Kathleen Zhang, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Cardiology. She specializes in the cardiovascular care of patients with cancer (cardio-oncology) as well as patients with cardiac amyloidosis.
Dr. Zhang earned her medical degree at the University of Pennsylvania, where she also completed her residency in internal medicine. She received advanced training in cardiology and cardio-oncology through fellowships at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and cardiovascular disease and by the National Board of Echocardiography in adult comprehensive echocardiography, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Zhang’s clinical and research interests focus on the cardiovascular care of cancer patients before, during, and after cancer treatment. She also has clinical and research expertise in cardiac amyloidosis, an underdiagnosed cause of restrictive cardiomyopathy that is often related to a type of blood cancer. She is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and International Cardio-Oncology Society.
The author of numerous academic articles, book chapters, and presentations, Dr. Zhang is co-editor of the Washington Manual of Cardio-Oncology and an associate editor of the International Cardio-Oncology Society Board Review Manual: A Guide to Cardio-Oncology. She serves as an ad-hoc reviewer for several journals, including Heart, Journal of Cardiac Failure, and Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardio-Oncology.
- Medical School
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (2013)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (2016), Internal Medicine
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University School of Medicine (2019), Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Outcomes in Men with Prostate Cancer
- Cardiovascular Safety of Cancer Therapeutics
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Cardiac Amyloidosis
- Echocardiographic and clinical predictors of cardiac amyloidosis: limitations of apical sparing.
- Kyrouac D, Schiffer W, Lennep B, Fergestrom N, Zhang KW, Gorcsan J, Lenihan DJ, Mitchell JD, ESC Heart Fail 2021 Dec
- Role of cardiovascular magnetic resonance in early detection and treatment of cardiac dysfunction in oncology patients.
- Vallabhaneni S, Zhang KW, Alvarez-Cardona JA, Mitchell JD, Steen H, Woodard PK, Lenihan DJ, Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2021 Oct 37 10 3003-3017
- Cardiovascular Events in Men with Prostate Cancer Receiving Hormone Therapy: An Analysis of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS).
- Zhang KW, Reimers MA, Calaway AC, Fradley MG, Ponsky L, Garcia JA, Cullen J, Baumann BC, Addison D, Campbell CM, Ghosh AK, Lenihan DJ, Desai NR, Weintraub N, Guha A, J Urol 2021 09 206 3 613-622
- Prognostic Utility of Echocardiographic Atrial and Ventricular Strain Imaging in Patients With Cardiac Amyloidosis.
- Huntjens PR, Zhang KW, Soyama Y, Karmpalioti M, Lenihan DJ, Gorcsan J, JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2021 08 14 8 1508-1519
- Interim Analysis of the Phase II Study: Noninferiority Study of Doxorubicin with Upfront Dexrazoxane plus Olaratumab for Advanced or Metastatic Soft-Tissue Sarcoma.
- Van Tine BA, Hirbe AC, Oppelt P, Frith AE, Rathore R, Mitchell JD, Wan F, Berry S, Landeau M, Heberton GA, Gorcsan J, Huntjens PR, Soyama Y, Vader JM, Alvarez-Cardona JA, Zhang KW, Lenihan DJ, Krone RJ, Clin Cancer Res 2021 Jul 27 14 3854-3860
- Heart Failure With Targeted Cancer Therapies: Mechanisms and Cardioprotection.
- Hahn VS, Zhang KW, Sun L, Narayan V, Lenihan DJ, Ky B, Circ Res 2021 05 128 10 1576-1593
- Cardiac Amyloidosis for the Primary Care Provider: A Practical Review to Promote Earlier Recognition of Disease.
- Zhang KW, Vallabhaneni S, Alvarez-Cardona JA, Krone RJ, Mitchell JD, Lenihan DJ, Am J Med 2021 05 134 5 587-595
- Out of the woods, but still in the weeds: When cancer therapy becomes part of a chronic condition.
- Zhang KW, Heart 2021 04 107 8 607-608
- A multi-modal diagnostic model improves detection of cardiac amyloidosis among patients with diagnostic confirmation by cardiac biopsy.
- Zhang KW, Zhang R, Deych E, Stockerl-Goldstein KE, Gorcsan J, Lenihan DJ, Am Heart J 2021 02 232 137-145
- Unsupervised cluster analysis of patients with recovered left ventricular ejection fraction identifies unique clinical phenotypes.
- Perry A, Loh F, Adamo L, Zhang KW, Deych E, Foraker R, Mann DL, PLoS One 2021 16 3 e0248317
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star
Castle Connolly (2021)
- Top Doctor
Castle Connolly (2021)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
University of Pennsylvania (2013)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
Stanford University (2009)
- International Cardio-Oncology Society (2020)
- American College of Cardiology (2019)
- American Heart Association (2019)