Sally Goudreau, M.D.
Director, Breast Imaging Fellowship Program
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Sally Hayward Goudreau, M.D., FACR, FSBI, is a Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Breast Imaging Division. She also serves as Director of the Breast Imaging Fellowship program. Her clinical interests include early detection of breast cancer through the screening and diagnosis of breast abnormalities using innovative technology.
I am honored to be a member of the Radiology faculty and play a role in the education and mentoring of future generations of physicians.
Dr. Goudreau holds a bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering from Texas A&M University. She earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern and completed her residency training in diagnostic radiology at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. She remained at the University of Iowa to receive advanced fellowship training in breast imaging, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, and computed tomography (CT).
Leadership and service
Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2008, Dr. Goudreau served as an Assistant Professor of Radiology at the University of Cincinnati's Barrett Breast Center, and then at the University of Colorado Health Science Center in Denver, where she was the Medical Director of Breast Imaging and the Director of the Women's Imaging Fellowship program.
She relocated to Dallas from Denver in 1997, where she developed the breast imaging section at Southwest Diagnostic Imaging Center and served as the Medical Director of Breast Imaging. During this time, she also became Medical Director of Breast Imaging for the Women's Diagnostic and Breast Center at Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, where she guided a major renovation.
Dr. Goudreau serves on numerous UT Southwestern and departmental committees. She has a strong commitment to medical student and resident education, demonstrated by her work as a Medical Student and Resident Ambassador and service on the UT Southwestern Medical School Admissions Committee.
She is a member of numerous local and national professional societies, including the American College of Radiology, American Medical Association, American Roentgen Ray Society, the Society of Breast Imaging, the Texas Medical Association, and the Texas Radiological Society. She is also a founding member of the Society for the Advancement of Women's Imaging, a Fellow of the American College of Radiology, and a Fellow of the Society of Breast Imaging.
Dr. Goudreau's research interests include developing new technologies and techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. Her research enriches her clinical practice, and her work has been published in a number of peer-reviewed journals.
A commitment to volunteering and philanthropy
Dr. Goudreau is an active participant in the Texas A&M Association of Former Students, for which she serves as a Representative at Large on the Leadership Council, with a particular interest in mentoring and counseling premedical students. Together with her husband, Jeff Goudreau, M.D., FACP, she has also volunteered as a physician and provides support to the U.S. Women's National Water Polo Team. They have traveled with the team nationally, as well as internationally to China, Brazil, and Hungary.
The Goudreaus have a passion for supporting higher education through endowed scholarships at Texas A&M University, Baylor University, and Notre Dame University, where a portion of their donations funds documentary film-making pertaining to breast cancer.
The Goudreaus enjoy life together as empty nesters. When Dr. Goudreau and her husband are not traveling, they can be found biking all over Dallas, swimming, growing their own vegetables and flowers, and enjoying the opera.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1988)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1992), Diagnostic Radiology
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1993), Breast Imaging
- Bleeding Complications After Breast Core-needle Biopsy?An Approach to Managing Patients on Antithrombotic Therapy
- Sally Goudreau, MD, FACR, FSBI, Lars J Grimm, MD, MHS, FSBI, Ashmitha Srinivasan, MD, MBA, Jose Net, MD, Roger Yang, MD, FACR, Vandana Dialani, MD, FSBI, Katerina Dodelzon, MD, FSBI Journal of Breast Imaging 2022 May 4 3 241-252
- The Global Reading Room: Managing a Benign Papilloma.
- Freitas V, Goudreau S, Leong LCH, Sharma N, AJR Am J Roentgenol 2022 04 218 4 758-759
- Preliminary Results of Multi-Institutional Phase I Dose Escalation Trial Using Single Fraction Stereotactic Partial Breast Irradiation for Early Stage Breast Cancer: Dose Escalated Single Fraction Stereotactic PBI.
- Rahimi A, Simmons A, Kim DN, Leitch M, Haas J, Gu X, Ahn C, Gao A, Spangler A, Morgan HE, Goudreau S, Seiler S, Farr D, Wooldridge R, Haley B, Bahrami S, Neufeld S, Mendez C, Alluri P, Rao R, Timmerman RD, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Oct
- Breast MRI during Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy: Lack of Background Parenchymal Enhancement Suppression and Inferior Treatment Response.
