Dr. Mammen received his Bachelor in Science and Engineering in Bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania and his Medical Doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. In 1998 he arrived at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he completed Fellowships in General Clinical Cardiology, Molecular Cardiology, and Clinical Heart Failure/Cardiac Transplantation. Dr. Mammen’s clinical and scientific focus revolves around heart failure/transplantation.
- Medical School
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine (1995)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1996), Internal Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1998), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Heart Failure/cardiac Transplant
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Molecular Cardiology
- Cardiac energetics
- Modulation of the metabolic and redox states with stressed cardiomyocytes
- Oxidative stress
- Oxygen and nitric oxide metabolism in the heart
- Regenerative Medicine
- Human Ventricular Unloading Induces Cardiomyocyte Proliferation.
- Canseco DC, Kimura W, Garg S, Mukherjee S, Bhattacharya S, Abdisalaam S, Das S, Asaithamby A, Mammen PP, Sadek HA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015 Jan
- Cytoglobin modulates myogenic progenitor cell viability and muscle regeneration.
- Singh S, Canseco DC, Manda SM, Shelton JM, Chirumamilla RR, Goetsch SC, Ye Q, Gerard RD, Schneider JW, Richardson JA, Rothermel BA, Mammen PP Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jan 111 1 E129-38
- Mice Deficient in the Respiratory Chain Gene Cox6a2 Are Protected against High-Fat Diet-Induced Obesity and Insulin Resistance.
- Quintens R, Singh S, Lemaire K, De Bock K, Granvik M, Schraenen A, Vroegrijk IO, Costa V, Van Noten P, Lambrechts D, Lehnert S, Van Lommel L, Thorrez L, De Faudeur G, Romijn JA, Shelton JM, Scorrano L, Lijnen HR, Voshol PJ, Carmeliet P, Mammen PP, Schuit F PLoS ONE 2013 8 2 e56719
- Clinical outcomes after cardiac transplantation in muscular dystrophy patients.
- Wu RS, Gupta S, Brown RN, Yancy CW, Wald JW, Kaiser P, Kirklin NM, Patel PC, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Garry DJ, Mammen PP J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2010 Apr 29 4 432-8
- Calcineurin activates cytoglobin transcription in hypoxic myocytes.
- Singh S.*, S.M. Manda*, D. Sikder, M.J. Birrer, B.A. Rothermel, D.J. Garry, and P.P.A. Mammen. Journal of Biological Chemistry February 2009 In Press Online February 9, 2009
- Fulminant myocarditis.
- Gupta S, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Mammen PP Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2008 Nov 5 11 693-706
- Variation of heart transplant rates in the united states during holidays.
- Grodin JL, Ayers CR, Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Drazner MH, Patel PC Clin Transplant 2014 Jun
- A Sensitive Cardiac Troponin I Assay to Screen for Acute Rejection in Heart Transplant Patients.
- Patel PC, Hill DA, Ayers CR, Kaiser P, Lavingia B, Dyer AK, Barnes AP, Thibodeau JT, Mishkin JD, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Stastny P, Ring WS, de Lemos JA, Drazner MH Circ Heart Fail 2014 Apr
- Spliced X-box binding protein 1 couples the unfolded protein response to hexosamine biosynthetic pathway.
- Wang ZV, Deng Y, Gao N, Pedrozo Z, Li DL, Morales CR, Criollo A, Luo X, Tan W, Jiang N, Lehrman MA, Rothermel BA, Lee AH, Lavandero S, Mammen PP, Ferdous A, Gillette TG, Scherer PE, Hill JA Cell 2014 Mar 156 6 1179-92
- Characterization of a novel symptom of advanced heart failure: bendopnea.
- Thibodeau JT, Turer AT, Gualano SK, Ayers CR, Velez-Martinez M, Mishkin JD, Patel PC, Mammen PP, Markham DW, Levine BD, Drazner MH JACC Heart Fail 2014 Feb 2 1 24-31
Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.. In Hypoxia and the Circulation
Garry, D.J. and P.P.A. Mammen (2007). Springer
Honors & Awards
- UTSW Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program (Class of 2013)
Only 30 out of 100 UTSW faculty members were chosen to enter the Class of 2013 based on their future leadership potential. (2013-2013)
- Recipient of a NIH-NHLBI R01 Research Grant
- Induction as a Fellow into the American Heart Association (Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences)
- Mentor to Diana Canseco PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Diplomate in Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Postdoctoral Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh, PhD, a Finalist for the Louis N. and Arnold M. Katz Basic Science Research Award
Highest basic science award given to a junior investigator. The award is sponsored by the American Heart Association (2010)
- Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh PhD, recipient of an AHA Postdoctoral Research Award
- Recipient of a AHA Grant-in-Aid Award
- 2nd Place, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators’ Forum
Outstanding research as a junior faculty member (2006)
- Finalist: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
Outstanding research as a cardiology fellow (2005)
- GlaxoSmithKline Competitive Grant Award for Young Investigators
One of four cardiovascular investigators in the nation to receive this competitive grant. (2005)
- Induction as a Fellow into the American College of Cardiology
- Recipient of a NIH Clinician Scientist Development Award
- Finalist: AstraZeneca Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum
- Recipient of the Dr. Madhukar Deshmukh Award (Sponsored by the American Association of Cardiologists of Indian Origin)
- 3rd Place: Basic Science Research at the Young Investigators Molecular Cardiovascular Forum: Pathways to Cardiac Development and Regeneration (Sponsored by UT Southwestern Medical Center)
- Diplomate in Cardiovascular Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
Recognition for compassionate care (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- Diplomate in Internal Medicine (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Ernest O. Theilen Award
Outstanding Cardiac Care Unit Resident of the Year (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2008)
- Central Society for Clinical Research (2008)
- American College of Cardiology (2004)
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- American Heart Association (2004)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2004)
- Heart Failure Society of America (2004)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)