Karl Reyes, M.D.
Department Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Karl Reyes, M.D. is an Associate Professor in the UT Southwestern Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. He is also the Surgical Director of the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program and the Director of Congenital Cardiac Surgery Education Program.
After earning his degree at the University of the East College of Medicine, Dr. Reyes completed residency in general surgery at the University of the Philippines, and fellowships in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and congenital cardiac surgery at Boston Children's Hospital.
Dr. Reyes has over a decade of experience in taking care of patients with congenital heart disease of all ages. His interests include neonatal cardiac surgery, complex valvular reconstruction, diseases of the aorta, aortic valve and root, tetralogy of fallot with pulmonary atresia and adult congenital heart surgery. His research interests include studying outcomes in high risk patients undergoing complex cardiac surgery and surgical innovations.
Dr. Reyes enjoys teaching and is also a reviewer for multiple journals related to his specialty. He is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, European Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery, International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation and the World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation , Cardiovascular Surgery
- Medical School
- University of the East (1999)
- Philippine General Hospital (2000), General Surgery
- Philippine General Hospital (2005), General Surgery
- Boston Childrens Hospital (2010), Cardiovascular Surgery
- Coronary transfer for complex looping and intramural variants in the arterial switch procedure.
- Murtuza B, Morell V, Reyes K, Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2023 Jan 2023
- Complex Infantile Scimitar Variant: Primary Stenosis of a Meandering Pulmonary Vein.
- Murtuza B, Suh E, Gonzalez J, John JB, Ringewald J, Morell V, Reyes K, Ann Thorac Surg 2021 Oct 112 4 e315
- Two-patch transannular repair of tetralogy of Fallot with complete atrioventricular canal defect.
- Murtuza B, Morell V, Reyes K, Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2021 Jan 2021
- Left Atrial Appendage Aneurysm Characterized by Multimodal Imaging.
- Brenneman DJ, Pitkin AD, Gupta D, Bleiweis MS, Reyes KM, Chandran A, World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2020 Jul 11 4 NP161-NP163
- Single-stage repair of interrupted aortic arch type B with ventricular septal defect.
- Reyes K, Ahmed M, Ellebaidy Z, Amin A, Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2019 Oct 2019
- Impact of 3D Printouts in Optimizing Surgical Results for Complex Congenital Heart Disease.
- Han F, Co-Vu J, Lopez-Colon D, Forder J, Bleiweis M, Reyes K, DeGroff C, Chandran A, World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2019 Sep 10 5 533-538
- Hybrid procedure with pulsatile ventricular assist device for hypoplastic left heart syndrome awaiting transplantation.
- Philip J, Reyes K, Ebraheem M, Gupta D, Fudge JC, Bleiweis MS, J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2019 Aug 158 2 e59-e61
- Left Ventricular Aneurysm Following Blunt-Force Trauma in a Child.
- Brock MA, Co-Vu J, Bleiweis MS, Reyes K, Shih RS, CASE (Phila) 2019 Feb 3 1 39-42
- Heart Transplant in Patient With Isolated Left Superior Vena Cava by Atrial Appendage Rotation.
- Reyes KM, Gupta D, Fricker FJ, Cooke S, Bleiweis MS, Ann Thorac Surg 2018 Jun 105 6 e279-e281
- Single-stage repair of double outlet right ventricle with subpulmonic ventricular septal defect (Taussig-Bing anomaly).
- Ahmed M, Reyes K, Brock M, Bleiweis M, Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2018 Jan 2018
Spontaneous Pneumothorax. In Sabiston and Spencer Surgery of the Chest 8th Edition
Karl G. Reyes and David Mason (2010). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Spontaneous Pneumothorax. In Sabiston and Spencer Surgery of the Chest 9th Edition
Neil G. Mores, Karl G. Reyes, Siva Raja, David P. Mason (2016). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Rene G. Favaloro, M.D. International Award in Cardiac Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (2013)
- The World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery (2012)
- The European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery (2011)