Jennifer T. Wells, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. She specializes in Transplant Hepatology.
Dr. Wells holds a bachelor's degree in biology from Baylor University in Waco. She earned her medical degree at Texas Tech University in Lubbock. She completed Internal Medicine residency at the University of Wisconsin in Madison where she also completed 2 fellowships in Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology, Dr. Wells joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2023.
Dr Wells is passionate about all types of liver disease and welcomes a challenge. She enjoys parterning with patients to care for and educate them regarding their liver process. While the prevention of significant liver disease is the goal, she enjoys the opportunity to utilize new and innovative treatments for those with advanced liver disease.
Dr Wells is working to develop a system for earlier detection of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and to improve management and treatment pathways for the veterans. She is also implementing a multi-disciplinary approach to stream-line the approach between specialites in treating alcohol use disorder in the context of liver disease.
- Real-world observational experience with direct-acting antivirals for hepatitis C: baseline resistance, efficacy, and need for long-term surveillance.
- Loo N, Hanysak B, Mann J, Ramirez R, Kim J, Mitchell R, Van Frank T, Guerrero R, Hinojosa K, Christensen K, Pedicone LD, Alkhouri N, Wells J, Landaverde C, Rodas F, Lawitz E, Poordad F, Medicine (Baltimore) 2019 Jun 98 26 e16254
- Ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir + dasabuvir +/- ribavirin in real world hepatitis C patients.
- Loo N, Lawitz E, Alkhouri N, Wells J, Landaverde C, Coste A, Salcido R, Scott M, Poordad F, World J Gastroenterol 2019 May 25 18 2229-2239
- Sofosbuvir-velpatasvir-voxilaprevir with or without ribavirin in DAA-experienced patients with genotype 1 HCV.
- Lawitz E, Poordad F, Wells J, Hyland RH, Yang Y, Dvory-Sobol H, Stamm LM, Brainard DM, McHutchison JG, Landaverde C, Gutierrez J Hepatology 2017 Feb
- Short-duration Treatment With Elbasvir/Grazoprevir and Sofosbuvir for Hepatitis C: A Randomized Trial.
- Lawitz E, Poordad F, Gutierrez JA, Wells JT, Landaverde CE, Evans B, Howe A, Huang HC, Li JJ, Hwang P, Dutko FJ, Robertson M, Wahl J, Barr E, Haber B Hepatology 2016 Oct
- Lorcaserin Use in the Management of Morbid Obesity in a Pre-Liver Transplant Patient.
- Gutierrez JA, Landaverde C, Wells JT, Poordad F Hepatology 2016 Jul 64 1 301-2
- Dual therapy of grazoprevir and elbasvir for the treatment of hepatitis C infection.
- Landaverde C, Wells J, Hamner R, Goldstein JL Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016 Jan
- Treatment of patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 3: Where are we now?
- Landaverde C, Wells JT, Gutierrez J, Poordad F, Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken) 2015 Oct 6 4 79-81
- Management of patients with hepatitis C virus resistance-associated variants to NS5A inhibitors: Where are we now?
- Wells JT, Landaverde C, Gutierrez J, Lawitz E, Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken) 2015 Oct 6 4 82-85
- Management of hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Said A, Wells J, Minerva Med 2009 Feb 100 1 51-68
- Portopulmonary hypertension.
- Wells JT, Runo JR, Lucey MR, Hepatology 2008 Jul 48 1 13-5
Chronic Liver Disease. In Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Control, Third Edition
Said, A, Wells JT (2010). Washington, D.C. : American Public Health Association
Transplant Medicine. Online appendix. In Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine 7th Edition
Lucey, M and Wells, JT (2009). Elsevier
Chapter 88: Alcoholic Liver Diseases. In Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2nd Edition
Wells, JT and Lucey, M (2012). Wiley-Blackwell
Chapter 30: Liver Disease in Renal Transplant Patients.. In Kidney Transplantation: Principles and Practices. 6th Edition.
Said A, Safdar N, Wells JT, Lucey MR (2008).
Hepatitis B. In Sleisenger and Fortran: 10th Edition
Wells, JT and Perrillo, R (2015). Saunders/Elsevier
- AASLD (2005)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2023)
- Texas Club of Internists (2013)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)