- Onishi N, Li W, Newitt DC, Harnish RJ, Strand F, Nguyen AA, Arasu VA, Gibbs J, Jones EF, Wilmes LJ, Kornak J, Joe BN, Price ER, Ojeda-Fournier H, Eghtedari M, Zamora KW, Woodard S, Umphrey HR, Nelson MT, Church AL, Bolan PJ, Kuritza T, Ward K, Morley K, Wolverton D, Fountain K, Lopez Paniagua D, Hardesty L, Brandt KR, McDonald ES, Rosen M, Kontos D, Abe H, Sheth D, Crane E, Dillis C, Sheth P, Hovanessian-Larsen L, Bang DH, Porter B, Oh KY, Jafarian N, Tudorica LA, Niell B, Drukteinis J, Newell MS, Giurescu ME, Berman E, Lehman CD, Partridge SC, Fitzpatrick KA, Borders MH, Yang WT, Dogan B, Goudreau SH, Chenevert T, Yau C, DeMichele A, Berry DA, Esserman LJ, Hylton NM, Radiology 2021 Aug 203645
- Editorial Comment: Preoperative Radiofrequency Tag Localization of Breast Lesions Is a Safe and Reliable Localization Alternative.
- Goudreau SH, AJR Am J Roentgenol 2021 Jul 8
- Multimodality Review of Imaging Features Following Breast Reduction Surgery.
- Goudreau SH, Woughter MA, Seiler SJ, Eur J Breast Health 2021 Jul 17 3 206-213
- Cosmetic outcomes of a phase I dose escalation study of 5-fraction stereotactic partial breast irradiation for early stage breast cancer.
- Rahimi A, Morgan HE, Kim DW, Zhang Y, Leitch M, Wooldridge R, Goudreau S, Haley B, Rao R, Rivers A, Spangler AE, Jones RT, Stevenson S, Staley J, Albuquerque K, Ahn C, Neufeld S, Alluri PG, Ding C, Garwood D, Seiler S, Zhao B, Gu X, Timmerman R, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Jan
- Cures Act: Breast Biopsy Recommendations for Patients
- Goudreau S, Kacharia V, Dialani V, Milch H, Daly C, Grimm, L. Society of Breast Imaging Patient Care & Delivery Committee Release 2021
- Multi-Institutional Trial of Phase I Dose Escalation Using Single Fraction Stereotactic Partial Breast Irradiation (S-PBI) for Early Stage Breast Cancer
- Rahimi A, Kim DN, Leitch M, Ahn C, Haas JA, Spangler A, Goudreau S, Seiler S, Farr D, Wooldridge R, Haley B, Bahrami S, Hardee S, Alluri PG, Rao R, Timmerman RD Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2020 Nov
- Predicting breast cancer response to neoadjuvant treatment using multi-feature MRI: results from the I-SPY 2 TRIAL.
- Li W, Newitt DC, Gibbs J, Wilmes LJ, Jones EF, Arasu VA, Strand F, Onishi N, Nguyen AA, Kornak J, Joe BN, Price ER, Ojeda-Fournier H, Eghtedari M, Zamora KW, Woodard SA, Umphrey H, Bernreuter W, Nelson M, Church AL, Bolan P, Kuritza T, Ward K, Morley K, Wolverton D, Fountain K, Lopez-Paniagua D, Hardesty L, Brandt K, McDonald ES, Rosen M, Kontos D, Abe H, Sheth D, Crane EP, Dillis C, Sheth P, Hovanessian-Larsen L, Bang DH, Porter B, Oh KY, Jafarian N, Tudorica A, Niell BL, Drukteinis J, Newell MS, Cohen MA, Giurescu M, Berman E, Lehman C, Partridge SC, Fitzpatrick KA, Borders MH, Yang WT, Dogan B, Goudreau S, Chenevert T, Yau C, DeMichele A, Berry D, Esserman LJ, Hylton NM, NPJ Breast Cancer 2020 Nov 6 1 63
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Society of Breast Imaging
- Fellow, American College of Radiology
- Program Director, UT Southwestern Breast Imaging Fellowship
- Medical Director of Breast Imaging - Women's Diagnostic and Breast Center Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas
- Medical Director of Breast Imaging - Southwest Diagnostic Imaging Center, Dallas
- Medical Director of Breast Imaging - Denver General Hospital
- Outstanding Resident Research Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Society of Breast Imaging (1995)
- Society for the Advancement of Women’s Imaging (1993)
- American College of Radiology (1992)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (1992)
- American Medical Association (1988)
- Radiological Society of North America (1988)