Originally from China, Dr. Kong was educated and trained across three continents. He earned his medical degree at Yangzhou University Medical College in Jiangsu, and received internal medicine residency training at Ruijin Hospital in Shanghai. He then earned a doctoral degree in immunology and genetics from the Sorbonne University in Paris, France. As a postdoctoral fellow, he obtained a master's degree in translational medicine from The Rockefeller University in New York. He then received additional internal medicine residency training at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai /Queens Hospital Center, and advanced training in gastroenterology through a fellowship program at Columbia University Medical Center.
He is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in both internal medicine and gastroenterology. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Kong's research interests, which include celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, and rare digestive and liver diseases, have resulted in numerous publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at national and international conferences.
He is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, and the European Society for Immunodeficiencies.
- Medical School
- Yangzhou University Medical College (2001)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- The Rockefeller University (2015)
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai /Queens Hospital Center (2018), Internal Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus (2021), Gastroenterology
- Celiac Disease
- Human Genetics
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Rare Digestive & Liver Diseases
Honors & Awards
- Clinical and Translational Science Award
The Rockefeller University (2015)
- Jérôme Lejeune Foundation Award
- Stony Wold-Herbert Fund Award
- C.H. Li Memorial Scholar Award
- Keystone Symposia Travel Award
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- American College of Physicians
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy