Christina Yen, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine. She specializes in diagnostic and antimicrobial stewardship and applied bioethics.
Dr. Yen grew up in Los Angeles, where she earned a bachelor's degree in health and humanity from the University of Southern California (USC). She remained to complete her medical degree and internal medicine residency training. Her mentorship, research, and clinical opportunities gave rise to her interest in infectious diseases, concentrating on healthcare epidemiology and the growing field of diagnostic stewardship. To build on these interests, she ambarked on advanced training through a fellowship program in infectious diseases at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, followed by an additional year of healthcare epidemiology training. During her fellowship training, she also completed the Program for Clinical Effectiveness certificate course and was accepted into the Harvard Medical School Masters of Bioethics program.
She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Yen is the Associate Director of Microbial Stewardship at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital. She's a member of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the Massachusetts Infectious Diseases Society, the Texas Medical Association, and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.
Her research interests include antimicrobial stewardship, central-line associated bloodstream infections, and clinical ethics. She has published and presented widely in her areas of expertise, with recent publications featured in high-impact journals such as Clinical Infectious Diseases, JAMA Cardiology, and Antimicrobial Stewardship and Healthcare Epidemiology.
Dr. Yen is an active member of several professional organizations, including the Infectious Diseases Society of America, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
Outside of work, Dr. Yen enjoys cooking, scavenger hunts, gardening, and listening to podcasts on walks.
- Medical School
- USC Keck School of Medicine (2015)
- University of Southern California + LAC (2018), Internal Medicine
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2021), Infectious Diseases
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Central-line Associated Bloodstream Infections
- Clinical Ethics
- Diagnostic Stewardship
- Healthcare Epidemiology
- Infection prevention measures in acute care settings based on severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 transmission patterns and risk: a review.
- Yen CF, van den Berg P, Pepe DE, Curr Opin Infect Dis 2021 08 34 4 346-356
- Case Report: Refractory Cryptosporidiosis after CAR T-Cell Therapy for Lymphoma.
- Trottier CA, Yen CF, Malvar G, Arnason J, Avigan DE, Alonso CD, Am J Trop Med Hyg 2021 Jul
- Intravenous cephalosporin versus non-cephalosporin-based prophylaxis to prevent surgical site infections in colorectal surgery patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Bowder AN, Yen CF, Bebell LM, Fernandes AR, Ann Med Surg (Lond) 2021 Jul 67 102401
- QT Interval in Patients With COVID-19-Reply.
- Yen CF, Shim DJ, Gold HS, JAMA Cardiol 2021 03 6 3 358
- The Limit of Detection Matters: The Case for Benchmarking Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Testing.
- Arnaout R, Lee RA, Lee GR, Callahan C, Cheng A, Yen CF, Smith KP, Arora R, Kirby JE, Clin Infect Dis 2021 Feb
- Risk of QT Interval Prolongation Associated With Use of Hydroxychloroquine With or Without Concomitant Azithromycin Among Hospitalized Patients Testing Positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Mercuro NJ, Yen CF, Shim DJ, Maher TR, McCoy CM, Zimetbaum PJ, Gold HS, JAMA Cardiol 2020 Sep 5 9 1036-1041
- Reducing Clostridium difficile Colitis Rates Via Cost-Saving Diagnostic Stewardship.
- Yen C, Holtom P, Butler-Wu SM, Wald-Dickler N, Shulman I, Spellberg B, Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018 06 39 6 734-736
- Case report: herpes simplex encephalitis in cancer patients.
- Yen CF, Patel MS, Chu P, Yen Y, Chen W, Biosci Trends 2009 Feb 3 1 38-40
MIS Retroperitoneal Vertebrectomy. In Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques: Spine and Peripheral Nerves, 2nd Ed.
Tuchman A, Yen C, Liu J (2016). Thieme Medical Pub
Honors & Awards
- Teaching Fellow of the Year Nominee
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2019)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
University of Southern California (2018)
- Resident of the Year
University of Southern California (2018)
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Texas Medical Association