Lona Sandon, PhD, MEd, RDN, LD, is an Associate Professor and Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Department of Clinical Nutrition, and Program Director of the Master of Clinical Nutrition Coordinated Program. In addition to directing the program, Dr. Sandon teaches courses in sports nutrition, energy metabolism, dietary and anthropometric assessment, nutrition therapy of hypertension, nutrition communications in the media, and more. She is also a co-investigator on nutrition related clinical trials for hypertension and kidney stone formation.
Dr. Sandon was recently elected for a three-year term as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) House of Delegates Director, 2021-2024. Previously, Dr. Sandon served as the West-Central Regional Director of the Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors for the Academy 2018-2020, House of Delegates representative from 2011 to 2017 and a national media spokesperson for the Academy from 2003 to 2012.
Dr. Sandon received the 2017 University of Texas Regent's Outstanding Teaching Award, 2017 UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers, Outstanding Teacher Award, and 2017 Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award from the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors practice group of the Academy. Dr. Sandon was named the 2005 Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year by the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (TAND) and received the 2006 Dallas Dietetic Association Excellence in Media Award and the 2007 Excellence in Media Award from the TAND.
Dr. Sandon holds a Doctorate of Philosophy in Health Education Studies with an emphasis in higher education and wellness programming from Texas Woman's University, Masters of Education in Education Technology from the University of Texas, Brownsville and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Minnesota. She completed a one-year dietetic internship at the University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics.
Dr. Sandon has a personal and professional interest in wellness, sports nutrition, exercise, and autoimmune inflammatory conditions. She is a certified fitness instructor by the American Council on Exercise and a Level III YogaFit instructor. She has over 25 years experience in leading fitness and wellness classes.
She is frequently contacted to speak for local and national conferences on a variety of nutrition topics including sports nutrition, nutrition for autoimmune conditions, malnutrition in aging, and disease prevention to name a few.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Minnesota Medical School (1995), Clinical Dietetics
- Graduate School
- University of Texas - Brownsville (2002)
- Impact of nutritional components of foods on hypertension
- Impact of weight loss on risk of uric acid kidney stone formation
- Intensive lifestyle and behavioral counseling for overweight and obesity
- Lifestyle behavioral interventions in the work place and communities for decreasing chronic disease risk factors.
- Nutrient intake and sports performance
- Nutrition therapies for autoimmune and inflammatory conditions
- Role of nutrition and exercise in health promotion, disease prevention
- Use of education technology for improving learning retention and engagement.
- Infant feeding practices and dietary consumption of US infants and toddlers: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2012.
- Davis KE, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Sandon L Public Health Nutr 2017 Nov 1-10
- Orthorexia Nervosa and Eating Disorder Symptoms in Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in the United States.
- Tremelling K, Sandon L, Vega GL, McAdams CJ J Acad Nutr Diet 2017 Jun
- Evaluation of a Shelter-Based Diet and Physical Activity Intervention for Homeless Adults.
- Kendzor DE, Allicock M, Businelle MS, Sandon LF, Gabriel KP, Frank SG J Phys Act Health 2016 Oct 1-28
- Pilot study: Effect of a worksite weight-loss intervention and social influence on self-efficacy and self-regulation for eating and exercise
- Lona Sandon, PhD, RDN 2016
- Inflammation, Diet, and Cancer
- Lona Sandon, MEd, RDN Lisa Blackman, MCN, MS, RDN Oncology Nutrition Connection 2012 20 4 10-15
- Sports Nutrition for an Adult Female Endurance Athlete
- Lona Sandon, PhD, RDN Albert Einstein College of Medicine Cyber Rounds January 2011 http://www.cyberounds.com/cmecontent/art485.html
- A System for Designing Effective Online Education
- Lona Sandon, M.Ed., R.D. Journal of The American Dietetic Association August 2007 Issue 8/Volume 107 1305-1360
Computerized food and nutrition analysis systems. In Nutrition Assessment: Clinical and Research Applications
Lona Sandon (2019). Burlington, MA, Jones and Bartlett Learning
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Dietetics Educator
Awarded by the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (2017)
- University of Texas System Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award
- UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers, Outstanding Teacher Award
- Graduate Student Poster Award
Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists dietetics practice group poster awards presented at the annual SCAN Symposium. (2016)
- Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists Dietetics Practice Group Graduate Student Award
$2,500 award to support graduate research (2015)
- Innovator in Practice and Education
This award recognizes registered dietitians who are using innovative teaching methods in education of future dietetics practitioners. (2010)
- Excellence in Media Award Texas Dietetic Association
This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to improving the publics knowledge of nutrition through the use of media. (2007)
- Excellence in Media Award Dallas Dietetic Association
This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to assisting the media in providing sound scientific information to the public. Awarded by the Dallas Dietetic Association. (2006)
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
This award recognizes achievements of young dietitians in the state of Texas. (2005)
- Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (2017)
- Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors (2016)
- Nutrition Educators of Health Professionals (2003)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)
- American Council on Exercise (1997)
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists, Dietetics Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)
- Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (1997)