Gary Lemack, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Urology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and is the holder of the Rose Mary Haggar Professorship. He and has a secondary appointment in the Department of Neurology. He is board certified in Urology and Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. He has been the Residency Program Director in the Department of Urology since 2004 and is the past Program Director for the Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship.
His clinical specialties include urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, overactive bladder, and voiding dysfunction in the setting of neurologic disease. In particular, he cares for patients with bladder conditions stemming from spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, and movement disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease. He performs complex urinary diversions for patients with severe bladder disorders due to congenital and advanced neurological diseases.
Dr. Lemack earned his medical degree from Cornell University and performed his residency at The New York Hospital. His fellowship training at UT Southwestern focused on incontinence, urodynamics, and neurourology. Dr. Lemack has been a faculty member at UT Southwestern since 1999.
He is also active in research. His clinical research has focused on the use of urodynamic studies in patients with lower urinary tract dysfunction/incontinence, and on establishing best urological practices in the care of patients with multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and other neurological conditions.
Texas Monthly has honored Dr. Lemack with its Super Doctor award, and D Magazine has named him a Best Doctor on multiple occasions.
Dr. Lemack is the Past President of the Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction (SUFU) – the primary urology subspecialty organization devoted to the conditions affecting the pelvic floor, such as incontinence and prolapse – where he has been on the Executive Committee since 2005. He has earned both the Paul Zimskind and Distinguished Service awards from SUFU, two of the highest honors that the Society bestows. He has been on the Board of the South Central Section of the American Urological Association, and is a former member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Urology. He is one of 12 Trustees of the American Board of Urology and currently serves at the Chair of the Oral Examination Committee for the Board.
Dr. Lemack has authored two guidelines from the American Urological Association (Urodynamics and Stress Urinary Incontinence) and served as the lone American representative on The European Association of Urology Incontinence Guidelines. He has authored over 160 original articles and over 25 book chapters. He has been Visiting Professor at 25 locations throughout the United States, South and Central America and Australia.
- Medical School
- Weill Cornell Medical College (1991)
- New York Hospital (1993), General Surgery
- New York Hospital (1997), Urology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1999), Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
- Bladder dysfunction related to spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis-experimental models
- Bladder outlet obstruction in women
- Outcome measures for urinary incontinence
- Urodynamics in assessing bladder function
- Highlights of the Urethral Dysfunction Sessions at the Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology
- Lee U., Schaefer W., Lemack G.E., Wein A.J., Daneshgari F. Current Bladder Dysfunction Reports 2007 2 71-76
- Use of urodynamics prior to surgery for urinary incontinence: how helpful is preoperative testing?
- Lemack G.E. Indian Journal of Urology 2007 23 142-147
- Burch colposuspension versus fascial sling to reduce urinary stress incontinence
- Albo M., Richter H.E., Brubaker L., Norton P., Kraus S.R., Zimmern P.E., Chai T.C., Zyczynski H., Diokno A.C., Tennstedt S., Nager C., lloyd L.K., Fitzgerald M., Lemack, G.E., Johnson H.W., Leng W., Mallett V., Stoddard A.M., Menefee S., Varner R.E., Kenton K., Moalli P., Sirls L., Dandreo K.J., Kusek J.W., Nyberg L.m., Steers W., for the Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network New England Journal Medicine 2007 356 2143-2155
- The relationships among measures of incontinence severity in women undergoing surgery for stress urinary incontinence
- Albo M., Wruck L., Baker J., Brubaker L., Chai T., Dandreo K.J., Diokno A., Goode P., Kraus S., Kusek J.W., Lemack G., Lowder J., Steers W. Journal of Urology 2007 177 1810-4
- The reproducibility of urodynamic findings in healthy female volunteers: results of repeated studies in the same setting and a short-term follow-up
- Gupta , A., Defreitas, G., Lemack, G.E. Neurourology and Urodynamics 2004 23 311-316
- Urodynamic assessment of patients with stress incontinence: how effective are urethral pressure profilometry and abdominal leak point pressure at case selection and predicting outcome?
- Lemack, G.E. Current Opinion in Urology 2004 14 307-311
- Distinguishing neurogenic from non-neurogenic detrusor overactivity: a urodynamic assessment of lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with and without Parkinson’s disease
- Defreitas G.A., Lemack G.E., Zimmern P.E. Dewey R.B., Roehrborn C.G., O’Suilleaghain P.E. Urology 2003 62 651-655
- Treatment of intrinsic sphincteric deficiency
- Wilson, T.S., Lemack, G.E., Zimmern, P.E. Urology 2003 169 1662-1669
- Urodynamic studies in asymptomatic women: Intra-test and Inter-test reproducibility.
- Lemack, G.E., Baseman, A.G., Zimmern P.E. Journal of Urology 2001 165 1225
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster
"Novel Imaging and Urodynamics for Assessing Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis AUA (2017-2017)
- Paul M. Zimskind Award
for continuing excellence and leadership in the field of voiding dysfunction, awarded by the Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (2011-2011)
- Best Poster
Assessing Urological Needs in Eastern Africa: Founding a Partnership with AMREF, AUA (2009-2009)
- Distinguished Service Award
for outstanding contributions to Urodynamics, Female Urology, and Voiding Dysfunction and exemplary service to the society, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2009-2009)
- Outstanding Reviewer of the Year
Urodynamics/Female Urology/Incontinence, Journal of Urology (2008-2008)
- Honorable Mention for Top Reviewer
Urodynamics/Female Urology/Incontinence, Journal of Urology (2007-2007)
- Top 10 Reviewer
Neurourology and Urodynamics (2007-2008)
- Examination Committee, American Board of Urology
- Holder of Rose Mary Haggar Professorship
- Named to Best Doctors in Dallas 2006, 2012, 2014, 2017 by peers in D Magazine
- Residency Program Director
UT Southwestern Urology Residency Program
- UT Southwestern Mobility Foundation Grant
Awarded for research in spinal cord injury, 2000-2002
- Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction (1999)
- American Urological Association (1995)
- International Continence Society
- South Central Section of American Urological Association (AUA)
- Texas Medical Association