Gary Lemack, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Urology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and is the holder of the Rose Mary Haggar Professorship. He and has a secondary appointment in the Department of Neurology. He is board certified in Urology and Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. He has been the Residency Program Director in the Department of Urology since 2004 and is the past Program Director for the Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship.
His clinical specialties include urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, overactive bladder, and voiding dysfunction in the setting of neurologic disease. In particular, he cares for patients with bladder conditions stemming from spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, and movement disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease. He performs complex urinary diversions for patients with severe bladder disorders due to congenital and advanced neurological diseases.
Dr. Lemack earned his medical degree from Cornell University and performed his residency at The New York Hospital. His fellowship training at UT Southwestern focused on incontinence, urodynamics, and neurourology. Dr. Lemack has been a faculty member at UT Southwestern since 1999.
He is also active in research. His clinical research has focused on the use of urodynamic studies in patients with lower urinary tract dysfunction/incontinence, and on establishing best urological practices in the care of patients with multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and other neurological conditions.
Texas Monthly has honored Dr. Lemack with its Super Doctor award, and D Magazine has named him a Best Doctor on multiple occasions.
Dr. Lemack is the Past President of the Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction (SUFU) – the primary urology subspecialty organization devoted to the conditions affecting the pelvic floor, such as incontinence and prolapse – where he has been on the Executive Committee since 2005. He has earned both the Paul Zimskind and Distinguished Service awards from SUFU, two of the highest honors that the Society bestows. He has been on the Board of the South Central Section of the American Urological Association, and is a former member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Urology. He is one of 12 Trustees of the American Board of Urology and currently serves at the Chair of the Oral Examination Committee for the Board.
Dr. Lemack has authored two guidelines from the American Urological Association (Urodynamics and Stress Urinary Incontinence) and served as the lone American representative on The European Association of Urology Incontinence Guidelines. He has authored over 160 original articles and over 25 book chapters. He has been Visiting Professor at 25 locations throughout the United States, South and Central America and Australia.
- Medical School
- Weill Cornell Medical College (1991)
- New York Hospital (1993), General Surgery
- New York Hospital (1997), Urology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1999), Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
- Bladder dysfunction related to spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis-experimental models
- Bladder outlet obstruction in women
- Outcome measures for urinary incontinence
- Urodynamics in assessing bladder function
- Prospective Evaluation of Urodynamic Utility in a Subspecialty Tertiary Practice.
- Malik RD, Hess DS, Carmel ME, Lemack GE, Zimmern PE Urology 2019 Jan
- Assessment of renal deterioration and associated risk factors in patients with multiple sclerosis.
- Shakir NA, Satyanarayan A, Eastman J, Greenberg BM, Lemack GE Urology 2018 Sep
- Long-term results of transurethral endoscopic excision using the holmium laser for urethral perforation of synthetic slings.
- Wang C, Zimmern PE, Lemack G Low Urin Tract Symptoms 2018 Jun
- Urethrography for Assessment of the Adult Male Urethra: RadioGraphics Fundamentals | Online Presentation.
- Flanagan JC, Batz R, Nordeck SM, Lemack GE, Brewington C Radiographics 2018 May-Jun 38 3 831-832
- The history of the Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction.
- Weissbart SJ, Zimmern PE, Nitti VW, Lemack GE, Kobashi KC, Vasavada SP, Wein AJ Neurourol. Urodyn. 2018 Mar
- Current and future international patterns of care of neurogenic bladder after spinal cord injury.
- Gomelsky A, Lemack GE, Castano Botero JC, Lee RK, Myers JB, Granitsiotis P, Dmochowski RR World J Urol 2018 Mar
- EAU Guidelines on Assessment and Nonsurgical Management of Urinary Incontinence.
- Nambiar AK, Bosch R, Cruz F, Lemack GE, Thiruchelvam N, Tubaro A, Bedretdinova DA, Ambühl D, Farag F, Lombardo R, Schneider MP, Burkhard FC Eur. Urol. 2018 Feb
- Challenges of multidimensional outcome reporting after suburethral midurethral sling removal.
- Shakir NA, Wang C, Singla N, Alhalabi F, Christie A, Lemack GE, Zimmern PE J. Urol. 2018 Jan
- Surgical Treatment of Female Stress Urinary Incontinence: AUA/SUFU Guideline.
- Kobashi KC, Albo ME, Dmochowski RR, Ginsberg DA, Goldman HB, Gomelsky A, Kraus SR, Sandhu JS, Shepler T, Treadwell JR, Vasavada S, Lemack GE J. Urol. 2017 Jun
- Incontinence: Helping women stay in control
- Lemack G.E. Cortland Forum January 2007 53-54
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster
"Novel Imaging and Urodynamics for Assessing Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis AUA (2017-2017)
- Paul M. Zimskind Award
for continuing excellence and leadership in the field of voiding dysfunction, awarded by the Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology (2011-2011)
- Best Poster
Assessing Urological Needs in Eastern Africa: Founding a Partnership with AMREF, AUA (2009-2009)
- Distinguished Service Award
for outstanding contributions to Urodynamics, Female Urology, and Voiding Dysfunction and exemplary service to the society, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (2009-2009)
- Outstanding Reviewer of the Year
Urodynamics/Female Urology/Incontinence, Journal of Urology (2008-2008)
- Honorable Mention for Top Reviewer
Urodynamics/Female Urology/Incontinence, Journal of Urology (2007-2007)
- Top 10 Reviewer
Neurourology and Urodynamics (2007-2008)
- Examination Committee, American Board of Urology
- Holder of Rose Mary Haggar Professorship
- Named to Best Doctors in Dallas 2006, 2012, 2014, 2017 by peers in D Magazine
- Residency Program Director
UT Southwestern Urology Residency Program
- UT Southwestern Mobility Foundation Grant
Awarded for research in spinal cord injury, 2000-2002
- Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction (1999)
- American Urological Association (1995)
- International Continence Society
- South Central Section of American Urological Association (AUA)
- Texas Medical Association