Weiyi Tan, M.D., M.P.H., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Cardiology. He specializes in adult congenital heart disease, adult congenital transcatheter interventions, and transition of care from adolescent to adult congenital cardiology.
Dr. Tan earned his medical degree at Duke University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in internal medicine and pediatrics at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he also received advanced training through fellowships in adult cardiovascular disease, adult congenital heart disease, and adult interventional cardiology.
He also holds a master’s degree in public health from the Gillings School of Global Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular disease and by the American Board of Pediatrics, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Tan has delivered numerous presentations, contributed to the book Intensive Care of the Adult with Congenital Heart Disease, and published several academic articles.
While completing his residency and fellowships at UCLA, he received several honors for his teaching, including the Internal Medicine Residency Fellow Teaching Award in 2017 and the Cardiology Fellowship Teaching Award in 2018.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (2010)
- Graduate School
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (2010), Public Health
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2011)
- UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine (2015), Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
- UCLA Medical Center (2018), Cardiovascular Disease
- UCLA Medical Center (2020), Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- UCLA Medical Center (2021), Interventional Cardiology
- Adult Congenital Interventional Device Development
- Congenital Heart Disease and Transplant
- Single Ventricle Physiology and Outcomes
- Emergency Medical Services Responses to Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest and Suspected ST-Segment-Elevation Myocardial Infarction During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Los Angeles County.
- Rollman JE, Kloner RA, Bosson N, Niemann JT, Gausche-Hill M, Williams M, Clare C, Tan W, Wang X, Shavelle DM, Rafique AM, J Am Heart Assoc 2021 06 10 12 e019635
- Peripheral venous pressure accurately predicts central venous pressure in the adult Fontan circulation.
- Tan W, Small A, Gallotti R, Moore J, Aboulhosn J, Int J Cardiol 2021 03 326 77-80
- Orthotopic Heart and Combined Heart Liver Transplantation: the Ultimate Treatment Option for Failing Fontan Physiology.
- Reardon LC, Lin JP, VanArsdell GS, Kaldas FM, Lluri G, Tan W, Whalen KM, Cruz D, Nsair A, Deng MC, Moore MA, Laks H, Biniwale RM, Saab S, Baird A, Wilson JM, Lubin LN, Marijic J, Williams TM, Wray CL, Meltzer JS, Gudzenko V, Kratzert WB, Neelankavil J, Venick RS, Aboulhosn JA, Curr Transplant Rep 2021 Feb 1-12
- Utility of the long DrySeal sheath in facilitating transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation with the Edwards Sapien 3 valve.
- Fukuda T, Tan W, Sadeghi S, Lin J, Salem M, Levi D, Aboulhosn J, Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2020 11 96 6 E646-E652
- Single Center Trends in Acute Coronary Syndrome Volume and Outcomes During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Tan W, Parikh RV, Chester R, Harrell J, Franco V, Aksoy O, Dave R, Rafique A, Press M, Cardiol Res 2020 Aug 11 4 256-259
- The cardiovascular burden of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a focus on congenital heart disease.
- Tan W, Aboulhosn J, Int J Cardiol 2020 06 309 70-77
- The End-Of-Life Experience For Adults With Congenital Heart Disease: Resource Utilization, Functional Decline, and Circumstances Surrounding Death
- Small, A, Fernando, A, Tan, W, Karlin, D, and Aboulhosn, J International Journal of Cardiology Congenital Heart Disease 2020 1
- Echocardiographic guidance of interventions in adults with congenital heart defects.
- Tan W, Aboulhosn J, Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2019 Oct 9 Suppl 2 S346-S359
- Maternal Fontan procedure is a predictor of a small-for-gestational-age neonate: a 10-year retrospective study.
- Afshar Y, Tan W, Jones WM, Canobbio M, Lin J, Reardon L, Lluri G, Aboulhosn J, Koos BJ, Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2019 08 1 3 100036
- Role of Music for Conscious Sedation During Invasive Cardiac Catheterization.
- Ebrahimi R, Tan W Am. J. Cardiol. 2018 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Teaching Award
UCLA Cardiology Fellowship (2018)
- Fellow Teaching Award
UCLA Internal Medicine Residency (2017)
- Resident Teaching Award
UCLA Internal Medicine Residency (2015)
- Excellence in Teaching with Humanism Residents and Fellows Award
UCLA School of Medicine (2014)
- UCLA CI-CARE ARC Medical Program Award
Commendation for Patient Communication (2014)
- Trainee Award for Best Abstract in Clinical/Translational Research
Duke Department of Pediatrics Research Retreat (2010)
- Adult Congenital Heart Association (2019)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2010)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)