Srilakshmi Vallabhaneni, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and is a member of the Division of Cardiology. She specializes in cardio-oncology.
Dr. Vallabhaneni earned her medical degree at the NRI Academy of Medical Sciences in India. She completed a residency in internal medicine at MedStar Harbor Hospital and a general cardiology fellowship at St. Luke’s University Health Network. She then received advanced training in cardio-oncology and advanced cardiac imaging (cardiac MRI) through an additional fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and the University of Pennsylvania.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Vallabhaneni’s clinical and research interests include cardiac imaging with echocardiography and cardiovascular magnetic resonance, as well as cardio-oncology, especially as it regards early detection and prevention of cancer therapy-related cardiotoxicity to minimize interruptions in chemotherapy for patients undergoing active treatment and also for cancer survivors.
She has presented and published insightful academic articles, abstracts, and book chapters on these topics and is a member of several professional societies, including the American College of Cardiology, the American College of Physicians, the American Heart Association, and the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine 2021, Cardio-oncology & Advanced Cardiac Imaging
- Medical School
- NTR University of Health Sciences/NRI Medical College (2011)
- Medstar Harbor Hospital (2017), Internal Medicine
- St Luke's University Health Network (2020), Cardiology
- Washington University School of Medicine (2020), Cardio-oncology & Advanced Cardiac Imaging
- Early detection and management/prevention of cancer therapy-related cardiotoxicity
- Utility of cardiovascular imaging in early detection of cancer therapy-related cardiotoxicity
A Guide to Cardio-Oncology.. In IC-OS Board Review Manual: A Guide to Cardio-Oncology.
Lenihan DJ, Alvarez-Cardona JA, Baliga R eds (Ed.) (2020). Tampa, FL,
Chapter 16: MRI Techniques to Monitor Cardiac Safety During and After Cancer Treatment.. In The Washington Manual of Cardio-Oncology
Vallabhaneni S, Woodard PK, Lanza GM, Lenihan DJ (2021). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Chapter 2: Cardiac Dysfunction: Traditional Chemotherapy, HER2-based therapy, and Radiation. In The Washington Manual of Cardio-Oncology
Vallabhaneni S, Krone RJ, Zhang K (2021). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Academic Excellence Award
St. Luke's University Health Network (2020)
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) David C. Leach Award
Received this award based on quality improvement projects in internal medicine residency (2018)
- American College of Physicians (ACP) - Profiles in Excellence Award
Maryland Chapter (2017)
- Medstar Health Excellence in Palliative Care Award
- Medstar Health Excellence in Research Award
- National ACP Young Achiever
- Travel Grant Award
Research Presentation at HFSA (Heart Failure Society of America) (2016)
- International Cardio-Oncology Society (2019)
- American Heart Association (2016)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American College of Physicians (2014)