Mona Arbab, M.D., M.Ed., Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, earned her medical degree from Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Iran and a Master’s in Adult Education from Indiana University. She has completed two research fellowships at Harvard Medical School in radiation biology and immunology after receiving the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA T32) grant, and also completed an internship in surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. Dr. Arbab completed clinical training in radiation oncology at Indiana University’s Radiation Oncology Program, and was Chief Resident in 2021. Her research interests include translational research, novel techniques that can reduce treatment-related toxicities, patient-reported outcome (PRO) and medical education.
Her work has been published in many journals including the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Advances in Radiation Oncology, Head & Neck journal, Applied Radiation Oncology, and Dysphagia journal. She serves as the reviewer for Advances in Radiation Oncology and International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics (Red Journal). She was also selected among the top reviewers for Red Journal in 2020.
- Medical School
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences (2014)
- Indiana University School of Medicine (2022)
- Medical education
- Patient education
- Patient-reported outcome
- Personalized medicine
- Translational research
- Treatment toxicities
- Association between radiation dose to organs at risk and acute patient reported outcome during radiation treatment for head and neck cancers.
- Arbab M, Chen YH, Tishler RB, Gunasti L, Glass J, Fugazzotto JA, Killoran JH, Sethi R, Rettig E, Annino D, Goguen L, Uppaluri R, Hsu C, Burke E, Hanna GJ, Lorch J, Haddad RI, Margalit DN, Schoenfeld JD, Head Neck 2022 06 44 6 1442-1452
- Integrating Radiation Oncology Into Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Arbab M, Holmes JA, Olivier KR, Fields EC, Corbin KS, Kahn JM, Zellars RC, Haywood AM, Adv Radiat Oncol 2021 Nov-Dec 6 6 100765
- The Dosimetric Outcome of a Rotational Planning Target Volume in Patients With Oropharyngeal Cancers.
- Arbab M, Bartlett G, Dawson B, Ge J, Langer M, Dysphagia 2021 Jul
- Formalized Mentorship in Radiation Oncology in the COVID Era: American College of Radiation Oncology Experience
- Arbab M, Chaurasia A, Merfeld E, Hassanzadeh C, Feng C, Sherer M, Razavian N, Schutz A, Sandoval M, Holmes J, Puckett L, Dragun J, Schuster J Applied Radiation Oncology 2021 12 10 18-24
- Patient reported outcomes in patients with head and neck cancer treated with concurrent chemoradiation with weekly versus bolus cisplatin.
- Arbab M, Chen YH, Criscitiello S, Glass J, Fugazzotto JA, Killoran JH, Hanna G, Lorch J, Haddad RI, Margalit DN, Tishler RB, Schoenfeld JD, Head Neck 2020 12 42 12 3670-3677
- The effect of designing a rotational planning target volume on sparing pharyngeal constrictor muscles in patients with oropharyngeal cancer.
- Arbab M, Ai H, Bartlett G, Dawson B, Langer M, J Appl Clin Med Phys 2020 Nov 21 11 172-178
- Exploiting tumor position differences between deep inspiration and expiration in lung stereotactic body radiation therapy planning.
- Huang C, Shiue K, Bartlett G, Agrawal N, Arbab M, Maxim P, DesRosiers C, Mereniuk T, Ellsworth S, Rhome R, Holmes J, Langer M, Zellars R, Lautenschlaeger T, Med Dosim 2020 Autumn 45 3 293-297
- Outcomes following radiation for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: Associations between immune suppression and recurrence.
- Arbab M, Margalit DN, Tishler RB, Rabinowits G, Pashtan IM, Borgelt BB, Powlis W, Holdsworth CH, Warren LE, Schoenfeld JD, Head Neck 2019 07 41 7 2111-2115
- Purinergic P2X4 receptors and mitochondrial ATP production regulate T cell migration.
- Ledderose C, Liu K, Kondo Y, Slubowski CJ, Dertnig T, Denicoló S, Arbab M, Hubner J, Konrad K, Fakhari M, Lederer JA, Robson SC, Visner GA, Junger WG, J Clin Invest 2018 08 128 8 3583-3594
- Neuroblastoma: Essential genetic pathways and current therapeutic options.
- Salemi F, Alam W, Hassani MS, Hashemi SZ, Jafari AA, Mirmoeeni SMS, Arbab M, Mortazavizadeh SMR, Khan H, Eur J Pharmacol 2022 Jul 926 175030
Honors & Awards
- AT Yang Memorial Award in Theoretical Kinematics, IDETC MR Conference
- American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO) Travel Award
- The International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics Top Reviewers
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Trainee Research Prize
- The Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)
- Deans Award for Top Ranked Medical Student, Tehran University Medical Sciences, Iran
- Iran Presidential Award for Academic Achievement in National University Entrance Exam, Iran