Maryjane Farr, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Cardiology. She is Chief of the Heart Failure, LVAD, and Cardiac Transplantation Program.
Dr. Farr’s clinical interests include organ allocation, primary graft failure, mechanical circulatory support, and overall survival of patients with advanced heart failure.
Dr. Farr holds a bachelor’s degree in philosophy with honors from Columbia University, where she also received her medical degree and a master’s in patient-oriented research. She completed internal medicine residency training at Weill Cornell Medical College, then completed advanced training through a fellowship in heart failure and transplantation at Columbia University Medical Center.
Dr. Farr is board-certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular diseases, and heart failure and transplantation. She served on the faculty of Columbia University Irving Medical Center, where she was also Medical Director of the Adult Heart Transplant Program, before joining the UT Southwestern Faculty in 2021. She holds the Jackie and Charles Solomon Distinguished Chair in Clinical Excellence.
Dr. Farr’s research interests include heart failure, mechanical circulatory support, and transplant. Her investigations have resulted in more than 100 publications in peer-reviewed journals and many contributions to book chapters, reviews, and editorials. Additionally, she is a frequent speaker regionally and nationally.
Her awards include an NIH training grant for her master’s degree and the Shorin Silverstein Research in Transplant Award at Columbia. She has been a member of the medical honor society Alpha Omega Alpha since 1997.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Farr serves as lecturer, preceptor, and mentor in cardiovascular pathophysiology, heart failure, mechanical circulatory support, and heart transplant.
Dr. Farr has participated in scholarly work and education with the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, the Heart Failure Society of America, the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) and the Association of Surgical Technologists. She chairs the Conflict of Interest Committee for the ISHLT.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1998)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College (2001), Internal Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College (2004), Cardiovascular Disease
- Graduate School
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health (2011), Biostatistics
- Advanced heart failure patients supported with ambulatory inotropic therapy: What defines success of therapy?
- Grubb CS, Truby LK, Topkara VK, Bohnen MS, Yuzefpolskaya M, DeFilippis EM, Kleet A, Nakagawa S, Haythe JH, Axsom K, Colombo P, Takeda K, Uriel N, Sayer G, Garan H, Naka Y, Farr M, Am Heart J 2021 09 239 11-18
- Outcomes of Heart Transplantation in Adult Congenital Heart Disease With Prior Intracardiac Repair.
- Kainuma A, Sanchez J, Ning Y, Kurlansky PA, Axsom K, Farr M, Sayer G, Uriel N, Takayama H, Naka Y, Takeda K, Ann Thorac Surg 2021 09 112 3 846-853
- Plasma kallikrein predicts primary graft dysfunction after heart transplant.
- Giangreco NP, Lebreton G, Restaino S, Jane Farr M, Zorn E, Colombo PC, Patel J, Levine R, Truby L, Soni RK, Leprince P, Kobashigawa J, Tatonetti NP, Fine BM, J Heart Lung Transplant 2021 Jul
- Consensus conference on heart-kidney transplantation.
- Kobashigawa J, Dadhania DM, Farr M, Tang WHW, Bhimaraj A, Czer L, Hall S, Haririan A, Formica RN, Patel J, Skorka R, Fedson S, Srinivas T, Testani J, Yabu JM, Cheng XS, Am J Transplant 2021 07 21 7 2459-2467
- Extracorporeal photopheresis and its role in heart transplant rejection: prophylaxis and treatment.
- Slomovich S, Bell J, Clerkin KJ, Habal MV, Griffin JM, Raikhelkar JK, Fried JA, Vossoughi SR, Finnigan K, Latif F, Farr MA, Sayer GT, Uriel N, Clin Transplant 2021 07 35 7 e14333
- Exception Status Listing in the New Adult Heart Allocation System: A New Solution to an Old Problem?
- Topkara VK, Clerkin KJ, Fried JA, Griffin J, Raikhelkar J, Hi Lee S, Latif F, Habal M, Horn E, Farr MA, Takada K, Naka Y, Jorde UP, Sayer G, Uriel N, Circ Heart Fail 2021 Jun 14 6 e007916
- Prevalence and predictors of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies among solid organ transplant recipients with confirmed infection.
- Burack D, Pereira MR, Tsapepas DS, Harren P, Farr MA, Arcasoy S, Cohen DJ, Mohan S, Emond JC, Hod EA, Verna EC, Am J Transplant 2021 06 21 6 2254-2261
- Outcomes of COVID-19 in solid organ transplant recipients: A matched cohort study.
- Pereira MR, Arcasoy S, Farr MA, Mohan S, Emond JC, Tsapepas DS, Shi Q, Purpura L, Uhlemann AC, Zucker J, Verna EC, Transpl Infect Dis 2021 May e13637
- T cell repertoire analysis suggests a prominent bystander response in human cardiac allograft vasculopathy.
- Habal MV, Miller AMI, Rao S, Lin S, Obradovic A, Khosravi-Maharlooei M, See SB, Roy P, Shihab R, Ho SH, Marboe CC, Naka Y, Takeda K, Restaino S, Han A, Mancini D, Givertz M, Madsen JC, Sykes M, Addonizio LJ, Farr MA, Zorn E, Am J Transplant 2021 04 21 4 1465-1476
- Preexisting melanoma and hematological malignancies, prognosis, and timing to solid organ transplantation: A consensus expert opinion statement.
- Al-Adra DP, Hammel L, Roberts J, Woodle ES, Levine D, Mandelbrot D, Verna E, Locke J, D'Cunha J, Farr M, Sawinski D, Agarwal PK, Plichta J, Pruthi S, Farr D, Carvajal R, Walker J, Zwald F, Habermann T, Gertz M, Bierman P, Dizon DS, Langstraat C, Al-Qaoud T, Eggener S, Richgels JP, Chang GJ, Geltzeiler C, Sapisochin G, Ricciardi R, Krupnick AS, Kennedy C, Mohindra N, Foley DP, Watt KD, Am J Transplant 2021 02 21 2 475-483
- Circulation (2021)
- International Heart and Lung Transplant (2021)
- Transplantation (2021)
- UNOS/OPTN Board of Directors (2021)
- New York State Certificate of Need Committee (2019)