Mark Johnson, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in the care of patients with cerebrovascular diseases and neurocritical care illnesses, with a special emphasis on patients who have had a stroke.
Dr. Johnson earned his medical degree at Universidad Central del Caribe in Puerto Rico. He completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in vascular neurology at George Washington University Medical Center, followed by advanced training in neurocritical care through a fellowship at the UT Health Science Center.
Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in neurology and vascular neurology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1998.
Dr. Johnson has been involved in the clinical research of stroke patients since early in his career. He has participated, both as co-investigator and primary investigator, in national and international clinical trials aiming to translate basic science and clinical research into applicable treatments for stroke patients.
At UT Southwestern, he has held multiple administrative positions, including Medical Director and Co-Director of the hospital’s comprehensive stroke centers and Section Chief of the Cerebrovascular Disease and Stroke section.
He has also served on multiple committees at the departmental, institutional, and national level.
Among his multiple honors, Dr. Johnson twice received the coveted Trephined Cranium Award for best teaching from the UTSW Department of Neurology.
- Medical School
- Universidad Central del Caribe (1992)
- George Washington University Hospital (1993), Internal Medicine
- George Washington University Hospital (1996), Neurology
- George Washington University Medical Center (1997), Vascular Neurology
- UT Health Science Center (1998), Neurocritical Care
- Large Vessel Disease Ischemia
- Preventative agents in Stroke
- Reactivation of Stroke Symptoms
- Small Subcortical Strokes
- Effect of Long-term Continuous Cardiac Monitoring vs Usual Care on Detection of Atrial Fibrillation in Patients With Stroke Attributed to Large- or Small-Vessel Disease: The STROKE-AF Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Bernstein RA, Kamel H, Granger CB, Piccini JP, Sethi PP, Katz JM, Vives CA, Ziegler PD, Franco NC, Schwamm LH, JAMA 2021 06 325 21 2169-2177
- Infarct Recurrence in Intracranial Atherosclerosis: Results from the MyRIAD Study.
- Romano JG, Prabhakaran S, Nizam A, Feldmann E, Sangha R, Cotsonis G, Campo-Bustillo I, Koch S, Rundek T, Chimowitz MI, Liebeskind DS, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2021 Feb 30 2 105504
- Initial Reliability and validity testing of the DESTINY stroke and large vessel screening tool
- Nyancho D, Cheung R, Venkatachalam AM, Atem FD, Olson DM, Diercks D, Johnson M, Novakovic-White R Journal of Health and Caring Sciences 2020 2 2 July-December
- Recent Trends in Electively Treated Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms.
- Salahuddin H, Siddiqui NS, Castonguay AC, Johnson M, Zaidi SF, Jumaa MA, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2019 Jul 28 7 2011-2017
- Final Results of the RHAPSODY Trial: A Multi-Center, Phase 2 Trial Using a Continual Reassessment Method to Determine the Safety and Tolerability of 3K3A-APC, A Recombinant Variant of Human Activated Protein C, in Combination with Tissue Plasminogen Activator, Mechanical Thrombectomy or both in Moderate to Severe Acute Ischemic Stroke.
- Lyden P, Pryor KE, Coffey CS, Cudkowicz M, Conwit R, Jadhav A, Sawyer RN, Claassen J, Adeoye O, Song S, Hannon P, Rost NS, Hinduja A, Torbey M, Lee JM, Benesch C, Rippee M, Rymer M, Froehler MT, Clarke Haley E, Johnson M, Yankey J, Magee K, Qidwai J, Levy H, Mark Haacke E, Fawaz M, Davis TP, Toga AW, Griffin JH, Zlokovic BV, Ann. Neurol. 2019 01 85 1 125-136
- An Audit of Thrombophilia Testing in Patients with Ischemic Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack: The Futility of Testing.
- Gavva C, Johnson M, De Simone N, Sarode R J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2018 Aug
- Mechanical thrombectomy in cerebral venous thrombosis: systematic review of 185 cases.
- Siddiqui FM, Dandapat S, Banerjee C, Zuurbier SM, Johnson M, Stam J, Coutinho JM, Stroke 2015 May 46 5 1263-8
- Amphetamine and other pharmacological agents in human and animal studies of recovery from stroke.
- Walker-Batson D, Mehta J, Smith P, Johnson M Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry 2015 Apr
- Mechanical Thrombectomy versus Intrasinus Thrombolysis for Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis: A Non-Randomized Comparison.
- Siddiqui FM, Banerjee C, Zuurbier SM, Hao Q, Ahn C, Pride GL, Wasay M, Majoie CB, Liebeskind D, Johnson M, Stam J Interv Neuroradiol 2014 Jun 20 3 336-44
- Aggressive medical treatment with or without stenting in high-risk patients with intracranial artery stenosis (SAMMPRIS): the final results of a randomised trial.
- Derdeyn CP, Chimowitz MI, Lynn MJ, Fiorella D, Turan TN, Janis LS, Montgomery J, Nizam A, Lane BF, Lutsep HL, Barnwell SL, Waters MF, Hoh BL, Hourihane JM, Levy EI, Alexandrov AV, Harrigan MR, Chiu D, Klucznik RP, Clark JM, McDougall CG, Johnson MD, Pride GL, Lynch JR, Zaidat OO, Rumboldt Z, Cloft HJ Lancet 2014 Jan 383 9914 333-41
Honors & Awards
- Trephined Cranium Award
Resident Award for Excellence in Teaching (2019)
- Stroke Volunter Award
Dallas/Fort Worth and East Texas AHA South Central Affiliate (2007)
- Gold Level of service PACT
Employee Recognition Program (2006)
- Trephined Cranium Award
Resident Award for Excellence in Teaching (2005)
- American Academy of Neurology Scholarship for Residents
Selected by faculty in residency program (1996)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Since medical school cum laude graduation (1992)
- American Stroke Association (1997)
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Society of Neuroimaging
- World Stroke Organization