Originally from China, Dr. Kong earned his medical degree at Yangzhou University Medical College in Jiangsu, China, and completed a residency in internal medicine at Ruijin Hospital at Shanghai Jiaotong University. He then earned a doctoral degree in immunology and genetics from the Sorbonne University in Paris, France. He later earned a master's degree in translational medicine from the Rockefeller University in New York. He received additional internal medicine residency training at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, followed by advanced training through a fellowship in gastroenterology.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and gastroenterology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Kong's research interests include celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, inborn errors of immunity, and rare liver diseases. His previous work led to the discovery of serval new genetic diseases, including human SPPL2A deficiency, inherited STAT1 disorders and interferonopathy in Down Syndrome. He has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and presented widely at national and international conferences.
Dr. Kong is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the American Gastroenterological Association, and the European Society for Immunodeficiencies.
- Medical School
- Yangzhou University Medical College (2001)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- The Rockefeller University (2015)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai /Queens Hospital Center (2018), Internal Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus (2021), Gastroenterology
- Celiac Disease
- Human Genetics
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Rare Digestive & Liver Diseases
- Three Copies of Four Interferon Receptor Genes Underlie a Mild Type I Interferonopathy in Down Syndrome.
- Kong XF, Worley L, Rinchai D, Bondet V, Jithesh PV, Goulet M, Nonnotte E, Rebillat AS, Conte M, Mircher C, Gürtler N, Liu L, Migaud M, Elanbari M, Habib T, Ma CS, Bustamante J, Abel L, Ravel A, Lyonnet S, Munnich A, Duffy D, Chaussabel D, Casanova JL, Tangye SG, Boisson-Dupuis S, Puel A, J. Clin. Immunol. 2020 Jun
- Disruption of an antimycobacterial circuit between dendritic and helper T cells in human SPPL2a deficiency.
- Kong XF, Martinez-Barricarte R, Kennedy J, Mele F, Lazarov T, Deenick EK, Ma CS, Breton G, Lucero KB, Langlais D, Bousfiha A, Aytekin C, Markle J, Trouillet C, Jabot-Hanin F, Arlehamn CSL, Rao G, Picard C, Lasseau T, Latorre D, Hambleton S, Deswarte C, Itan Y, Abarca K, Moraes-Vasconcelos D, Ailal F, Ikinciogullari A, Dogu F, Benhsaien I, Sette A, Abel L, Boisson-Dupuis S, Schröder B, Nussenzweig MC, Liu K, Geissmann F, Tangye SG, Gros P, Sallusto F, Bustamante J, Casanova JL, Nat Immunol 2018 09 19 9 973-985
- Haploinsufficiency at the human IFNGR2 locus contributes to mycobacterial disease.
- Kong XF, Vogt G, Itan Y, Macura-Biegun A, Szaflarska A, Kowalczyk D, Chapgier A, Abhyankar A, Furthner D, Djambas Khayat C, Okada S, Bryant VL, Bogunovic D, Kreins A, Moncada-Vélez M, Migaud M, Al-Ajaji S, Al-Muhsen S, Holland SM, Abel L, Picard C, Chaussabel D, Bustamante J, Casanova JL, Boisson-Dupuis S, Hum Mol Genet 2013 Feb 22 4 769-81
- Inborn errors of human STAT1: allelic heterogeneity governs the diversity of immunological and infectious phenotypes.
- Boisson-Dupuis S, Kong XF, Okada S, Cypowyj S, Puel A, Abel L, Casanova JL, Curr Opin Immunol 2012 Aug 24 4 364-78
- Gain-of-function human STAT1 mutations impair IL-17 immunity and underlie chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis.
- Liu L, Okada S, Kong XF, Kreins AY, Cypowyj S, Abhyankar A, Toubiana J, Itan Y, Audry M, Nitschke P, Masson C, Toth B, Flatot J, Migaud M, Chrabieh M, Kochetkov T, Bolze A, Borghesi A, Toulon A, Hiller J, Eyerich S, Eyerich K, Gulácsy V, Chernyshova L, Chernyshov V, Bondarenko A, Grimaldo RM, Blancas-Galicia L, Beas IM, Roesler J, Magdorf K, Engelhard D, Thumerelle C, Burgel PR, Hoernes M, Drexel B, Seger R, Kusuma T, Jansson AF, Sawalle-Belohradsky J, Belohradsky B, Jouanguy E, Bustamante J, Bué M, Karin N, Wildbaum G, Bodemer C, Lortholary O, Fischer A, Blanche S, Al-Muhsen S, Reichenbach J, Kobayashi M, Rosales FE, Lozano CT, Kilic SS, Oleastro M, Etzioni A, Traidl-Hoffmann C, Renner ED, Abel L, Picard C, Maródi L, Boisson-Dupuis S, Puel A, Casanova JL, J Exp Med 2011 Aug 208 8 1635-48
- A novel form of human STAT1 deficiency impairing early but not late responses to interferons.
- Kong XF, Ciancanelli M, Al-Hajjar S, Alsina L, Zumwalt T, Bustamante J, Feinberg J, Audry M, Prando C, Bryant V, Kreins A, Bogunovic D, Halwani R, Zhang XX, Abel L, Chaussabel D, Al-Muhsen S, Casanova JL, Boisson-Dupuis S, Blood 2010 Dec 116 26 5895-906
- A novel form of cell type-specific partial IFN-gammaR1 deficiency caused by a germ line mutation of the IFNGR1 initiation codon.
- Kong XF, Vogt G, Chapgier A, Lamaze C, Bustamante J, Prando C, Fortin A, Puel A, Feinberg J, Zhang XX, Gonnord P, Pihkala-Saarinen UM, Arola M, Moilanen P, Abel L, Korppi M, Boisson-Dupuis S, Casanova JL, Hum Mol Genet 2010 Feb 19 3 434-44
- Identification of a ferrochelatase mutation in a Chinese family with erythropoietic protoporphyria.
- Kong XF, Ye J, Gao DY, Gong QM, Zhang DH, Lu ZM, Lu YM, Zhang XX, J Hepatol 2008 Feb 48 2 375-9
- Immunogenetics of gastrointestinal cancers: A systematic review and retrospective survey of inborn errors of immunity in humans.
- Zheng B, Artin MG, Chung H, Chen B, Sun S, May BL, Hur C, Green PHR, Wang TC, Park J, Kong XF, J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2022 Jun 37 6 973-982
- Individuals with Down syndrome hospitalized with COVID-19 have more severe disease.
- Malle L, Gao C, Hur C, Truong HQ, Bouvier NM, Percha B, Kong XF, Bogunovic D, Genet Med 2021 03 23 3 576-580
Honors & Awards
- Clinical and Translational Science Award
The Rockefeller University (2015)
- Jérôme Lejeune Foundation Award
- Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Award
- C.H. Li Memorial Scholar Award
- Keystone Symposia Travel Award
- First-Prize Scholarship,
Shanghai Jiaotong University, School of Medicine (2004)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American Gastroenterological Association
- Clinical Immunology Society (2010)
- European Society for Immunodeficiencies (2012)