Jeffrey Elliott, M.D.
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Jeffrey L. Elliott, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in neuromuscular disorders.
Dr. Elliott earned his medical degree at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He completed a residency in neurology at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and received advanced training through a neuromuscular disease fellowship at Washington University Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1997.
Dr. Elliott is head of the neuromuscular section of the neuromuscular division in the Department of Neurology and is Director of the MDA/ALS Clinic at UT Southwestern. He’s a member of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Neurological Association, and the American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine. In 2018, he earned the Trephined Cranium Award for Excellence in Neurology Teaching.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (1988)
- Jewish Hospital of St. Louis (1989), Internal Medicine
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital (1992), Neurology
- Washington University in St. Louis (1994), Neuromuscular Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Energetics
- A novel heterozygous mutation in the C-terminal region of HSPB8 leads to limb-girdle rimmed vacuolar myopathy.
- Nicolau S, Liewluck T, Elliott JL, Engel AG, Milone M, Neuromuscul. Disord. 2020 Feb
- Gradually Progressive Spastic Ataxia in a Young Man: Steadily Unsteady.
- Dubey D, Khemani P, Remster E, Elliott JL JAMA Neurol 2016 Dec
- Copper delivery to the CNS by CuATSM effectively treats motor neuron disease in SOD(G93A) mice co-expressing the copper-chaperone-for-SOD.
- Williams JR, Trias E, Beilby PR, Lopez NI, Labut EM, Samuel Bradford C, Roberts BR, McAllum EJ, Crouch PJ, Rhoads TW, Pereira C, Son M, Elliott JL, Franco MC, Estévez AG, Barbeito L, Beckman JS Neurobiol. Dis. 2016 Jan
- The RNA Binding Protein TDP-43 Selectively Disrupts MicroRNA-1/206 Incorporation into the RNA-Induced Silencing Complex.
- King I, Yartseva V, Salas D, Kumar A, Heidersbach A, Ando DM, Stallings NR, Elliott JL, Srivastava D, Ivey KN J. Biol. Chem. 2014 Apr
- Mitochondrial defects in transgenic mice expressing Cu,Zn superoxide dismutase mutations, the role of copper chaperone for SOD1.
- Son M, Elliott JL J. Neurol. Sci. 2014 Jan 336 1-2 1-7
- TDP-43, an ALS linked protein, regulates fat deposition and glucose homeostasis.
- Stallings NR, Puttaparthi K, Dowling KJ, Luther CM, Burns DK, Davis K, Elliott JL PLoS ONE 2013 8 8 e71793
- Biochemical properties and in vivo effects of the SOD1 zinc-binding site mutant (H80G).
- Son M, Srikanth U, Puttaparthi K, Luther C, Elliott JL Journal of neurochemistry 2011 Jun 891-901
- Huntington chorea presenting with motor neuron disease.
- Sadeghian H, O'Suilleabhain PE, Battiste J, Elliott JL, Trivedi JR Arch. Neurol. 2011 May 68 5 650-2
- Progressive motor weakness in transgenic mice expressing human TDP-43.
- Stallings NR, Puttaparthi K, Luther CM, Burns DK, Elliott JL Neurobiol. Dis. 2010 Nov 40 2 404-14
- Deep brain stimulation artifact in needle electromyography.
- Sadeghian H, Chitnis S, Elliott JL Arch. Neurol. 2010 Aug 67 8 1030
A 63 year old man with nausea, vomiting and orthostatic dizziness and distal limb paresthesia. In A case based guide to Neuromuscular Pathology
Elliott JL, Zhou L, Cai C, Kaku M (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Trephined Cranium Award for Excellence in Neurology Teaching
Awarded for recognition for excellence in Neurology teaching by neurology residents (2018-2019)
- President Research Council Distinguished Young Researcher Award
- American Neurological Association (2005-2020)
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine