Nicolas Madsen, M.D., M.P.H., earned both his M.P.H. and M.D. at the University of Washington. He completed his residency in 2008, a fellowship in Epidemiology in 2009, and another fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology in 2012, all at the University of Washington.
Dr. Madsen is a pediatric cardiologist with academic and clinical expertise in acute care cardiology and long-term outcomes of children with congenital heart disease (CHD). Dr. Madsen has a history of productive research examining the long-term outcomes of the CHD population. This work is aided by his formal appointment at Aarhus University, Denmark within the Department of Clinical Epidemiology. Dr. Madsen has mentored medical and PhD students, post-docs, as well as categorical cardiology fellows through many of these investigations, which has led to several international awards for his mentees (including AAP and AHA). In addition, Dr. Madsen has partnered with faculty within the Heart Institute, as well as at external centers including the NIH, to design and execute projects focused on the long-term health and outcomes of the CHD community. Dr. Madsen’s scholarly leadership experience includes his attention to acute care cardiology outcomes as exemplified by his history of co-founding the Pediatric Acute Care Cardiology Collaborative (PAC3), an organization that he leads today as the Executive Director. The aim of this organization, and Dr. Madsen’s work, is to improve the care and outcomes of hospitalized cardiac patients through traditional research and quality improvement science.
His expertise is in acute care cardiology, caring for children hospitalized with congenital and acquired heart conditions and adults with congenital heart disease. He is co-founder and co-Director of the Pediatric Acute Care Cardiology Collaborative, an international learning network with over 40 hospital member centers that aims to drive better outcomes and experiences for children hospitalized with heart conditions.
He is presently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Population and Data Scientists at UT Southwestern Medical Center and serves as the Chief of Pediatric Cardiology at UT Southwestern and Chief of Cardiology and Co-Director of The Heart Center at Children’s Health.
- Medical School
- University of Washington School of Medicine (2005)
- University of Washington/Seattle Children's Hospital (2008), Pediatrics
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Washington School of Public Health (2011)
- University of Washington/Seattle Children's Hospital (2012), Pediatric Cardiology
- Acute Care Cardiology outcomes such as hospital length of stay, complications, and hospital readmission.
- Long term cardiac and non-cardiac health outcomes in the congenital heart disease population.
- Quality Improvement Science
- Effectiveness and Safety of Statin Therapy in Children: A Real-World Clinical Practice Experience.
- Kavey RW, Manlhiot C, Runeckles K, Collins T, Gidding SS, Demczko M, Clauss S, Harahsheh AS, Mietus-Syder M, Khoury M, Madsen N, McCrindle BW, CJC Open 2020 Nov 2 6 473-482
- Comparison of Economic Self-Sufficiency and Educational Attainment in Adults With Congenital Heart Disease Versus Siblings Without Heart Disease and to General Population.
- Madsen NL, Marino BS, Woo JG, Olsen M, Am J Cardiol 2020 11 135 135-142
- Health literacy and caregiver understanding in the CHD population.
- Rodts ME, Unaka NI, Statile CJ, Madsen NL, Cardiol Young 2020 Oct 30 10 1439-1444
- Intensive Care Unit and Acute Care Unit Length of Stay After Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Hart SA, Tanel RE, Kipps AK, Hoerst AK, Graupe MA, Cassidy SC, Hlavacek AM, Clabby ML, Bush LB, Zhang W, Banerjee MM, Pasquali SK, Gaies M, Madsen N, Ann Thorac Surg 2020 10 110 4 1396-1403
- Time series evaluation of improvement interventions to reduce alarm notifications in a paediatric hospital.
- Pater CM, Sosa TK, Boyer J, Cable R, Egan M, Knilans TK, Schondelmeyer AC, Schuler CL, Madsen NL, BMJ Qual Saf 2020 09 29 9 717-726
- Center Variation in Chest Tube Duration and Length of Stay After Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Bates KE, Madsen NL, Khadr L, Gao Z, Crawford K, Gaies M, Graupe M, Hanke SP, Hlavacek AM, Morell E, Pasquali SK, Russell JL, Schachtner SK, Tanel RE, Ware AL, Kipps AK, Ann Thorac Surg 2020 07 110 1 221-227
- The Pediatric Heart Network Residual Lesion Score Study: Design and objectives.
