Dr. Mammen received his Bachelor in Science and Engineering in Bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania and his Medical Doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. In 1998 he arrived at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he completed Fellowships in General Clinical Cardiology, Molecular Cardiology, and Clinical Heart Failure/Cardiac Transplantation. Dr. Mammen’s clinical and scientific focus revolves around heart failure/transplantation.
- Medical School
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine (1995)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1996), Internal Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1998), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Molecular Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Heart Failure/cardiac Transplant
- Cardiac energetics
- Modulation of the metabolic and redox states with stressed cardiomyocytes
- Oxidative stress
- Oxygen and nitric oxide metabolism in the heart
- Regenerative Medicine
- Tolerability of sirolimus: a decade of experience at a single cardiac transplant center.
- Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, Kaiser PA, Ayers CR, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Ring WS, Peltz M, Drazner MH Clin Transplant 2013 Nov-Dec 27 6 945-52
- Pulmonary veins in the normal lung and pulmonary hypertension due to left heart disease.
- Hunt JM, Bethea B, Liu X, Gandjeva A, Mammen PP, Stacher E, Gandjeva MR, Parish E, Perez M, Smith L, Graham BB, Kuebler WM, Tuder RM Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2013 Sep
- Relationship of Right- to Left-Ventricular Filling Pressures in Advanced Heart Failure: Insights from the ESCAPE Trial.
- Drazner MH, Velez-Martinez M, Ayers C, Reimold SC, Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Patel CB Circ Heart Fail 2013 Feb
- Regulation of neonatal and adult mammalian heart regeneration by the miR-15 family.
- Porrello ER, Mahmoud AI, Simpson E, Johnson BA, Grinsfelder D, Canseco D, Mammen PP, Rothermel BA, Olson EN, Sadek HA Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Jan 110 1 187-92
- Health insurance as a requirement to undergo cardiac transplantation: a national survey of transplant program practices.
- Thibodeau JT, Rao MP, Gupta C, Ayers CR, Gupta S, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, King LP, Drazner MH Transplant. Proc. 2013 Jan 45 1 360-3
- Sirolimus use and incidence of venous thromboembolism in cardiac transplant recipients.
- Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, Kaiser PA, Ayers CR, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Ring WS, Peltz M, Drazner MH Clin Transplant 2012 Nov 26 6 953-9
- The natural history of new-onset heart failure with a severely depressed left ventricular ejection fraction: implications for timing of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implantation.
- Teeter WA, Thibodeau JT, Rao K, Brickner ME, Toto KH, Nelson LL, Mishkin JD, Ayers CR, Miller JG, Mammen PP, Patel PC, Markham DW, Drazner MH Am. Heart J. 2012 Sep 164 3 358-64
- IIIB or not IIIB: a previously unanswered question.
- Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Drazner MH J. Card. Fail. 2012 May 18 5 367-72
- Utilization of cardiac computed tomography angiography for the diagnosis of left ventricular assist device thrombosis.
- Mishkin JD, Enriquez JR, Meyer DM, Bethea BT, Thibodeau JT, Patel PC, Markham DW, Mammen PP, Velez-Martinez M, Drazner MH Circ Heart Fail 2012 Mar 5 2 e27-9
- Successful use of the TandemHeart percutaneous ventricular assist device as a bridge to recovery for acute cellular rejection in a cardiac transplant patient.
- Velez-Martinez M, Rao K, Warner J, Dimaio J, Ewing G, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Drazner MH, Markham DW, Patel PC Transplant. Proc. 2011 Dec 43 10 3882-4
Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.. In Hypoxia and the Circulation
Garry, D.J. and P.P.A. Mammen (2007). Springer
Honors & Awards
- UTSW Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program (Class of 2013)
Only 30 out of 100 UTSW faculty members were chosen to enter the Class of 2013 based on their future leadership potential. (2013-2013)
- Recipient of a NIH-NHLBI R01 Research Grant
- Induction as a Fellow into the American Heart Association (Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences)
- Mentor to Diana Canseco PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Diplomate in Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Postdoctoral Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh, PhD, a Finalist for the Louis N. and Arnold M. Katz Basic Science Research Award
Highest basic science award given to a junior investigator. The award is sponsored by the American Heart Association (2010)
- Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Recipient of a AHA Grant-in-Aid Award
- 2nd Place, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators’ Forum
Outstanding research as a junior faculty member (2006)
- Finalist: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
Outstanding research as a cardiology fellow (2005)
- GlaxoSmithKline Competitive Grant Award for Young Investigators
One of four cardiovascular investigators in the nation to receive this competitive grant. (2005)
- Induction as a Fellow into the American College of Cardiology
- Recipient of a NIH Clinician Scientist Development Award
- Finalist: AstraZeneca Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
- Recipient of the Dr. Madhukar Deshmukh Award (Sponsored by the American Association of Cardiologists of Indian Origin)
- 3rd Place: Basic Science Research at the Young Investigators Molecular Cardiovascular Forum: Pathways to Cardiac Development and Regeneration (Sponsored by UT Southwestern Medical Center)
- Diplomate in Cardiovascular Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
Recognition for compassionate care (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- Diplomate in Internal Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Ernest O. Theilen Award
Outstanding Cardiac Care Unit Resident of the Year (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2008)
- Central Society for Clinical Research (2008)
- American College of Cardiology (2004)
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- American Heart Association (2004)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2004)
- Heart Failure Society of America (2004)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)