Randall Hughes, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Randall S. Hughes, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Hematology and Oncology. He specializes in cancers of the head and neck.
Dr. Hughes earned his medical degree summa cum laude at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He then completed a four-year internal medicine residency at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, where he was Chief Resident. He then completed advanced training through fellowships in hematology and oncology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Hughes's research interests include head, neck, and lung cancers. He has published approximately 20 peer-reviewed journal articles and delivered several Grand Rounds lectures.
Dr. Hughes is a member of several professional societies, including the American College of Physicians, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the Texas Medical Foundation.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in hematology and oncology, Dr. Hughes joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1998 as an Assistant Professor.
Dr. Hughes is the Chief of the Medical Hematology/Oncology Service and an attending physician on the sold-tumor service team at William P. Clements University Hospital.
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (1985)
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center (1986), Internal Medicine
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center (1989), Internal Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1994), Hematology Oncology
- A phase II study of concurrent chemoradiation with weekly docetaxel, carboplatin, and radiation therapy followed by consolidation chemotherapy with docetaxel and carboplatin for locally advanced inoperable non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Jain AK, Hughes RS, Sandler AB, Dowlati A, Schwartzberg LS, Dobbs T, Schlabach L, Wu J, Muldowney NJ, Choy H J Thorac Oncol 2009 Jun 4 6 722-7
- Round pneumonia mimicking pulmonary malignancy on F-18 FDG PET/CT.
- Shie P, Farukhi I, Hughes RS, Oz OK Clin Nucl Med 2007 Jan 32 1 55-6
- Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
- R. Hughes American Journal of Medical Sciences 2005 329 29
- The Role of Chemotherapy in Head and Neck cancer
- R. Hughes, E. Frenkel American Journal of Clinical Oncology 1997 20 449
- American Society of Clinical Oncology