Laila Lakhani, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Nephrology Division. Her clinical interests include pregnancy and kidney transplant, infections in transplant recipients, and living-donor transplantation.
Dr. Lakhani earned her medical degree at Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, and completed her internal medicine residency training at the UT Health Science Center at Houston. She then received advanced training in nephrology and transplant nephrology through separate fellowships at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, and at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, respectively.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Lakhani is the author of numerous research articles and presentations.
She is an active member of the American College of Physicians, the American Society of Nephrology, and the American Society of Transplantation.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University Medical College, Pakistan (2014)
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (2018), Internal Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2020), Nephrology
- Emory University School of Medicine (2021), Transplant Nephrology
- Peritoneal Dialysis for Delayed Graft Function After Kidney Transplantation: To Do or Not to Do?
- Issa N, Lakhani L, Kidney Int Rep 2021 Jun 6 6 1494-1496
- Thrombotic microangiopathy versus class IV lupus nephritis in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Alkhatib MH, Kant S, Menez S, Lakhani L, Sperati CJ, Fine DM, Arend LJ, Atta MG, J Nephrol 2021 Mar
- Utility of Serial Donor-derived Cell-free DNA Measurements for Detecting Allograft Rejection in a Kidney Transplant Recipient After PD-1 Checkpoint Inhibitor Administration.
- Lakhani L, Alasfar S, Bhalla A, Aala A, Rosenberg A, Ostrander D, Schollenberger MD, Brennan DC, Lipson EJ, Transplant Direct 2021 Feb 7 2 e656
- Patterns, control and complications of diabetes from a hospital based registry established in a low income country.
- Akhter J, Ahmed A, Mawani M, Lakhani L, Kalsekar A, Tabassum S, Islam N, BMC Endocr Disord 2017 Jun 17 1 30
- Prevalence of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Due to Community Violence Among University Students in the World's Most Dangerous Megacity: A Cross-Sectional Study From Pakistan.
- Khan AA, Haider G, Sheikh MR, Ali AF, Khalid Z, Tahir MM, Malik TM, Salick MM, Lakhani LS, Yousuf FS, Khan MB, Saleem S, J Interpers Violence 2016 08 31 13 2302-15
- Challenges identified in the management of patients with inherited metabolic disorders ? A five year experience from Pakistan
- Bushra Afroze, Laila Lakhani, Farah Naz, Sana Somani, Zabedah M. Yunus, Nick Brown Egyptian Journal of Medical Human Genetics. 2016 17 3 259-264
- Clinical features and induction outcome of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in a lower/middle income population: A multi-institutional report from Pakistan.
- Fadoo Z, Nisar I, Yousuf F, Lakhani LS, Ashraf S, Imam U, Zaheer J, Naqvi A, Belgaumi A, Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015 Oct 62 10 1700-8
- HIV-1 progression links with viral genetic variability and subtype, and patient's HLA type: analysis of a Nairobi-Kenyan cohort.
- Abidi SH, Shahid A, Lakhani LS, Shah R, Okinda N, Ojwang P, Abbas F, Rowland-Jones S, Ali S, Med Microbiol Immunol 2014 Feb 203 1 57-63
- Smoking practices and nicotine dependence among adolescents in Pakistan.
- Sami N, Noorani SS, Lakhani LS, Ghouse A, Valliani S, J Pak Med Assoc 2013 Oct 63 10 1260-5
- Population-specific evolution of HIV Gag epitopes in genetically diverged patients.
- Abidi SH, Shahid A, Lakhani LS, Khanani MR, Ojwang P, Okinda N, Shah R, Abbas F, Rowland-Jones S, Ali S, Infect Genet Evol 2013 Jun 16 78-86
Honors & Awards
- First Place Poster
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Onco-Nephrology Conference (2019)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplantation