Dr. Mammen received his Bachelor in Science and Engineering in Bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania and his Medical Doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. In 1998 he arrived at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he completed Fellowships in General Clinical Cardiology, Molecular Cardiology, and Clinical Heart Failure/Cardiac Transplantation. Dr. Mammen’s clinical and scientific focus revolves around heart failure/transplantation.
- Medical School
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine (1995)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1996), Internal Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1998), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Molecular Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Heart Failure/cardiac Transplant
- Cardiac energetics
- Modulation of the metabolic and redox states with stressed cardiomyocytes
- Oxidative stress
- Oxygen and nitric oxide metabolism in the heart
- Regenerative Medicine
- High incidence of cytomegalovirus disease in D+/R- heart transplant recipients shortly after completion of 3 months of valganciclovir prophylaxis.
- Gupta S, Mitchell JD, Markham DW, Mammen PP, Patel PC, Kaiser P, Ring WS, DiMaio JM, Drazner MH J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2008 May 27 5 536-9
- Long-term follow-up of a heart transplant recipient with documented seroconversion to HIV-positive status 1 year after transplant.
- Gupta S, Markham DW, Mammen PP, Kaiser P, Patel P, Ring WS, Drazner MH Am. J. Transplant. 2008 Apr 8 4 893-6
- Fulminant myocarditis.
- Gupta S., D.W. Markham, M.H. Drazner, and P.P.A. Mammen Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine 2008 5(11) 693-706
- Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.
- Garry DJ, Mammen PP Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2007 618 181-93
- Cytoglobin is a stress-responsive hemoprotein expressed in the developing and adult brain.
- Mammen PP, Shelton JM, Ye Q, Kanatous SB, McGrath AJ, Richardson JA, Garry DJ J. Histochem. Cytochem. 2006 Dec 54 12 1349-61
- Cytoglobin: A novel stress-responsive hemoprotein that is expressed in the developing and adult brain.
- Mammen P.P.A., J.M Shelton, Q. Ye, S.B. Kanatous, A.J. McGrath, J.A. Richardson, and D.J. Garry Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry 2006 54(12) 1349-1361
- Alternative therapies for orthotopic heart transplantation.
- Garry DJ, Goetsch SC, McGrath AJ, Mammen PP Am. J. Med. Sci. 2005 Aug 330 2 88-101
- The capsaicin-sensitive afferent neuron in skeletal muscle is abnormal in heart failure.
- Smith SA, Williams MA, Mitchell JH, Mammen PP, Garry MG Circulation 2005 Apr 111 16 2056-65
- LXRs regulate the balance between fat storage and oxidation.
- Kalaany NY, Gauthier KC, Zavacki AM, Mammen PP, Kitazume T, Peterson JA, Horton JD, Garry DJ, Bianco AC, Mangelsdorf DJ Cell Metab. 2005 Apr 1 4 231-44
- LXRs: Double agents in the regulation of dietary fat and cholesterol metabolism.
- Kalaany N.Y, K.C. Gauthier, A.M. Zavacki, P.P.A. Mammen, T. Kitazume, J.A. Peterson, D.J. Garry, A.C. Bianco, and D.J. Mangelsdorf. Cell Metabolism 2005 1 231-244
Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.. In Hypoxia and the Circulation
Garry, D.J. and P.P.A. Mammen (2007). Springer
Honors & Awards
- UTSW Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program (Class of 2013)
Only 30 out of 100 UTSW faculty members were chosen to enter the Class of 2013 based on their future leadership potential. (2013-2013)
- Recipient of a NIH-NHLBI R01 Research Grant
- Induction as a Fellow into the American Heart Association (Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences)
- Mentor to Diana Canseco PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Diplomate in Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Postdoctoral Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh, PhD, a Finalist for the Louis N. and Arnold M. Katz Basic Science Research Award
Highest basic science award given to a junior investigator. The award is sponsored by the American Heart Association (2010)
- Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Recipient of a AHA Grant-in-Aid Award
- 2nd Place, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators’ Forum
Outstanding research as a junior faculty member (2006)
- Finalist: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
Outstanding research as a cardiology fellow (2005)
- GlaxoSmithKline Competitive Grant Award for Young Investigators
One of four cardiovascular investigators in the nation to receive this competitive grant. (2005)
- Induction as a Fellow into the American College of Cardiology
- Recipient of a NIH Clinician Scientist Development Award
- Finalist: AstraZeneca Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
- Recipient of the Dr. Madhukar Deshmukh Award (Sponsored by the American Association of Cardiologists of Indian Origin)
- 3rd Place: Basic Science Research at the Young Investigators Molecular Cardiovascular Forum: Pathways to Cardiac Development and Regeneration (Sponsored by UT Southwestern Medical Center)
- Diplomate in Cardiovascular Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
Recognition for compassionate care (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- Diplomate in Internal Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Ernest O. Theilen Award
Outstanding Cardiac Care Unit Resident of the Year (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2008)
- Central Society for Clinical Research (2008)
- American College of Cardiology (2004)
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- American Heart Association (2004)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2004)
- Heart Failure Society of America (2004)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)