- Nathan M, Trachtenberg FL, Van Rompay MI, Gaynor W, Kanter K, Ohye R, Bacha EA, Tweddell J, Schwartz SM, Minich LL, Mery CM, Colan SD, Levine J, Lambert LM, Newburger JW, J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2020 07 160 1 218-223.e1
- Congenital Heart Disease and Risk of Central Nervous System Infections: A Nationwide Cohort Study.
- Bagge CN, Smit J, Madsen NL, Olsen M, Pediatr Cardiol 2020 Jun 41 5 869-876
- Reduction in myocardial strain is evident in adolescents and young adults with obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Haley JE, Zhiqian G, Philip KR, Nicolas ML, Thomas KR, Lawrence DM, Elaine UM, Pediatr Diabetes 2020 03 21 2 243-250
- Reaching the paediatric chest pain audience outside of ambulatory clinic using internet-based education.
- Powell AW, Ritzenthaler Z, Powell KW, Camper R, Madsen NL, BMJ Paediatr Open 2020 4 1 e000778
Chapter 19, Congenital heart lesions, Pulmonary Stenosis. In Common Cardiac Issues in Pediatrics
Anderson H, Madsen NL, Batlivala S, Kyle WB, Putschoegl A, Johnson J. (2018). Itasca, IL, American Academy of Pediatrics
Chapter 19, Congenital heart lesions, Atrial Septal Defects. In Common Cardiac Issues in Pediatrics
Thompson AJ, Madsen NL, Batlivala S, Kyle WB, Putschoegl A, Johnson J (2018). Itasca, IL, American Academy of Pediatrics
Pediatric Critical Care Medicine: Respiratory, Cardiovascular and Central Nervous Systems. In Long-Term Outcomes in Congenital Heart Disease
Heydarian H, Madsen NL, Marino BS (2014). London, UK, Springer
Chapter 19, Congenital heart lesions, Tetralogy of Fallot. In Common Cardiac Issues in Pediatrics
Madsen NL, Batlivala S, Kyle WB, Putschoegl A, Johnson J (2018). Itasca, IL, American Academy of Pediatrics
Honors & Awards
- Cincinnati Top Doctors
- Patient Education Advocacy Award
Home Care for Heart Health (2018)
- Clinical Care Achievement Award
Cincinnati Children's Hospital (2017)
- Heart Hero Award
Pediatric Congenital Heart Association (2017)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Make a Difference Award (2016)
- Advocacy Day Training Scholarship Award
AAP Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Washington, DC (2015)
- Early Bird Career (Specialty Focus) Best Poster
AHA 2015 Scientific Sessions (2015)
- Third place abstract
24th Annual Symposium on the Adult with Congenital Heart Disease (2014)
- Outstanding Fellow Teaching Award
Seattle Children's Hospital (2012)
- Corkey Travel Award
Seattle Children's Hospital, University of Washington School of Medicine (2011)
- Education Travel Grant Recipient
AAP Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Boston, MA (2011)
- Fellow's Teaching Award
Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA (2011)
- Finalist Young Investigator Award
AAP Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, Boston, MA, (2011)
- Outstanding Clinical Research Award
Seattle Children's Fellow's College Research Day (2010-2012)
- Outstanding Investigator Award
Cardiology 2010 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Orlando, FL (2010)
- Young Investigator's Travel Award
Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada (2010)
- Scientific Sessions 2019, Top Abstract (CVDY)
American Heart Association
- Membership & Communications Committee American Heart Association, Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY), Chair (2017-2019)
- American Heart Association Science and Clinical Education Lifelong Learning (SCILL) Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY), Member (2016-2019)
- Pediatric Cardiology Critical Care Consortium (PC4), Executive Committee (2016)
- Congenital Heart Public Health Consortium, Member (2015-2019)
- Mended Little Hearts, Medical Advisory Board (2014-2016)
- Pediatric Congenital Heart Association, Medical Advisory Board (2014)
- Pediatric Heart Network, Member & Investigator (2013)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2012)
- American Heart Association, Member (2012)
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training, University of Cincinnati (2012)
- Adara Group, Medical Consultant (2011-2015)
- National Institute of Heath Loan Repayment Program, Ambassador Network (2011)
- American College of Cardiology, Member (2009)
- Institute of Translational Heart Sciences University of Washington (2009-2012)
- American Medical Association (2001-2005)