Samantha Greenberg is the founding program director of the UT Southwestern Genetic Counseling Training Program. She received her Master of Science degree in genetic counseling and public health from the University of Michigan after teaching middle school science with Teach For America in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She previously served on the faculty at the University of Utah Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling, where she taught cancer genetics courses, directed clinical fieldwork rotations, and chaired research for genetic counseling graduate students.
As a cancer genetic counselor, Greenberg has provided clinical care across a variety of indications and facilitated the development of multidisciplinary teams and genetics clinics for patients with prostate cancer, von Hippel-Lindau syndrome, and paraganglioma/pheochromocytoma. Her research focuses on access to genetic testing and outcomes, including prostate cancer and paraganglioma/pheochromocytoma. Greenberg is pursuing a Ph.D. at the University of Utah College of Nursing.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2011)
- Graduate School
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2016), Genetic Counseling
- Graduate School
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2016), Public Health
- Access to genetic services
- Genetic Counseling Education
- Paraganglioma genetics
- Prostate cancer genetics
- A need to tailor surveillance based on family history: describing a highly penetrant familial paraganglioma kindred with an SDHD pathogenic variant.
- Foley M, Sharma A, Garfield K, Maese L, Buchmann L, Boyle J, Kohlmann W, Jeter J, Greenberg S, Fam Cancer 2023 Apr 22 2 217-224
- Initial outcomes and insights from a novel high-risk prostate cancer screening clinic.
- Harper JB, Greenberg SE, Hunt TC, Cooney KA, O'Neil BB, Prostate 2023 Feb 83 2 151-157
- Paraganglioma and other tumour detection rates in individuals with SDHx pathogenic variants by age of diagnosis and after the age of 50.
- Greenberg SE, Holman R, Kohlmann W, Buchmann L, Naumer A, Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2021 Sep 95 3 447-452
- Implementing innovative service delivery models in genetic counseling: a qualitative analysis of facilitators and barriers.
- Khan A, Cohen S, Weir C, Greenberg S, J Genet Couns 2021 Feb 30 1 319-328
- Clinical Germline Testing Results of Men With Prostate Cancer: Patient-Level Factors and Implications of NCCN Guideline Expansion.
- Greenberg SE, Hunt TC, Ambrose JP, Lowrance WT, Dechet CB, O'Neil BB, Tward JD, JCO Precis Oncol 2021 5
- Tumor detection rates in screening of individuals with SDHx-related hereditary paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma syndrome.
- Greenberg SE, Jacobs MF, Wachtel H, Anson A, Buchmann L, Cohen DL, Bonanni M, Bennett B, Naumer A, Schaefer AM, Kohlmann W, Nathanson KL, Else T, Fishbein L, Genet Med 2020 Dec 22 12 2101-2107
- Genetic Counseling Service Delivery Models in the United States: Assessment of changes in use from 2010 to 2017.
- Greenberg SE, Boothe E, Delaney CL, Noss R, Cohen SA, J Genet Couns 2020 Dec 29 6 1126-1141
- What men want: Qualitative analysis of what men with prostate cancer (PCa) want to learn regarding genetic referral, counseling, and testing.
- Greenberg S, Slager S, Neil BO, Cooney K, Maughan B, Stopa N, Venne V, Zickmund S, Colonna S, Prostate 2020 Apr 80 5 441-450
- Population prevalence of individuals meeting criteria for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer testing.
- Greenberg S, Buys SS, Edwards SL, Espinel W, Fraser A, Gammon A, Hafen B, Herget KA, Kohlmann W, Roundy C, Sweeney C, Cancer Med 2019 Nov 8 15 6789-6798
- The Natural History of Observed SDHx-Related Head and Neck Paragangliomas Using Three-Dimensional Volumetric Tumor Analysis.
- Tooker EL, Wiggins RH, Espahbodi M, Naumer A, Buchmann LO, Greenberg SE, Patel NS, Otol Neurotol 2023 Aug
Honors & Awards
- Journal of Urology Reviewer of the Month
- Association of Genetic Counseling Program Directors' Outstanding Supervisor Award
- University of Utah Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling Teaching Award
- University of Michigan Public Health Genetics Fellowship
- Univerisity of Michigan James V Neel Fellowship