Miguel Cano, Ph.D.
Dr. Miguel Ángel Cano is trained in counseling psychology and conducts research in social epidemiology and prevention science. His program of research concentrates on the etiology and prevention of substance misuse/disorders and poor mental health (e.g., depressive and anxiety symptomatology/disorders), and aims to understand social determinants of health and inequities affecting Hispanic communities and other socially disadvantaged/marginalized groups. His primary research interests are 1) sociocultural stressors (e.g., racial/ethnic discrimination) and coping resources in relation to substance use behavior and mental health, and 2) evidence-based prevention interventions for underserved and socially disadvantaged/marginalized populations. His research program has been supported by funding from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), and the National Institute on Aging (NIA).
Dr. Cano currently serves as a Standing Committee Member in the NIAAA study section for Epidemiology, Prevention and Behavior Research. He also serves on the editorial board of the following journals: Annals of Epidemiology, Behavioral Medicine, American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, Emerging Adulthood, Journal of Clinical Psychology, Journal of Latinx Psychology, Journal of Prevention and Health Promotion, and Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Adolescent Health
- Depression & Anxiety
- Hispanic Health
- Social Inequities & Health Disparities
- Stress & Coping
- Young Adults/Emerging Adults
- Acculturation gap conflicts and self-rated health among Hispanic emerging adults.
- Rahman A, Sánchez M, Bursac Z, Whiting CY, Taskin T, Kaur A, Leinaar E, Ahmed S, Karim N, de Dios MA, Cano MÁ, Fam Syst Health 2022 Aug
- Mental health among Latinx emerging adults: Examining the role of familial accusations of assimilation and ethnic identity.
- Thornhill CW, Castillo LG, Piña-Watson B, Manzo G, Cano MÁ, J Clin Psychol 2022 May 78 5 892-912
- Ethnic discrimination and psychological stress among Hispanic emerging adults: Examining the moderating effects of distress tolerance and optimism.
- Rahman A, Sánchez M, Bursac Z, Whiting CY, de Dios MA, Cano M, Meek R, Taskin T, Shawon MSR, Vazquez V, Koly KN, Ullrich HS, Cano MÁ, Int J Intercult Relat 2022 Jan 86 217-226
- Cultural Mistrust, Ethnic Discrimination, and Depressive Symptoms among Hispanic Emerging Adults.
- Cano MÁ, J Health Care Poor Underserved 2022 33 2 612-622
- Alcohol Use Severity among Hispanic Emerging Adults: Examining Intragroup Marginalization, Bicultural Self-Efficacy, and the Role of Gender within a Stress and Coping Framework.
- Cano MÁ, De La Rosa M, Schwartz SJ, Salas-Wright CP, Keum BTH, Lee CS, Pinedo M, Cobb CL, Field CA, Sanchez M, Castillo LG, Martinez P, Lorenzo-Blanco EI, Piña-Watson B, de Dios MA, Behav Med 2021 Nov 1-11
- Psychosocial stress, bicultural identity integration, and bicultural self-efficacy among Hispanic emerging adults.
- Cano MÁ, Marsiglia FF, Meca A, De La Rosa M, Ramírez-Ortiz D, Sánchez M, Colón Burgos JF, Alamilla SG, Wuyke G, Parras D, Ali SZ, Forney DJ, Varas-Rodríguez E, Ruvalcaba Y, Contreras A, Ahmed S, Vega-Luna B, Ochoa LG, Cuadra R, Domínguez García MJ, Stress Health 2021 Apr 37 2 392-398
- HIV testing intentions and cognitive reappraisal among Latino emerging adults.
- Ramírez-Ortiz D, Sheehan DM, Ibañez GE, Ibrahimou B, De La Rosa M, Cano MÁ, AIDS Care 2021 Apr 33 4 548-552
- Exposure to ethnic discrimination in social media and symptoms of anxiety and depression among Hispanic emerging adults: Examining the moderating role of gender.
- Cano MÁ, Schwartz SJ, MacKinnon DP, Keum BTH, Prado G, Marsiglia FF, Salas-Wright CP, Cobb CL, Garcini LM, De La Rosa M, Sánchez M, Rahman A, Acosta LM, Roncancio AM, de Dios MA, J Clin Psychol 2021 Mar 77 3 571-586
- Associations of Objective and Perceived Neighborhood Ethnic Density on Hazardous Alcohol Use among Latinx Emerging Adults.
- Westrick AC, De La Rosa MR, Sanchez M, Colón-Burgos JF, Rojas P, Cano MA, Subst Use Misuse 2021 56 3 339-344
- Alcohol use severity, depressive symptoms, and optimism among Hispanics: Examining the immigrant paradox in a serial mediation model.
- Cobb CL, Schwartz SJ, Salas-Wright CP, Pinedo M, Martinez P, Meca A, Isaza AG, Lorenzo-Blanco EI, McClure H, Marsiglia FF, Martínez CR, Cano MÁ, J Clin Psychol 2020 Dec 76 12 2329-2344
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Professional Early Career Award, National Latinx Psychological Association
- National Award of Excellence in Research by a New Investigator, National Hispanic Science Network
- Outstanding Alumni Award, Texas A&M University
- Top Scholar Award, (Office of the Provost) Florida International University