Dr. Afrough earned her medical degree from Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. She completed her residency in internal medicine at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland and received advanced training in hematology and oncology fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine as well as Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
She is triple board certified in internal medicine, medical oncology, and hematology. She joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in 2021.
Her clinical research is focused on improving the therapy and outcome of patients with plasma cell disorders. She is particularly interested in developing novel therapeutic approaches, including adoptive cell therapy to improve the safety and efficacy of therapies in patients with plasma cell disorders.
Dr. Afrough is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Society of Hematology, the American Society of Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, and the International Myeloma Society.
- Medical School
- Tabriz University (2008)
- St. Agnes Hospital (2017), Internal Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine (2020), Hematology Oncology
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (2021), Stem Cell Transplantation & Cellular Therapy
- Developing Cellular Therapy such as CAR T Cells With or Without Tranplant
- High-risk Multiple Myeloma
- Multiple Myeloma and other Plasma Cell Dyscrasia
- HLA-DP mismatch and CMV reactivation increase risk of aGVHD independently in recipients of allogeneic stem cell transplant.
- Ghobadi A, Milton DR, Gowda L, Rondon G, Chemaly RF, Hamdi A, Alousi A, Afrough A, Oran B, Ciurea S, Kebriaei P, Popat UR, Qazilbash MH, Shpall EJ, Champlin RE, Bashir Q, Curr Res Transl Med 2019 05 67 2 51-55
- Impact of Induction Therapy on the Outcome of Immunoglobulin Light Chain Amyloidosis after Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- Afrough A, Saliba RM, Hamdi A, Honhar M, Varma A, Cornelison AM, Rondon G, Parmar S, Shah ND, Bashir Q, Hosing C, Popat U, Weber DM, Thomas S, Orlowski RZ, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2018 11 24 11 2197-2203
- Impact of Hepatitis B Core Antibody Seropositivity on the Outcome of Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Multiple Myeloma.
- Varma A, Biritxinaga L, Saliba RM, Stich M, Jauch SF, Afrough A, Honhar M, Popat UR, Shafi MA, Shah N, Bashir Q, Dinh Y, Hosing C, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2017 Apr 23 4 581-587
- Poor immune reconstitution is associated with symptomatic BK polyomavirus viruria in allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients.
- Abudayyeh A, Hamdi A, Abdelrahim M, Lin H, Page VD, Rondon G, Andersson BS, Afrough A, Martinez CS, Tarrand JJ, Kontoyiannis DP, Marin D, Gaber AO, Oran B, Chemaly RF, Ahmed S, Abudayyeh I, Olson A, Jones R, Popat U, Champlin RE, Shpall EJ, Rezvani K, Transpl Infect Dis 2017 Feb 19 1
- Outcomes in hepatitis C virus seropositive lymphoma and myeloma patients after autologous stem cell transplantation.
- Varma A, Saliba RM, Torres HA, Afrough A, Hosing C, Khouri IF, Nieto Y, Shah ND, Parmar S, Bashir Q, Ahmed S, Jones RB, Kebriaei P, Olson AL, Shpall EJ, Alousi AM, Qazilbash MH, Champlin RE, Popat U, Bone Marrow Transplant 2016 07 51 7 999-1001
- Symptomatic BK Virus Infection Is Associated With Kidney Function Decline and Poor Overall Survival in Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Recipients.
- Abudayyeh A, Hamdi A, Lin H, Abdelrahim M, Rondon G, Andersson BS, Afrough A, Martinez CS, Tarrand JJ, Kontoyiannis DP, Marin D, Gaber AO, Salahudeen A, Oran B, Chemaly RF, Olson A, Jones R, Popat U, Champlin RE, Shpall EJ, Winkelmayer WC, Rezvani K, Am J Transplant 2016 05 16 5 1492-502
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in light chain amyloidosis (AL) with renal involvement.
- Cornelison AM, Saliba RM, Afrough A, Dinh Y, Nieto Y, Bashir Q, Shah N, Parmar S, Hosing C, Popat U, Shpall E, Champlin R, Qazilbash MH, Bone Marrow Transplant 2016 Feb 51 2 307-9
- Outcome of Patients with Immunoglobulin Light-Chain Amyloidosis with Lung, Liver, Gastrointestinal, Neurologic, and Soft Tissue Involvement after Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation.
- Afrough A, Saliba RM, Hamdi A, El Fakih R, Varma A, Dinh YT, Rondon G, Cornelison AM, Shah ND, Bashir Q, Shah JJ, Hosing C, Popat U, Orlowski RZ, Champlin RE, Parmar S, Qazilbash MH, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2015 Aug 21 8 1413-7
- Central nervous system relapse in adults with acute lymphoblastic leukemia after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Hamdi A, Mawad R, Bassett R, di Stasi A, Ferro R, Afrough A, Ram R, Dabaja B, Rondon G, Champlin R, Sandmaier BM, Doney K, Bar M, Kebriaei P, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2014 Nov 20 11 1767-71
- Donor cell-derived myelodysplastic syndrome with ring chromosome 7 after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant in 2 patients with lymphomas as primary disease.
- Hamdi A, Afrough A, Muzzafar T, Popat UR, Hosing CM, Qazilbash MH, Lu G, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2014 Oct 14 5 e151-5
Honors & Awards
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Clinical Investigation
Baylor College of Medicine Clinical Scientist Training Program (2020)
- International Myeloma Society (2021)
- American Society of Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (2019)
- American Society of Hematology (2016)
- American Society of Oncology (2016)
- Society of Hematologic Oncology (2015)