Pradeep Mammen, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Cardiology. He serves as Medical Director of the Neuromuscular Cardiomyopathy Clinic, as well as Director of Translational Research for the Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Program.
Everything the heart failure/transplant team does, we do as a team – not as individuals – and our patients really benefit from that
Originally from Wisconsin, Dr. Mammen holds a bachelor's degree in bioengineering with a minor in electrical engineering from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He earned his medical degree at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine in Madison and completed an internal medicine internship and residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. He then obtained advanced training through fellowship programs in cardiology, heart failure/cardiac transplantation, and molecular cardiology at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular medicine, and advanced heart failure/transplant cardiology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2004. Dr. Mammen was promoted to Associate Professor in 2013, and to Professor in 2021.
Dr. Mammen is a member of the UT Southwestern Hamon Center for Regenerative Science & Medicine and has a molecular laboratory that is funded through grants from the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association. His scientific interests include the molecular mechanisms underlying heart failure and the development of targeted heart failure therapies.
A Fellow of both the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Mammen is one of only 500 U.S. cardiologists who are board certified in advanced heart failure/transplant cardiology.
Dr. Mammen has published more than 40 journal articles and delivered numerous invited lectures. He has served as a reviewer for publications that include the American Heart Journal, American Journal of Cardiology, American Journal of Physiology–Heart and Circulatory Physiology, Circulation: Heart Failure, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, and the Journal of Cardiac Failure. In addition, Dr. Mammen serves on the Scientific Review Committee for various study sections for the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association.
He is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Cardiology (Heart Failure/VAD/Heart Transplantation Section), American Heart Association (Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences as well as the Council on Clinical Cardiology), Heart Failure Society of America, International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation, and American College of Physicians.
Dr. Mammen is a proud father of two, a son and a daughter.
- University of Pennsylvania (1990), Biomedical Engineering
- Medical School
- Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (1995), Medicine
- Cardiac energetics
- Modulation of the metabolic and redox states with stressed cardiomyocytes
- Oxidative stress
- Oxygen and nitric oxide metabolism in the heart
- Regenerative Medicine
- Human Ventricular Unloading Induces Cardiomyocyte Proliferation.
- Canseco DC, Kimura W, Garg S, Mukherjee S, Bhattacharya S, Abdisalaam S, Das S, Asaithamby A, Mammen PP, Sadek HA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015 Jan
- Cytoglobin modulates myogenic progenitor cell viability and muscle regeneration.
- Singh S, Canseco DC, Manda SM, Shelton JM, Chirumamilla RR, Goetsch SC, Ye Q, Gerard RD, Schneider JW, Richardson JA, Rothermel BA, Mammen PP Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jan 111 1 E129-38
- Mice Deficient in the Respiratory Chain Gene Cox6a2 Are Protected against High-Fat Diet-Induced Obesity and Insulin Resistance.
- Quintens R, Singh S, Lemaire K, De Bock K, Granvik M, Schraenen A, Vroegrijk IO, Costa V, Van Noten P, Lambrechts D, Lehnert S, Van Lommel L, Thorrez L, De Faudeur G, Romijn JA, Shelton JM, Scorrano L, Lijnen HR, Voshol PJ, Carmeliet P, Mammen PP, Schuit F PLoS ONE 2013 8 2 e56719
- Clinical outcomes after cardiac transplantation in muscular dystrophy patients.
- Wu RS, Gupta S, Brown RN, Yancy CW, Wald JW, Kaiser P, Kirklin NM, Patel PC, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Garry DJ, Mammen PP J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2010 Apr 29 4 432-8
- Calcineurin activates cytoglobin transcription in hypoxic myocytes.
- Singh S.*, S.M. Manda*, D. Sikder, M.J. Birrer, B.A. Rothermel, D.J. Garry, and P.P.A. Mammen. Journal of Biological Chemistry February 2009 In Press Online February 9, 2009
- Fulminant myocarditis.
- Gupta S, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Mammen PP Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2008 Nov 5 11 693-706
- Variation of heart transplant rates in the united states during holidays.
- Grodin JL, Ayers CR, Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Patel PC Clin Transplant 2014 Jun
- A Sensitive Cardiac Troponin I Assay to Screen for Acute Rejection in Heart Transplant Patients.
- Patel PC, Hill DA, Ayers CR, Kaiser P, Lavingia B, Dyer AK, Barnes AP, Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Stastny P, Ring WS, de Lemos JA, Drazner MH Circ Heart Fail 2014 Apr
- Spliced X-box binding protein 1 couples the unfolded protein response to hexosamine biosynthetic pathway.
- Wang ZV, Deng Y, Gao N, Pedrozo Z, Li DL, Morales CR, Criollo A, Luo X, Tan W, Jiang N, Lehrman MA, Rothermel BA, Lee AH, Lavandero S, Mammen PP, Ferdous A, Gillette TG, Scherer PE, Hill JA Cell 2014 Mar 156 6 1179-92
- Characterization of a novel symptom of advanced heart failure: bendopnea.
- Thibodeau JT, Turer AT, Gualano SK, Ayers CR, Velez-Martinez M, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Levine BD, Drazner MH JACC Heart Fail 2014 Feb 2 1 24-31
Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.. In Hypoxia and the Circulation
Garry, D.J. and P.P.A. Mammen (2007). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program
UT Southwestern (2013)
American Heart Association (2011)
- Grant-in-Aid Award
American Heart Association (2009-2012)
- Second Place: Outstanding Research
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum (2006)
- Clinician-Scientist Development Award
National Institutes of Health (2005-2011)
- Competitive Grant Award for Young Investigators
American College of Cardiology (2005)
- Finalist: Outstanding Research as a Cardiology Fellow
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum (2005)
- Dr. Madhukar Deshmukh Award
American Association of Cardiologists of Indian Origin (2004)
AstraZeneca Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum (2004)
- Third Place: Basic Science Research
UT Southwestern Young Investigators Molecular Cardiovascular Forum (2003)
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (1998)
- Ernest O. Theilen Award
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (1998)
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Heart Association
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Heart Failure Society of America
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Texas Medical Association