Biomedical Research Award
- University Fellowship, Ohio State University