Patrick Leavey graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1986. He spent 4 years in Ireland as a junior house officer (Internal Medicine and Pediatrics), 2 years at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth, Western Australia as a pediatric registrar and then came to the US to do his pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship at The Children’s Hospital Denver and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 1992. Dr. Leavey worked in the lab of Daniel Ambruso, M.D. for 4 years on projects related to the influence of G-CSF on granulocyte function and the exploration and identification of a novel neutrophil cytosolic protein.
Dr. Leavey joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 1998 where he is currently a Professor of Pediatrics and a Pediatric Oncologist at Children’s Health, Children’s Medical Center Dallas and Plano.
During his years of training Dr. Leavey became a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a Diplomate of Child Health from the National University of Ireland. He was granted a Doctorate in Medicine from the National University of Ireland, based on his work in the Ambruso laboratory. He is subspecialty board certified in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics.
Currently Dr. Leavey holds several leadership positions both regionally and nationally. He is the Associate Vice Chair for Research Operations at the Department of Pediatrics, and the Associate Director for Clinical research for the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas. Dr. Leave is the Immediate Past President of the Active Medical / Dental Staff at Children's Medical Center Dallas and past President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. At the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), Dr. Leavey was a long-standing member of the Bone Sarcoma Steering Committee up to 2023. Dr. Leavey continues to serve on medical advisory boards for the Children’s Cancer Fund and The Clayton Dabney Foundation.
Dr. Leavey hold several key positions in clinical and translational research. He is the co-chair for the COG study AOST2031, a co-investigator for a CPRIT funded study of whole slide imaging in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma and the principal investigator for a Team Connor Foundation award to study machine learning tools in osteosarcoma. Dr. Leavey is also the site PI for an American Society of Hematology Award, establishing the North Texas Sickle Cell Disease Clinical Trial Unit.
- Medical School
- Royal College of Surgeons (1986)
- Beaumont Hospital (1987), General Surgery
- St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1989), Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1996), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Children's Hospital of Denver (1998), Pediatrics
- Development of advances in therapy for children with sarcoma
- Development of novel biomarkers for patients with bone and soft tissue sarcoma using advanced imaging, digital histology and automated learning tools
- An international working group consensus report for the prioritization of molecular biomarkers for Ewing sarcoma.
- Shulman DS, Whittle SB, Surdez D, Bailey KM, de Álava E, Yustein JT, Shlien A, Hayashi M, Bishop AJR, Crompton BD, DuBois SG, Shukla N, Leavey PJ, Lessnick SL, Kovar H, Delattre O, Grünewald TGP, Antonescu CR, Roberts RD, Toretsky JA, Tirode F, Gorlick R, Janeway KA, Reed D, Lawlor ER, Grohar PJ, NPJ Precis Oncol 2022 Sep 6 1 65
- Enhancing access to and diversity in cancer clinical trials through a financial reimbursement program: Protocol to evaluate a novel program.
- Gerber DE, Tiro JA, McNeill LH, Williams EL, Zhu H, Lee SJC, Leavey PJ, Sadeghi N, Kapinos KA, Dornsife DL, Nguyen V, Wileyto EP, Guerra CE, Contemp Clin Trials 2022 Sep 121 106922
- Deep Learning of Rhabdomyosarcoma Pathology Images for Classification and Survival Outcome Prediction.
- Zhang X, Wang S, Rudzinski ER, Agarwal S, Rong R, Barkauskas DA, Daescu O, Cline LF, Venkatramani R, Xie Y, Xiao G, Leavey P, Am J Pathol 2022 Apr
- Reply to J.-G. Wang et al.
- Leavey PJ, Krailo MD, DuBois SG, Reed DR, Janeway KA, Mascarenhas L, J Clin Oncol 2022 Mar JCO2102922
- Correlation of histopathology and multi-modal magnetic resonance imaging in childhood osteosarcoma: Predicting tumor response to chemotherapy.
- Teo KY, Daescu O, Cederberg K, Sengupta A, Leavey PJ, PLoS One 2022 17 2 e0259564
- Phase III Trial Adding Vincristine-Topotecan-Cyclophosphamide to the Initial Treatment of Patients With Nonmetastatic Ewing Sarcoma: A Children's Oncology Group Report.
- Leavey PJ, Laack NN, Krailo MD, Buxton A, Randall RL, DuBois SG, Reed DR, Grier HE, Hawkins DS, Pawel B, Nadel H, Womer RB, Letson GD, Bernstein M, Brown K, Maciej A, Chuba P, Ahmed AA, Indelicato DJ, Wang D, Marina N, Gorlick R, Janeway KA, Mascarenhas L, J Clin Oncol 2021 Oct JCO2100358
- Isotope tracing reveals glycolysis and oxidative metabolism in childhood tumors of multiple histologies.
- Johnston K, Pachnis P, Tasdogan A, Faubert B, Zacharias LG, Vu HS, Rodgers-Augustyniak L, Johnson A, Huang F, Ricciardo S, Zhao Z, Mathews TP, Watt T, Leavey P, DeBerardinis RJ, Med (N Y) 2021 04 2 4 395-410
- Genomic and Immunologic Characterization of INI1-Deficient Pediatric Cancers.
- Forrest SJ, Al-Ibraheemi A, Doan D, Ward A, Clinton CM, Putra J, Pinches RS, Kadoch C, Chi SN, DuBois SG, Leavey PJ, LeBoeuf NR, Mullen E, Collins N, Church AJ, Janeway KA, Clin. Cancer Res. 2020 Jun 26 12 2882-2890
- Novel PDGFRB rearrangement in multifocal infantile myofibromatosis is tumorigenic and sensitive to imatinib.
- Hassan M, Butler E, Wilson R, Roy A, Zheng Y, Liem P, Rakheja D, Pavlick D, Young LL, Rosenzweig M, Erlich R, Ali SM, Leavey PJ, Parsons DW, Skapek SX, Laetsch TW, Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud 2019 Oct 5 5
- Correction: Detection of circulating tumour DNA is associated with inferior outcomes in Ewing sarcoma and osteosarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Shulman DS, Klega K, Imamovic-Tuco A, Clapp A, Nag A, Thorner AR, Van Allen E, Ha G, Lessnick SL, Gorlick R, Janeway KA, Leavey PJ, Mascarenhas L, London WB, Vo KT, Stegmaier K, Hall D, Krailo MD, Barkauskas DA, DuBois SG, Crompton BD, Br. J. Cancer 2019 Apr 120 8 869
Histopathological Diagnosis for Viable and Non-viable Tumor Prediction for Osteosarcoma Using Convolutional Neural Network. In Bioinformatics Research and Verlag
Mishra R, Daescu O, Leavey P, Rakheja D, Sengupta A. (2017). Springer
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Annual Leaders in Clinical Excellence, Program Development Award (nominee)
- DFWHC Foundation, Dallas Physician of the Year (nominee)
Sponsored by Children's Health, Children's Medical Center Dallas (2020)
- Physician of the Year
Children's Health, Children's Medical Center Dallas (2020)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010-2023)
- Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern and Children's Medical Center (2009)
- Medical Achievement Award
Little Mo Award - awarded by Wipe out Kids Cancer (2008)
- Elected to the Society for Pediatric Research
- Achievement Award
Gift of Giving Back Award; first such award given by the Clayton Dabney Foundation for Kids with Cancer (2005)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2004)
- Children's Oncology Group (2002)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Dallas County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association
- Society for Pediatric Research (2006)