Jef De Brabander, Ph.D.
Endowed Title Julie and Louis Beecherl Jr. Chair in Medical Science
Department Biochemistry | Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
Graduate Programs Organic Chemistry
Jef K. De Brabander is a native of Belgium, where he pursued his undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Gent. Following postdoctoral studies with the late Wolfgang Oppolzer at the University of Geneva and Paul Wender at Stanford University, he began his independent career as a junior faculty member at the University of Geneva.
After one year, he was recruited to UT Southwestern , where he was promoted to full Professor in 2007. Jef De Brabander was an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow from 2001-2003, and serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of Reata Pharmaceuticals, a company he co-founded.
- Graduate School
- Universiteit Gent (1993), Chemistry
- Integration of molecular pharmacology and biochemistry
- Synthesis of complex, naturally occurring, molecular architectures
- Total Synthesis and Structure Revision of the Marine Metabolite Palmerolide A
- X. Jiang, B. Liu, S. Lebreton, J. K. De Brabander Journal of the American Chemical Society 2007 129 6386-6387
- A Small Molecule Smac Mimic Potentiates TRAIL- and TNFa-Mediated Cell Death.
- Lin Li, Ranny Mathew Thomas, Hidetaka Suzuki, Jef K. De Brabander, Xiaodong Wang, Patrick G. Harran Science September 2004 305 1471-1474
- Salicylihalamide A inhibits the V0 sector of the V-ATPase through a mechanism distinct from bafilomycin A1.
- ? Xie X-S, Padron-Perez D, Liao X, Wang J, Roth MG, De Brabander JK J. Biol. Chem. 2004 279 19755-19763
- Total Synthesis and Absolute Configuration of the Novel Microtubule Stabilizing Agent Peloruside A
- Liao X, Wu Y, De Brabander JK Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2003 42 1648-1652
- Total Synthesis and Initial StructureFunction Analysis of the potent V-ATPase Inhibitors Salicylihalamide A and Related Compounds
- Wu Y, Liao X, Wang R, Xie X-S, De Brabander JK J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002 124 3245-3253
- Au(I)- and Pt(II)-Catalyzed Cycloetherification of Omega-Hydroxy Propargylic Esters
- J. K. De Brabander, B. Liu, M. Qian Organic Letters 2008 10 2533-2536
- Synthesis of Psymberin Analogs: Probing a Functional Correlation with the Pederin/Mycalamide Family of Natural Products.
- Jiang, X; Williams, N.; De Brabander, J. K. Org. Lett. 2007 9 227-230
- Metal-Catalyzed Regioselective Oxy-Functionalization of Internal Alkynes: An Entry into Ketones, Acetals, and Spiroketals.
- Liu, B. and De Brabander, J.K. Org. Lett. 2006 8 4907-4010
- Synthesis of Spirastrellolide A Fragments for Structure Elucidation
- Pan, Y.; De Brabander, J. K. Synlett 2006 853-856
- Synthesis and Complete Stereochemical Assignment of Psymberin / Irciniastatin A. Journal of the American Chemical Society 127, 11254-11255
- Jiang, X.; Garcia-Fortanet, J.; De Brabander, J. K. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005 127 11254-11255
Honors & Awards
- Alfred P. Sloan
Research Fellowship (2001)
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- Institute for Scientific Research in Agriculture and Industry
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society